One of the worst "examples of hunting" I have seen

What shows do these guys go to in the states? I’m going to write them all and make sure they are aware of what is being promoted at their shows. This goes beyond fair chase or not. They have a basic lack of respect for the animals and are willing to hunt them in a manner which causes excess suffering.

What shows do these guys go to in the states? I’m going to write them all and make sure they are aware of what is being promoted at their shows. This goes beyond fair chase or not. They have a basic lack of respect for the animals and are willing to hunt them in a manner which causes excess suffering.
That's a fine idea.

I have been on that very boat and on that river. I know the camerawoman, and I’ve been on the property where the giraffe was shot. I hunted with neither outfitter but had the opportunity to be with others and speak with the camerawoman about the outfitter. She did not like the way he handled clients (overbooking) or how many animals were “harvested” rather than hunted. I will say this was all on my first visit to Africa and I was not pleased with the “put-and-take” style of game management which was occurring even on the enormous ranches. I feel like this outfitter is booking too many clients, and clients that have tight schedules or huge trophy lists. This makes the outfitter make poor choices with regard to means of pursuit and take. In the time of COVID game ranchers need clients to shoot animals in order to make money, but sometimes outfitters need to say “No” that’s not the way to do it. I specifically remember one night the camerawoman told us at dinner that there were more than 40 clients at dinner and the outfitter had shuffled some clients to a camera safari so that he could bring another group in and complete their safari while the original group took their unplanned camera safari.
40 clients at dinner?!?! That's crazy and part of the reason I booked with a "small" outfitter who only books one party at a time which will be just me. It's crazy that this guy gets 40 clients!!! This ph and others like him are going to be the end of hunting in Africa, or at least be the end of trophy exportation.

40 clients at dinner?!?! That's crazy and part of the reason I booked with a "small" outfitter who only books one party at a time which will be just me. It's crazy that this guy gets 40 clients!!! This ph and others like him are going to be the end of hunting in Africa, or at least be the end of trophy exportation.
Yeah, each dinner guest might get one beer every other day and have to scrounge for bottles of water when hunting? Those guys would be trading cartridges for bottles of water. LOL

This outfitter has a big booth at the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo each February in Salt Lake City and they get a lot of people stopping by, probably due to the low price packages they advertise. I spoke with them the first time I went there looking for my first Africa outfitter. They gave a great price quote on the animals I had in my target list. However some other outfitters thankfully warned me to stay far away from them which I ultimately did. They have several guys from Utah who act as their agents at the show.

I harbor no illusions that my email mattered in the least. But I live way off the beaten path; expressing my opinions in person at a show isn't very likely and saying nothing at all seemed like the wrong answer.

I harbor no illusions that my email mattered in the least. But I live way off the beaten path; expressing my opinions in person at a show isn't very likely and saying nothing at all seemed like the wrong answer.
I emailed them too, like yourself won't go to the shows to tell them, but did have to express my opinion to them. Bunch of low lifes

I am completely shocked that idiocy like this actually happens. And I am even more gobsmacked that this disgrace of an outfitter posts videos of it where everyone can see it! Disgusting and shameful behaviour from all involved. If I ever hear of someone thinking of hunting with this outfit I will definitely have a heart to heart with them.
I am so thankful that my one South Africa hunting experience was the polar opposite of these fiascos.

I have a feeling, considering the number of these type of videos from many different outfitters in RSA, that this type of hunting is more the rule than exception in RSA. It seems one really needs to do their due diligence when searching for an outfitter.

Also, in regards to bow hunting if one has to finish the hunt with a rifle then is it really bow hunting or are people fooling themselves?

I think it is more the exception. I also think the client needs to set expectations better. Its their hunt.

And really the PH/outfitter needs to look at a hunters list and give honest feedback, I feel like there is a pressure to complete a list and it takes away from the experience.

If I could give advice to any first time African hunter, pick one or two animals, take what Africa gives you and take notes for the next time, you will be going back. Don't focus on shooting 10 animals in 5 days.

Honestly the helicopter part seems to be from the theater of the absurd. It went from I'm going to stalk a giraffe with my bow to lets get a rifle with a suppressor and take the helicopter up.

I have a feeling, considering the number of these type of videos from many different outfitters in RSA, that this type of hunting is more the rule than exception in RSA. ……
So, you’re implying, yet again, the majority of RSA Outfitters and PH’s operate this way? What rubbish.

To join your trolling with a blanket generalization:
…. since the protagonists in these videos are typically American, as a rule, Americans hunt this way?

There are slob hunters and there are slob PH’s and I have seen evidence from various nationalities in a variety of locations around the world. The fact that videos of this ilk make it to YouTube merely demonstrates that these slobs are clueless. They obviously think there is nothing wrong with what they have done and thus join the rest of the worlds narcissists and share their “incredible feats” on YouTube.

In an attempt to be rational, why don’t you count the number of hunters depicted in these horror films and divide that by the number of hunters headed to South Africa annually. The actual facts will not support your feeling. These slobs are a very small minority.

To avoid the slobs, do your research. If not, ……

I spoke with these guys at the show in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I see why they get a lot of business, there prices are very good and they put on a good show. I think the guy that is going to Africa one time and just wants a bunch of stuff on his wall doesn't care, he is looking at price. Like it or not this is a lot of guys, not me, but I know a bunch that don't know any better. As previously stated I have no real issues with it as long as the people that book truly know what they are getting. However, it should not be posted on YouTube.

If someone wants to shoot domestic" animals and someone wants to provide that resource, call t whatever you want and its not that different from many of the game ranches in the States. Its not hunting, but no different than these canned bird hunts, that I have done and enjoyed. Take it for what it is and try not to separate and divide us.

So, you’re implying, yet again, the majority of RSA Outfitters and PH’s operate this way? What rubbish.

To join your trolling with a blanket generalization:
…. since the protagonists in these videos are typically American, as a rule, Americans hunt this way?

There are slob hunters and there are slob PH’s and I have seen evidence from various nationalities in a variety of locations around the world. The fact that videos of this ilk make it to YouTube merely demonstrates that these slobs are clueless. They obviously think there is nothing wrong with what they have done and thus join the rest of the worlds narcissists and share their “incredible feats” on YouTube.

In an attempt to be rational, why don’t you count the number of hunters depicted in these horror films and divide that by the number of hunters headed to South Africa annually. The actual facts will not support your feeling. These slobs are a very small minority.

To avoid the slobs, do your research. If not, ……
Well put, thank you sir

@Tanks I have the same feelings as you when you wrote
Also, in regards to bow hunting if one has to finish the hunt with a rifle then is it really bow hunting or are people fooling themselves?
But I disagree with your thought that this type of activity is more the norm in RSA than the exception. Obviously these types of activities DO happen, (as evidenced by these videos), but I think that there are way more outfits that DON'T practice this sort of thing, than outfits that do.

I started to get more in detail about WHY I think this type of thing happens, and my theory on it, but it started to grow too much, and I would have been guilty of monopolizing the conversation. Because I have no desire to derail this thread, I may just write another one on what my theory is.

Unfortunately there is a market for people who would like to come over and SHOOT their animals to show off at home. It's been around for years for people who would shoot an animal from a small enclosure to be TOP SCI or whatever.

The outfitter found that market and is capitilizing on it I doubt they have many repeat clients.
I might be wrong and there is more of these types of shooters than I can imagine.

Yes there are other outfitters who run the same show but if you are a member here and did your homework you will have a super time in RSA. There is top quality areas and top quality Outfitters if you can only understand that a fence might be a bit better than your Mexican border but animals still manage to move in and out if they want.

Don't even start about electrical fences we have so much loadshedding these days fence is off 50% of the time. :E Happy:
Fences break storms happens we have a lot of animals escaping National parks especially lions another male lion was killed yesterday after he escaped form Pilansberg farmer shot him when he found the 3 year old male lion with his goats.

Vets then finished him off if I read the story not sure if that is the truth.

As some have pointed out there is some bad videos about hunting in Tanzania as well and if you look hard enough you will find more.

Always commenting on how bad RSA is shooting yourself in the foot its not like hunting is getting bigger and new areas are found anywhere else in Africa but only in RSA and Namibia where cattle farms are converted. Think about that and start with hunting education at home.

I have a feeling, considering the number of these type of videos from many different outfitters in RSA, that this type of hunting is more the rule than exception in RSA.

Why would you make such an inflammatory and idiotic claim?

Thank you for calling this type of nonsense out for what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross