One cartridge to hunt dangerous game for the rest of your life and it can't be a 375, what are you going with?

I like the way you thinking....but for more all round practicality I think I would go for my 416 rigby.....but then if had to follow something up I would be wanting my 500 jeff....why I hate these threads that make you choose one....bloody impossible...but as both look pretty identical I would just sneak both along....

The advantage of your single shot is that you can regulate for about any bullet. I'd be shooting it all over North America with 235gr and 250gr bullets and I'd be using it in Africa with 300gr bullets on eland/leopard/kudu. Oh, and I'd probably develop the hottest, most on a knives edge, kick-the-snot-out-of-you 350gr load I could muster just for use on elephant and buffalo. (yes, you'll suffer brain damage and nose bleeds over extended use, but ten shots in a lifetime for ten megafauna seems a reasonable compromise)

P.S. - Get it with quarter rib and pop up front night-sight bead so you can do the nasty stuff in the thick jess w/o scope!
I am adding the quarter rib and front sight to my rebarrel order. Decided that last week.

Of the guns I own, I would pick my 8-bore. My 416 is my backup. The 8-bore will suck to carry but is a fun piece of history!

Last edited:
My CZ550 458 Lott with the Trjicon SRO 1 MOA dot
With 500gr Safari Bullet Company for softs
500gr Impala Monolithic Solid

5 rounds in the magazine.

At 50 Meters the bullets almost touch each other and who wants to shoot a elephant further out than 50 meters anyway and running away shot it will be close enough to hit whatever is needed.
Comfortable to take shots out on large game out to 200 meters but again except for backup or wounded game no need to shoot that far.

Furthermore with the SRO dot set on very low setting it will work superd on a leopard out of blind in the dark I just would not want to be much further out than 50 meters.

The .458 WM can do much better than that, you just have to use the right bullet from the right platform. If your kudu shows up, chamber a 300 grain round and smack it out to 220 yards with a dead on hold, or use "Texas Elevation" out to 300.

View attachment 593763
Amen Brother hoytcanon.
Zealots of the .458 use the 404-gr Shock Hammer (G1 BC = 0.419) at +2500 fps and zero it dead-on for 200 yards.
Proven cape buffalo killer at close range too, one shot, one dead buffalo..
Use 450-grain CEB FN at 2400 fps MV for elephant,
or 400-gr CEB FN at 2500 fps will do the job too.
Light loads for varmints are fun too.

Anyone thinking the SAAMI .458 Lott is tops, well, anyone with a SAAMI .458 WinMag
can load it to same higher pressure as the SAAMI .458 Lott MAP allows,
and equal it at shorter COL.
Allow longer COL and higher pressure for the .458 WinMag, same as those of the SAAMI .458 Lott,
and the SAAMI .458 Lott becomes the .458 Loser to the .458 WM+.

I will concede that the .458 Lott may be better at imitating a .410 shotgun, but has no practical advantage for 10-yard shots at rats and snakes. A .458 WinMag is fine for that too.

Amen Brother hoytcanon.
Zealots of the .458 use the 404-gr Shock Hammer (G1 BC = 0.419) at +2500 fps and zero it dead-on for 200 yards.
Proven cape buffalo killer at close range too, one shot, one dead buffalo..
Use 450-grain CEB FN at 2400 fps MV for elephant,
or 400-gr CEB FN at 2500 fps will do the job too.
Light loads for varmints are fun too.

Anyone thinking the SAAMI .458 Lott is tops, well, anyone with a SAAMI .458 WinMag
can load it to same higher pressure as the SAAMI .458 Lott MAP allows,
and equal it at shorter COL.
Allow longer COL and higher pressure for the .458 WinMag, same as those of the SAAMI .458 Lott,
and the SAAMI .458 Lott becomes the .458 Loser to the .458 WM+.

I will concede that the .458 Lott may be better at imitating a .410 shotgun, but has no practical advantage for 10-yard shots at rats and snakes. A .458 WinMag is fine for that too.
Know zero about reloading...but how can a shorter case be loaded more than a longer case....surely if you apply what you say to the lott it will still outperform the win mag?......

Know zero about reloading...but how can a shorter case be loaded more than a longer case....surely if you apply what you say to the lott it will still outperform the win mag?......
:E Horrified::E Nono::A Stirring:
And I was just this close to unwatching this thread. You done went and started it again.:A Stirring: :D Pop Popcorn::E Rofl:

Sorry wasn't thinking straight.... :X3: :E Rofl:

Just when we thought it wouldn’t happen again here comes the onslaught of crazy ballistics for the extreme hand loaders out there…stirring the pot and tongue firmly in cheek…458Lott is far superior to 458WM and it’s not even debatable:)

HH

Just when we thought it wouldn’t happen again here comes the onslaught of crazy ballistics for the extreme hand loaders out there…stirring the pot and tongue firmly in cheek…458Lott is far superior to 458WM and it’s not even debatable:)

HH
Say, which of those two cycle better when you're chambering a cartridge from the magazine with the rifle upside down while laying on your back? AND, is there any velocity difference when firing the same two cartridges from a push feed vs. a CRF actioned rifle? LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.