"One and Done" Rifle Sickness?

All of my rifles have drawn blood except for one, a Ruger #1 in 270 Weatherby mag. I am keeping her safe and secure until I draw my Wyoming pronghorn tag.

But I am kind of the same way with my knifes. But I'll use one knife for a year. It will clean deer, elk, javelina, fish, and what ever else I happen to bag that year. I will then put a razor edge onto it and move on to the next knife that I purchase.
I always felt I had a twin brother, now its confirmed, I pretty do the same thing with one exception, I carry the same knife on opening day of rifle season as I usually do a tremendous amount of field butcherery that day with an outstanding blade, then I spend the rest if the year trying to find a better knife, simple mind simple pleasure.

I always felt I had a twin brother, now its confirmed, I pretty do the same thing with one exception, I carry the same knife on opening day of rifle season as I usually do a tremendous amount of field butcherery that day with an outstanding blade, then I spend the rest if the year trying to find a better knife, simple mind simple pleasure.
I always have that second proven knife just encase the the first one doesn't work as well as I think it should.

On using a 458 on a rouge deer, I can understand that. I have a cousin whose favorite deer/elk rifle is a .416 Weatherby

I was wondering if there was anyone else that has the "one and done" rifle sickness that I have?? For some reason, I have a policy that once I shoot something with one of my rifles; it goes into the back of the safe until all of my "virgin rifles" have an opportunity to draw blood. There are very few exceptions to this policy, normally due to traveling and hunting multiples on the same hunt.

To date, only the 300 Win Mag, 25-06, 6.5 Creedmoor and the 270 have drawn blood more than once. The one and done rifles currently include my 338 Win Mag, 30 Rem AR and 30-06 are all one shot and done. In waiting I have a 308, 264 Win Mag (next safari), 22-250 (2014 White Tail season), 375 H&H (next Safari), 300 Rem Ultra Mag (elk, if I can get drawn in Arizona or maybe a return to Alaska), and a few 223's that I am playing with. Additionally, if I can either convince the wife that I NEED a 45-70 or can sneak one into the house, it will also become a pending rifle for a future hunt also.
I have the same system. This year my Savage 99 F in 308 is up first. The last time it made meat was a winter hunt in Baudette Minnesota. It was a memorable hunt as I encountered my first wild wolf. I was sitting in an old outhouse watching over a fallow potatoe field that was all of 5 miles long. There was a large rock pile pushed up behind me. I got that eerie feeling I was being watched so turned my head and there he was 50 yards away looking down from the top of the rock pile. He just stood there watching me. Made my blood run cold. Then he just turned and was gone. 4 hours later I killed my one and only Minnesota buck. An omen? Or apparition?

Sometimes its just not about the gun but the journey it takes you on. I use them all and enjoy them all but each has its own special memory.

I have a few rifles, mostly because I like rifles and different cartridges.
Probably in the previous 15 years for larger game, I have used 5 different rifles, 4 different cartridges. Two of those four have been used the majority of time.
I consider these two my favorites for the area that I normally hunt. The other 3 would cover any other area or game that I would hunt.
The others see a little range and fun time. And, I have them for the “what if” hunts. I still enjoy having them and shooting them.
I was wondering if there was anyone else that has the "one and done" rifle sickness that I have?? For some reason, I have a policy that once I shoot something with one of my rifles; it goes into the back of the safe until all of my "virgin rifles" have an opportunity to draw blood. There are very few exceptions to this policy, normally due to traveling and hunting multiples on the same hunt.

To date, only the 300 Win Mag, 25-06, 6.5 Creedmoor and the 270 have drawn blood more than once. The one and done rifles currently include my 338 Win Mag, 30 Rem AR and 30-06 are all one shot and done. In waiting I have a 308, 264 Win Mag (next safari), 22-250 (2014 White Tail season), 375 H&H (next Safari), 300 Rem Ultra Mag (elk, if I can get drawn in Arizona or maybe a return to Alaska), and a few 223's that I am playing with. Additionally, if I can either convince the wife that I NEED a 45-70 or can sneak one into the house, it will also become a pending rifle for a future hunt also.

I have a few rifles, mostly because I like rifles and different cartridges.
Probably in the previous 15 years for larger game, I have used 5 different rifles, 4 different cartridges. Two of those four have been used the majority of time.
I consider these two my favorites for the area that I normally hunt. The other 3 would cover any other area or game that I would hunt.
The others see a little range and fun time. And, I have them for the “what if” hunts. I still enjoy having them and shooting them.
I use mine in rotation. After taking game I switch to another rifle. I usually use 2 or 3 per season depending how my luck runs each year. Next up is my Ruger RSI in 250 savage but it will have to wait until next year. Good hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianguisy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,