Opinion needed

Some synthetic stocks are solid as a rock. Then there are the el cheapos known here in the states as Tupperware stocks. Any self respecting rifleman throws them in the recycle bin as they are flimsy, flexible and will cause variations in point of impact.

In the budget rifle class I really like the Patriot. I would only own one in a standard cartridge though, I would not own one in a magnum.

It's purely personal but for me a 300 WinMag and 7mm RemMag warrant a 26" barrel. 22" is too short for me. Muzzle blast is increased also with a 22" barrel.

I'm not going to take the time to research it but common sense tells me the velocity gap between a 30-06 and 300 WinMag or .280 Remington and 7mm Mag is going to be much smaller if all are shot from a 22" barrel.

Randy Wakeman, an online gun writer who will call a junky rifle, a junky rifle, did a review on the Mossberg Patriot awhile back. Very good trigger and accurate, for a low, low price.
http://randywakeman.com/ReviewMossbergPatriotWalnut270WinchesterBoltActionRifle.htm

http://randywakeman.com/TheCurrentStateoftheAffordableBoltActionRifle.htm

http://randywakeman.com/CheapBoltActionRifleMania.htm

There is a pretty positive write up on the Mossberg Patriot "Revere" in Whitetail Journal this month also written by Scott Mayer.. apparently he is a pretty big fan..

The Revere is actually a pretty nice looking rifle for the price point (MSRP $823) with grade 2.0 european walnut, rosewood grip cap and foreend, etc..

I like mosberg 500 pump shot guns they are tanks not pretty but always work. As regards their rifles thats another matter and I would say hit or miss maybe get a good one maybe not. Buy the sako or tikka way better guns. 22" barrel is too short for a 7mm or 300 mag. there is no reason to have that short of a barrel on a mag in south africa. you need the barrel lenght to burn that power and get the velocity and better accuracy balance the gun out better too. 24" min on those calibers and 26" ideal. As someone else said by once and buy the best you can afford and then get a decent scope on it. i just think you can make a better purchase than a mossberg rifle for the money. sako and tikka are better no questions asked hands down.

like buckdog said 22" is far too short for a magnum. The non magnum calibers do fine with shorter barrels but 24" is the lower limit for 7mm and 300 mag. at 22" you have a loud 270 or 308 and a whole lot of unburned powder, muzzle flash and associated blast

Sounds like you sold yourself on the Patriot. I also read up on them but wanted something my gunsmith would have pleasure working on. I purchased a Sako A7 BG in 6.5 Creedmoor, what a dream rifle and it shoots the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr. as if they were handloads.
A wood stock will give you a little more weight for better stability of the firearm vs. the syn.

There is a pretty positive write up on the Mossberg Patriot "Revere" in Whitetail Journal this month also written by Scott Mayer.. apparently he is a pretty big fan..

The Revere is actually a pretty nice looking rifle for the price point (MSRP $823) with grade 2.0 european walnut, rosewood grip cap and foreend, etc..

I saw that write up in Whitetail (I received that magazine, but I am not a subscriber so I don't know anything about the writers) and the review was good. The photos showed the wood stock and for a "budget" gun the stock was fairly nice. Also in Bugle (RMEF) they too had a very short write up about that gun in 375 with the 22" barrel nothing negative.

I saw that write up in Whitetail (I received that magazine, but I am not a subscriber so I don't know anything about the writers) and the review was good.

Im not a subscriber either.. but it showed up in the mail last week for some reason...

I'm guessing they got my name/address from DSC or the NRA or some other gun or hunting organization I belong to and sent me a copy as a teaser/bait in hopes I would subscribe..

Not a bad magazine from what I can tell... I just dont read a whole lot of printed magazines anymore these days to know much about the more popular writers and gear reviewers... I typically get my info from forums like this one, blogs, online magazines, etc.. I pretty much only buy magazines and newspapers when I'm at airports and looking for something to occupy some time while I am on long haul flights..

A

Awesome thanks! I get the feeling it will depend on the gun and ammo. maybe it will drop maybe it wont

Don't forget he has a 375 Ruger which is designed for short barrels. You are going to take a real beating in velocity with a 7mm or 300 mag

like buckdog said 22" is far too short for a magnum. The non magnum calibers do fine with shorter barrels but 24" is the lower limit for 7mm and 300 mag. at 22" you have a loud 270 or 308 and a whole lot of unburned powder, muzzle flash and associated blast

This is an adage from the older days that simply doesn't ring true anymore with advances in powders, barrels, and machining.

I shoot a few 300 win's in exclusively 22" barrels, and 1 more in a 21" barrel. In a 22" Rem 700 with Krieger barrel cut to 22", I run factory federal 180 NP and get ~2750 FPS. Box states 2960. With my loads, I am getting ~2975 with once reloaded federal brass, the same 180 NP and no pressure signs.

Muzzle blast difference is non existent to the shooter nor my PH or fellow hunters here or on the line at the range.

Why do I like the 22" barrel? I was tired of longer barrels hitting bushes, branches, etc. Never hurt my performance when I get to shoot over 1k at some steel either. My 21" 300 win is a TC encore that is about 35" overall. Best backwoods bush gun I have next to my levers. As long as you reload, barrel length can easily be cut back for a hunting rifle.

Interesting article showing very little velocity loss in a 300 Win Mag test. same authors did various tests on a few calibers:

https://rifleshooter.com/2013/12/30...rrel-length-change-velocity-a-16-300-win-mag/

Attachments

• Screenshot (97).png
    Screenshot (97).png
    930.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot (98).png
    Screenshot (98).png
    972.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot (99).png
    Screenshot (99).png
    824.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot (100).png
    Screenshot (100).png
    957.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot (101).png
    Screenshot (101).png
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot (102).png
    Screenshot (102).png
    652 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot (103).png
    Screenshot (103).png
    468.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot (104).png
    Screenshot (104).png
    274.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot (105).png
    Screenshot (105).png
    261 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot (106).png
    Screenshot (106).png
    277 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot (107).png
    Screenshot (107).png
    108.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot (108).png
    Screenshot (108).png
    121.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot (109).png
    Screenshot (109).png
    226.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot (110).png
    Screenshot (110).png
    212.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot (111).png
    Screenshot (111).png
    138.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot (112).png
    Screenshot (112).png
    143 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot (113).png
    Screenshot (113).png
    181.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot (114).png
    Screenshot (114).png
    140.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot (115).png
    Screenshot (115).png
    235.2 KB · Views: 120
I've never been a huge fan of Mossberg rifles, the fit and finish just doesn't seem to match up to other rifles even in the same price range. That said, Mossbergs work and its tough to mess one up.

Personally, I'd save an extra $200 and get a Ruger American Magnum or a Savage 110 Trophy XP and that one will come with a Nikon 3-9x40.
JakeH
I would personally take the patriot over the Ruger American
Mossberg Patriot.
Savage barrel locking and head space system, lightening trigger similar to the accutrigger. The best Features from other rifles borrowed to combine into an accurate reliable rifle.
Ruger American
From personal experience.
At the range the person next to me was using a Ruger American. First round brand new rifle factory federal 80 grain blue box ammo rifle chambered and fired no issues. Second round wouldn't fit the rifle, third round no issues chambering but bolt handle fell of on closing. No excess force used.
Rifle sent back and replaced.
Bolt fell apart BEFORE a round was chambered, just working the bolt normally.
In the first instance you could say it was possibly the ammunition but I don't know. The second rifle was taken to the range and hadn't even fired a shot.
Ruger makes good products but that turned me off the American.
Cheers mate Bob

When it comes to the Patriot I would say "Don't try to make it something it's not".
If you have felt the stock and it feels cheap...
The trigger doesn't feel right to you...
The action isn't as smooth as you would like...
Etc...

Don't buy a rifle, invest $$$ in upgrades and still have a rifle you may not be happy with.
Buy a rifle you will be happy with from the start, bone stock with no major upgrades.

The Patriot is an inexpensive rifle that is very capable of getting the job done.
You may encounter some issues with accuracy or inconsistencies with the rifle.
At that price point, that is what you can expect.
If you are okay with that, it is a good choice.

Hi Grensvegter
I'm also from RSA, so understand your woes...
About 8 years ago, while working in Zambia, I bought a friend of mine (he couldn't afford a rifle, but loved to hunt with us) a Mosdberg rifle in 308 caliber. It was the basic synthetic stock version... Was as accurate as hell BUT had a major problem with cartridge feed due to magazine plate and spring issues... Jammed on 2nd or 3rd feed.
I reckon this could have been fixed, but not in Zambia.
We left Zambia and went to work in the DRC.. He sold the rifle in Zambia.

I realize this is an old thread so you may have already purchased your rifle. But for anyone with a similar thought. My son who is in the military and I walked into our local gun shop where he spied a new rifle on their rack and asked to see it. Now we have both owned Mossberg shotguns and slug guns (rifles barrels with sights used for deer or bear hunting). My son called me over and said Dad look aT this gun, it's a Mossberg. Now Mossberg is what I would describe as a utilitarian firearms maker. The gun he handed me was a Mossberg Patriot Revere in 6.5 creedmor. I looked it over and two words came to mind that I never thought I would put in th he same sentence, Mossberg and beautiful. The wood was gorgeous the trigger was great and the gun fit very well.My son said I am thinking about buying it. I told him if you don't I will. This was a week before deer season. He bought 2 boxes of ammo remington core locks and Hornady underperformance both 140 grain bullets.My son had reserve duty that week so asked me to sight it in for him. Went to a friend's place who has a 200 yard range. Gun was overnighted at shop.took 2 rounds to get it 2 inches over bull with the core locks next 3 rounds for group winter into 3/4 ". My friend and I checked the group and we were both impressed. I told him here you shoot the next group with the Hornady underperformance. They grouped 2 inches height into a tight 5/8" cluster. We were absolutely amazed. The barrel is free floated so no worries about garbage. Can't speak to 7mms or 300 WM but this gun can shoot and is downright beautiful..

From what I've gathered in the past you lose between 40-50 fps per inch lost in barrel length. Typically these two calibers performance is based on a 26 inch barrel, so you'll lose 160-200 fps. It's not optimal, but the 7mm mag is still shooting faster than a 7mm-08 or 7x57, and the 300 WM is still faster than a 308.

As for wood or synthetic, they both work. I like wood, but for that price don't expect amazing figure.
Not sure who said barrels are 22 " but I just measured my son's and the barrel is 24".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.