Opinions please: Pros/Cons of .375 Ruger vs .375 H&H

.375 Ruger is superior in every way to .375 H&H. Rifle and ammo availability is excellent now.
.375 H&H has the value of nostalgia and is also readily available,
I don't recommending reloading for DG.
I could not imagine not loading my own for dangerous game or any other hunting for that matter.
I think a 375hh vs ruger debate is about the same as a 300wm vs 300prc debate. Not much differnce in either cartridge.
I went with a 375HH for ammo availability, reloading components and nostalgia

Agree, i have reloaded all my bullets for every hunt

I have had 3 375 H&H, a Merkel SXS, a mod 70 and a browning stainless A bolt. My favorite that I used several times in Alaska is the Abolt, very light, short bolt throw and accurate, the worst was the 70. much heavier than it needs to be a Long bolt throw which forced me to go gloveless in cold weather since it would interfere with a full bolt throw and in practice had failure to feed eject due to that. The Merkel is heavy and have not hunted it but you are always guaranteed to have a quick back up shot with a SXS. As far as which cartridge is better they are essentially the same and the length of pull to be is irrelevant

I keep hearing people going on about the ammo availability myth. Since the "the virus" everyone seemed to be pretty desperate for ammo. Nobody on the properties we were on had any, and our leftovers were eyeballed pretty heavily. When we were there in August, the big two had a few boxes of 375 Ruger and no 375 H&H. Now, both are on the shelves in many of the ammo stores. Both are pretty damn common now.

And if your gear doesn't show... you'll be shooting a camp rifle in whatever cartridge and ammo they have. Then you can't control it.

Last edited:
I used to believe that as well until I met the factory DG ammo from a very familiar manufacturer that simply went 'click' during a practice session.

Never again.
Do tell!

...it’s that nagging feeling that “ maybe I should just have a H&H” easy to find ammo & verity of choice “
end result is it really doesn’t matter
It doesn't really matter...until it does.

Get the H&H and quiet that voice in the back of your head.

Performance wise? Same difference. Nil. Zero. Nada. Zilch!

Even this guy has been stocking .375 H&H ammo for over one hundred years.

Duka on the moon.jpg

Good luck with the .375 Ruger!

Oh, I am not biased, the same applies to .376 Steyr, .375 RUM, .375 Saturn (Lazzeroni), .375 Imperial (Canadian), .375 Wby (but at least its saving grace is that you can shoot .375 H&H in its chamber), .375 Norma, 9.5x66mm vom Hofe (did any one ever see one in the field?), .375 Lapua, etc.

Last edited:
I understand that everybody is on a budget, but for the most part you will get what you pay for. A reliable DG rifle and scope usually start around $2K (if you find a good deal on a used one) and go up from there.

My vote is for the 375H&H because of what’s been said so many times by others…mostly resale and ammo availability.

As for the the Ruger out performing the H&H, I’d like to meet the buffalo who could tell the difference.

Reality is the difference in performance is almost nil. I get the principle of making a 375 that fits in a 30-06 action, but IMO the minor performance increase doesn’t overcome the advantages of the H&H availability.

EDIT - If you want to keep your rifle shorter, take a look at the Blaser R8. It places the magazine on top of the trigger group for an OAL that is about 4” shorter with all other things being equal. Also of note is in the standard barrel and aluminum receiver, the weight is 7.5 lbs. There you go…advantages of a shorter rifle while still using a classic cartridge.
Careful, I was leaning toward the 375 Ruger, but was convinced to buy an R8 in 375 H&H by the hive mind on this forum…

A very classic cartridge in a very non-traditional rifle. Delightfully off-beat, but a great choice.

Can you find me some 375 ruger brass?

Sportsmans Warehouse
Ammo
Brass
Safari Outdoors SA
Ammo
Brass

I have both the 375 H&H and 375 Ruger. They both work great, and both did a fine job in Africa and have done so in Alaska. I google for all the stuff often. It all goes in and out of stock quite rapidly nowdays.

Attachments

• Advanced Search Results.pdf
    352.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Rifle Brass Cases | Calibre: 375 RUGER.pdf
    271.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Rifle, Handgun & Pistol Reloading Brass | Sportsman's Warehouse.pdf
    281.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I can get brass for 375 H&H relatively easy (comes and goes), but 375 Ruger... not nearly as much, and get asked for that and 416 Ruger relatively often. All that being said, get what makes you happy because none of it is cheap (but I'll still try and tempt you with a good deal from time to time).

NormaBarnes375.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Careful, I was leaning toward the 375 Ruger, but was convinced to buy an R8 in 375 H&H by the hive mind on this forum…

A very classic cartridge in a very non-traditional rifle. Delightfully off-beat, but a great choice.
You made a wise decision. Congratulations on the innovative R8 in a classic cartridge.

The .375H&H can easily be loaded to 9.3X62 velocities or even .38-55 levels or up to full throttle. It’s a great ctg, well deserving of its reputation. With a 270gr bullet it shoots as flat as the .30-06 using a 180gr bullet. It’s a fine ctg.

Because I'm a versatile hunter, waterfowl, turkey, small game, big game, turkey, varmint, and quota hunt where shotgun with slugs only or muzzleloader, and muzzleloader season, I couldn't have just 2 rifles in my safe. Need a 22 cal, a 12 gauge with smooth and slug barrels, and a 60 cal flintlock smooth bore muzzleloader to go with the 375 H&H and 30-06.

Hmmm....could substitute 38-55, 45-70, 44-40, or 340WBY, maybe 7.7 x 58 JAP, for the 30-06 and the 32-20 for the 22 cal.

Never said I wanted to be limited to 2, only if I had to be.

I can get brass for 375 H&H relatively easy (comes and goes), but 375 Ruger... not nearly as much, and get asked for that and 416 Ruger relatively often. All that being said, get what makes you happy because none of it is cheap (but I'll still try and tempt you with a good deal from time to time).

I'd like to know if anyone can find any 416 Rigby brass...

I did not read this entire thread so I don't know if it has been discussed. But the truth is to many the thought or even the possibility/ability to buy a 5K rifle is ridiculous. A $500 Mossberg or a $700 Savage in .375 Ruger will get it done. No Cheap .375 HH rifles out there!

Awaiting hive reaction! :A Popcorn:

Never said I wanted to be limited to 2, only if I had to be.

Pre-empted strike on the.....only having 2 rifles.... threads that I anticipate to be forthcoming. ;)

Only beginners and amateurs will only have 2 rifles.:LOL:

My stateside hunting is elk with a .300 Wby Mark V, deer/antelope with Win 70 .30-06, also Win 94 .30-30.
I’d suggest forgetting about either and going for a bigger DG rifle.

Your .300wby puts out about 4,100lbs ME. I’d skip the .375 which has about the same energy and step up to a .416 Rigby, .458wm, or .458 Lott with 5,100-5,800lbs ME.

Just my two cents. .375 H&H will make it much easier to find ammunition if the airline misplaces your luggage. .375 Ruger rifles are pretty easy to come by in the US. One setup that looks like a good deal is a Ruger Guide gun with a suppressor. Reduces recoil and with very few exceptions lower recoil increases accuracy. 375 Ruger has slightly higher velocity but you are limited to brands of ammunition unless you roll your own.

I wanted a good all weather brush gun so I bought a fair condition sako AV Fiberclass 375H&H for $1,000. Took it to the gunsmith, cut the barrel down to 21” and got it cerakoted ($50 barrel cut and crown and $300 cerakote). Threw rings and a scope on it and it comes in under 10lbs with scope.
Dialed in some loads for my upcoming buff hunt - 300 gr aframes at 2,520 fps. Even with a short barrel.
If you’re looking for a good budget gun with the possibly of resale after use - I’d go the H&H route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinVvw21

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.