John Rigby 303 British

The only fault I can find is it is not in my gun room ....be still my beating heart there is a space between the 300 h&h and the 318 wr for you my girl
 
So according to records only about 100 of these were produced based on the Siamese Pattern slant box magazine which was also used for the 350 rimmed and the ultra rare as in one only 450/400 rimless.
The Mauser serial numbers were issued from 1-100 with a handful falling out of the series.
I have seen rifle 26 43 and 92.
Yours is 29 and I think it belonged to a friend of mine.
If I scratch around my gunroom I’m sure I’ll find the list of all the .303 Rigbys that I’ve managed to catalogue about 10 or so.
I know that Ben Musgrave used these rifles to build his .240 Musgrave which was a necked down .303 so a whole bunch must have been taken out the market. Speed lists this and the Kurtz Mauser as the most desirable to own.
I have one that used to belong to Maj Pretorius the famed elephant hunter.
I know there are 4 slant box 303s here in OZ. Three Rigby’s one of which is a takedown and a Daniel Fraser takedown .
 
The only fault I can find is it is not in my gun room ....be still my beating heart there is a space between the 300 h&h and the 318 wr for you my girl
You are a man after my own heart . That is the gap I want to fill as well . I have two 303 Lee Speed rifles and a Purdey double rifle . Very keen for a slant box .
 
I see the button , ive never seen a 303 on anything but a hinged floor plate semi drop box
I recently passed on a Westley Richards 303 rifle . Made for an Australian in 1920s. It was not a true slant box but a WR concoction . It had an extended magazine extending nearly in line with the trigger guard . The magazine was fixed and wasn’t hinged . I should have bought it because it was so odd . A colonial grade rifle. It was in fairly poor condition but useable . It certainly wasn’t expensive . Just didn’t appeal to me .
 
I recently passed on a Westley Richards 303 rifle . Made for an Australian in 1920s. It was not a true slant box but a WR concoction . It had an extended magazine extending nearly in line with the trigger guard . The magazine was fixed and wasn’t hinged . I should have bought it because it was so odd . A colonial grade rifle. It was in fairly poor condition but useable . It certainly wasn’t expensive . Just didn’t appeal to me .
my friend that Westley Richards concoction is one of the rarest actions they ever altered for a rifle was this it????
1766515797652.png
 
I recently passed on a Westley Richards 303 rifle . Made for an Australian in 1920s. It was not a true slant box but a WR concoction . It had an extended magazine extending nearly in line with the trigger guard . The magazine was fixed and wasn’t hinged . I should have bought it because it was so odd . A colonial grade rifle. It was in fairly poor condition but useable . It certainly wasn’t expensive . Just didn’t appeal to me .
Do you have pics?
 
So according to records only about 100 of these were produced based on the Siamese Pattern slant box magazine which was also used for the 350 rimmed and the ultra rare as in one only 450/400 rimless.
The Mauser serial numbers were issued from 1-100 with a handful falling out of the series.
I have seen rifle 26 43 and 92.
Yours is 29 and I think it belonged to a friend of mine.
If I scratch around my gunroom I’m sure I’ll find the list of all the .303 Rigbys that I’ve managed to catalogue about 10 or so.
I know that Ben Musgrave used these rifles to build his .240 Musgrave which was a necked down .303 so a whole bunch must have been taken out the market. Speed lists this and the Kurtz Mauser as the most desirable to own.
I have one that used to belong to Maj Pretorius the famed elephant hunter.
Was Maj. Pretorius rifle in 303 too?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,572,945
Members
169,655
Latest member
NehuSinhi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top