One and Done?

BLJC30

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm scheduled to go on my first Safari next year and I thought it would be a once in a lifetime trip. I keep reading about everyone becoming addicted to it so I was wondering if anyone here or that you may know has ever said they didn't enjoy it enough to want to go back?

I am sure maybe that's been the case for someone... but it's got to be an itty-bitty minority kind of thing.

It has always seemed to me there are three general groups on here: those who want to go, those who have finally made it, and those who go an awful lot and can continue to afford to do so.

I am in the middle group. I went in May of last year for the first time. It crossed my mind that it might be my only time, simply because of cost. But now I'm plotting and scheming and realizing I'll go back as often as I can afford to make happen for the rest of my life.

Dollars to donuts you want to go back after you finally make it.

I don’t personally know that many people that have been to Africa but with exception of 1 person all are planning their next trip before they have finished their 1st trip. The guy that doesn’t seem to want to go back is what I call a “box checker” he just wants to go places so he can say “I’ve done that” nothing wrong with that but wouldn’t work for me!

I would add - and this is just me personally - that for a lot of my life I struggled between soaking up anything I could find about Alaska and avoiding such stuff because the prospect of going seemed so very impossible. When you have five dollars and change to cover food for the next ten days for your two kids... well, Africa did not seem very attainable at that point in life. But life can change.

Now? I have been. It feels so wonderful. It was far better than I ever could have hoped, and it is a part of my conscious thought every day. Now, I see some of the regulars on here that go every year, or sometimes multiple times a year. Am I jealous? You betcha. It gives me something to think about, that maybe life could change again, and even if I can't go that often, well, maybe I have several trips left in my life that will still happen. I hope so.

As the phrase goes, your mileage may vary. Maybe once will be enough. I want to go again, and as often as I can, for as long as I am able to hunt.

will be one year to the day when I return for my next adventure, Aug. 29th this year.....have not even made that trip yet and I am already planing something for my son and I in 2023, yes I would say it is most assuredly not a one and done deal. good luck and enjoy.

I am sure maybe that's been the case for someone... but it's got to be an itty-bitty minority kind of thing.

It has always seemed to me there are three general groups on here: those who want to go, those who have finally made it, and those who go an awful lot and can continue to afford to do so.

I am in the middle group. I went in May of last year for the first time. It crossed my mind that it might be my only time, simply because of cost. But now I'm plotting and scheming and realizing I'll go back as often as I can afford to make happen for the rest of my life.

Dollars to donuts you want to go back after you finally make it.
I went the first time thinking it would be my only time not due to costs but travel time unfamiliar to the experience. I have since gone back a second time and now budget every other year. I have an Africa savings account I add to every month and it enables me to now accomplish my desire to always go back

I booked Cape buffalo in remote Zimbabwe figuring it was going to be my only trip. The intimidation of traveling to hunt went away. I've now been to New Zealand and Mozambique.

I suggest what is/are the animals that you most want, schedule your hunt for those, remember target of opportunity, and expect that on your flight home, you'll be dreaming of the next trip and those other animals you want to hunt or sites to see.

Yes: a very close friend I invited on my 1st trip S. Africa … 4/group, their 1st trip to Africa & my 3rd: I had hunted Namibia & Zimbabwe before. I organized an affordable 7-day hunt, 5/PG Trophy Pkg & perfect for 1st timers.

My close friends wife was very hesitant/uncertain about ‘everything’ & I reassured her - all was well & he would return home stay. Great trip, great hunt & trophies! What went wrong!? “Taxidermy!” He Western mounted all 5/trophies, spent more $$$$ on Taxidermy than Airfare + Hunt combined & I warned him … don’t do it, just pick 2/trophies for mounts.

His wife felt, I didn‘t warn him hard enough (really!) & he got Black Balled & Lost Kitchen Pass for future trips! I just finished my 5th return trip since our hunt together & I don’t email or sent pics anymore cuz, it’s too painful :E Crazy Eyes: for him! True Story!

@Jaegger I would have to periodically send your buddy a photo, or a quick quip about the experience on your last hunt if I were you. I'm fortunate. Ann has come along on both my hunts - 1st hunt she took 3500 photos in 12 days and 2nd hunt - she reduced it to 1800 in 14 days. And, she encouraged me on which to shoulder / wall pedestal mount and which to euro! 2023 / 2024 can't get here soon enough.

In 2018 I booked and made my first trip, thinking it would be my only trip. A once in a lifetime chance to go. Did 7 day plains game and got 8 animals.
Boy was I wrong! I was thinking about how to make a return trip on flight home. Within 20 days of being back trip 2 was booked for 2019, for Buffalo, Sable, Nyala and Springbuck.
Thirty days after returning trip 3 was booked for 2020 which didn’t happen of course.
When travel opened up dates for 2021 set and 21 day safari booked. Thinking this big of a safari would last my fix for at least a couple years. WRONG!!
Within 20 days of return 2022 booked and it went from 14 days to 21 days after initial days were booked. Added Buff again for this year!!
It really doesn’t matter how much you make money wise if you want to go back as bad as I do each year you can and will figure out how to cut your costs and save enough to make your dreams happen. Work over time or extra jobs. Cut back on expenses at home and hunts at home. That’s how I am doing it. Every extra dollars is marked for next safari. I set a max budget for hunt and how much I need to put back each week. It can be done.

I am already setting aside for 2023 trip now.

You can judge fairly well by looking at members' stats under their pic, to see how many have been more than 1x. Those that say 1x are more than likely planning a post-covid return...

I hated my first trip. I have been 6 times since trying to make sure my initial thoughts were correct !

Africa is not a "once in a lifetime hunt." Africa it is simply "one hunt in a lifetime !" Africa is the most addictive hunt you will ever experience. By Day 2 or Day 3 of your first hunt, you will be figuring how you are going to get back ASAP !!!

Go & Enjoy !!

I'm scheduled to go on my first Safari next year and I thought it would be a once in a lifetime trip. I keep reading about everyone becoming addicted to it so I was wondering if anyone here or that you may know has ever said they didn't enjoy it enough to want to go back?
I'm wondering the same thing about sex! Has anyone ever done it and then figured they didn't enjoy it enough to do it again???!?
:E Lol:
Once you go you'll know what I mean! I went for my once-in-a-lifetime trip knowing full well that I'd never be able to make it back. 6 months later I was back in Africa!!! And if it wasn't for covid I would have been back once more!
The Africa Bug bites HARD!!!!!

I don’t personally know that many people that have been to Africa but with exception of 1 person all are planning their next trip before they have finished their 1st trip. The guy that doesn’t seem to want to go back is what I call a “box checker” he just wants to go places so he can say “I’ve done that” nothing wrong with that but wouldn’t work for me!
I have some box checker tendencies. Myself and some buddies are about ready to pull the trigger on booking a big safari in Tanzania. It will be all of our first times to Africa. I am sure it will be amazing and hope it won’t be the last. However, it is a big world and we have lots of fishing, wingshooting and big game trips on the bucket list. I am still working so I only have so much time to take trips each year. Knowing that, I want to experience as much as I can on this first trip. Who knows if there will be a second one

There is nothing like a first safari. Congratulations.
I wanted a Cape buffalo since I was 15. After my divorce, I set two goals: go to Africa by 55 and retire before 60. Both came to fruition. At the time I thought that trip to Zimbabwe in 2013 would be my only one.
After that, I got sick in ‘14 and my ability to hunt was in question. Fortunately, I recovered enough to go to Namibia in ‘18. My brother who doesn’t hunt went with me. He can’t wait to go back.
In ‘20, I went to SCI to plan three more trips. Unfortunately COVID came along and then I developed some health issues. Now my wife has some major health issues.
Will I get back to Africa? I hope so.
Long story short: Go when you can. You never know what life will throw at you.

If one likes to travel and likes to hunt, it is unlikely to not want to return. One trip to Africa is like an art fanatic going to the Louvre for only a few hours. Or maybe it is like just having one French fry or one Dorito.

In Africa I discovered that there was a lot more I needed to learn and experience, so I had to go back.

@sestoppelman ... Mind sharing why it was a one and done for him?
Near as he or I could tell, he just felt like it was something he didnt want to repeat, wanting to keep the memory of the trip as a stand alone affair.
It probably didnt help that the travel part of the trip was a nightmare of late flights, missed flights, missed hunting day, etc.
I think it ruined travel for him forever. He has not fired a gun or traveled anywhere since that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.