Once Bitten ... Never Again

Well I almost ended up lion crap because of them and dang near lost a Buffalo too. Now on the buffalo I didn’t make the best of shots but a better bullet would have certainly held together and done more damage.
There are 2 Hunt reports and a ton of retelling of the story on various threads here on AH with my experience with that garbage. I agree their mid and small bore stuff is fairly good (not in the same league as Barnes though) but I do my dead level best to avoid any Hornady ammunition. Their “whitetail” loads are crap at best also.
Thanks. Glad you made it out ok. I have never used their loaded ammunition just buy their bullets to reload. I’ll keep that in mind and steer clear of the dgs stuff. Thanks for the info

I won't buy another Savage Arms rifle. I purchased a Savage 111 as a deer/antelope rifle because it was a relatively inexpensive left-handed offering. The magazine is designed poorly so that even when it latches in the front, the rear sags far enough that the action will not reliably catch and feed subsequent rounds. I expect even a budget modern firearm to function properly at a basic level.

Savage rifles are number one on my shit list. The old ones were way better than the crap they're pumping out now.
Tasco scopes have to be a close second lol
Oh and anything from Harbor Freight

I have also had major issues with multiple beretta shotguns, both over/under and auto loader. I won’t buy another shotgun from them, the product is flawed and the customer service was non existent.

Hornady DGX/DGS

Good luck finding it at any price anyway though.

1609725277821.png

Danner boots. Should be called Blister boots, in the mountains anyway.

Nosler Partition for anything larger than deer. One of the biggest unfortunate marketing triumphs in the industry. Front end disappears and back end doesn’t expand.

Rage broadheads for anything larger than deer. Second biggest unfortunate marketing triumph in the industry. They lose too much energy/penetration when opening on larger big game where penetration is key.

Webley Scott semi auto shotgun
So disgusted I have it away for free

Asolo Boots, seemed like they were made well, and a lot of dudes liked em. But they gave me the worst athletes foot I've ever had.

LAND ROVER any model

I love Asolo boots, pricy but exceptionally well made. Fit me like a glove. And last forever even with daily ware. Athletes foot is a fungus and I would blame the socks first.

I have also had major issues with multiple beretta shotguns, both over/under and auto loader. I won’t buy another shotgun from them, the product is flawed and the customer service was non existent.
None of this is the case if you just deal directly with the Gallery in NY. They have excellent customer service.

+1 Cabela's. I used to buy HD duck/canvas work pants as well as boots, ammo, lots of hunting clothes and hunting and fishing accessories. Not always the best quality but much better than "good enough" Now almost all is Red Head and not worth the purchase price. Plus nothing relating to DG or hunting in Africa except some reasonably good taxidermy on the walls. I used to use my Cabela's Black card to try to get points for "free" gear. Still have a lot of points because the last time I visited, I found nothing I wanted.
Sad, isn't it? Seem like my feelings of disappointment when Cabela's was bought out by BassPro are echoed by many.

Any overconfident gunsmith: one who thinks that hand-filing a base and lapping rings solves mistapped holes, who does not test first the rifles he makes; who tries to fit a safety without having the entire action; who forgets to relieve the stock so that the push-button floor plate will actually work, who does not properly radius the chamber mouth on a Mauser; who doesn’t know how to properly pack a rifle to mail it; who says the rifle feeds fine when it chews the hell out of brass; who does not remember agreeing to make bases in a certain way even though the info and agreement are in writing. And who wastes more of my money taking the rifle to a competent builder to get said items resolved...

I agree with baxterb= I've dealt with products that I like for so long that I have difficulty recalling those that were inferior- But the problem that I have is with service providers, such as gunsmiths. I've dealt with some exceptional but then they get old and retire or sick and die, not that they were pleased with the situation, but then I have to start a search for another qualified gunsmith and the only way that I have found is to talk with people that have used someone, then give the guy a try. Unfortunately about half the time I end up with an action that is at least partially ruined, or is damaged beyond financially responsible repairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!