Original ammo box Requirement?

Areaonereal

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Anyone traveling from the USA thru or to JNB have any issues with SAP regarding ammo in the slip top plastic boxes.

I just got back about 10 days ago and took a combo of factory ammo for my 35 Whelen and handloads for my 6.5x55 in those green 20-rd MTM boxes. No one in ATL or JNB even asked to see my ammo case, much less look inside. They just wanted to know that it was in a locked case in my checked baggage.

I do think using a reputable pre-arranged rifle permit service helps, btw. They have relationships with the SAPS folks and seem to smooth the process.

Definitely hire a rifle permit service. They have the connections and no one gives them any grief. Just a few Rand in the right place and all is well. When you figure how many hunters they bring through in a day, that's pretty good money for the SAPS people. They can get you through the check in lines much faster, also. I had a tight connection in Joburg my last trip and the agent walked me right to the head of the line. Well worth every penny.

This is my sixth trip in as many years. Always used Mr X. Painless procedure thru SAPS. Never an issue with ammo, no one has ever looked at it...just with a comment or two in previous posts regarding original ammo box had me wondering. Since no one else is noting an issue with ammo boxes I see no reason to be concerned whether they are in plastic or original boxes

I've been to Africa twice using Rifle Permits. Neither time did they look at my ammo. Just remember if anyone asks, ALL AMMO IS COMMERCIAL, NOT HANDLOADED!! It would be smart to have all the same headstamps on similar rounds, just to avoid suspicion.

This is my sixth trip in as many years. Always used Mr X. Painless procedure thru SAPS. Never an issue with ammo, no one has ever looked at it...just with a comment or two in previous posts regarding original ammo box had me wondering. Since no one else is noting an issue with ammo boxes I see no reason to be concerned whether they are in plastic or original boxes
The easiest way to find Mr X is via Facebook.
Xolile Monakali
As for ammo I use the plastic cases. The only question anyone has ever asked is “ Is the ammo in individual separated containers , or loose in a bag? “ They don’t want them loose and bouncing around. Make sure the small case you lock your ammo inside has a luggage tag on it because on the flight out of joburg they will make it fly home outside of your checked bag it came into the country from. After 9 trips over and back this is the only thing that seems to be a standard that has never changed.

The easiest way to find Mr X is via Facebook.
Xolile Monakali
As for ammo I use the plastic cases. The only question anyone has ever asked is “ Is the ammo in individual separated containers , or loose in a bag? “ They don’t want them loose and bouncing around. Make sure the small case you lock your ammo inside has a luggage tag on it because on the flight out of joburg they will make it fly home outside of your checked bag it came into the country from. After 9 trips over and back this is the only thing that seems to be a standard that has never changed.

That is strange and opposite of what I've experienced. Six trips and ammo in a pelican case was always in my checked bag flying home. This is with Delta, Air France, and SAA out of Joburg.

I just returned from Namibia had no issues going at all. Of course TSA opened my bag in the baggage area and looked and tagged my ammo. Only hitch was when leaving Namibia the hard locked plastic ammo box needed to come out of my baggage and tagged separately as they do in Joberg when flying back to the states. Otherwise all smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois