Once Bitten ... Never Again

There are endless posts on the subject on here. I, too, am a big Hornady fan based on their other lines.

Short summary: theres pretty well documented failures of DGX especially where weight retention was very poor and resulted in wounded game.

Based on the reviews and experiences of the newer DGX BONDED, this has been corrected but the reputation still exists (understandably) and will take a while for people to trust the improved design
As good as Hornady is at marketing, I can’t believe they didn’t change the name of the bullet, maybe DGB or DGXB. Unless, I’m mistaken you can’t tell the difference between factory loaded DGX bonded and older unbonded bullets? The boxes are just labeled DGX correct?

As good as Hornady is at marketing, I can’t believe they didn’t change the name of the bullet, maybe DGB or DGXB. Unless, I’m mistaken you can’t tell the difference between factory loaded DGX bonded and older unbonded bullets? The boxes are just labeled DGX correct?

You read my mind. A company I’ve worked for did the same thing with a product. I told them the name is now as faulty as the product and everything needs to be fresh.

the crappy sales proved it.

There are endless posts on the subject on here. I, too, am a big Hornady fan based on their other lines.

Short summary: theres pretty well documented failures of DGX especially where weight retention was very poor and resulted in wounded game.

Based on the reviews and experiences of the newer DGX BONDED, this has been corrected but the reputation still exists (understandably) and will take a while for people to trust the improved design
I've had good luck with Hornady ELD-X 143 gr 6.5CR. One shot kills on impala and springbok out to 286 yards. They fell right where they stood.

I use Hornady 17HMR ammo, Vmax and SSTs bullets but their brass leaves a lot to be desired.

Almost forgot, Barnes bullets for center fires. Accuracy at anything over 100? Fuggedaboutit!

Must be your rifle/caliber. My Win 70 375HH with 235 gr Barnes TSX and Win 70 7RM with Barnes 160 gr TSX have taken several head out to 225 yards plus.

Must be your rifle/caliber. My Win 70 375HH with 235 gr Barnes TSX and Win 70 7RM with Barnes 160 gr TSX have taken several head out to 225 yards plus.
Glad I’m not alone to argue that point. My 300 and 375 love them at 100 and 300 yards, but I will say my 300 likes the 150 grain much better than 180.

81756A74-ED38-4562-99DF-5BC237DF75AA.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost forgot, Barnes bullets for center fires. Accuracy at anything over 100? Fuggedaboutit!
I'll push my. 340 Weatherby shooting Barnes bullets out to 600+ yards and they'll be in a 4" group. Same thing with my 25-06, only a much smaller group

Barnes bullets give me the best accuracy of any hunting bullet in a majority of my rifles.

Amazing. About 15 years ago, I heard this expression: "If you are not interested in anything other than quality, take the Federal; if you are interested in both price and quality - then Cellier and Bellot; And if you are not interested in anything, then Winchester." Then Federal was considered quite a decent brand. I once bought a Chinese replica of the Ithaca 37 called Brigant. The legendary original was not delivered to us. On the first hunt, I left the skin of my fingers on the burrs of this masterpiece, the wood cracked, and the barrel rusted. And its impossible to sell it for more than 20$, so it stand in box frombthat time.

I'll push my. 340 Weatherby shooting Barnes bullets out to 600+ yards and they'll be in a 4" group. Same thing with my 25-06, only a much smaller group
Show me a ten shot target in the wind at 600 and I'll tell you if they're any good. :)

Show me a ten shot target in the wind at 600 and I'll tell you if they're any good. :)
Right now it would have to be a 10 shot target in the snow.

Any bullet in the wind will give you problems. It can be the best target bullet out there.

Danner boots. Should be called Blister boots, in the mountains anyway.

Nosler Partition for anything larger than deer. One of the biggest unfortunate marketing triumphs in the industry. Front end disappears and back end doesn’t expand.

Rage broadheads for anything larger than deer. Second biggest unfortunate marketing triumph in the industry. They lose too much energy/penetration when opening on larger big game where penetration is key.
IF the rages open! I have been anti-rage so long I forgot how horrible they were until you mentioned them lol good call

I absolutely agree when considering the original Barnes without the bands. They wouldn't shoot accurately in any of my rifles. The new banded bullets are much better in my rifles.

I agree with baxterb= I've dealt with products that I like for so long that I have difficulty recalling those that were inferior- But the problem that I have is with service providers, such as gunsmiths. I've dealt with some exceptional but then they get old and retire or sick and die, not that they were pleased with the situation, but then I have to start a search for another qualified gunsmith and the only way that I have found is to talk with people that have used someone, then give the guy a try. Unfortunately about half the time I end up with an action that is at least partially ruined, or is damaged beyond financially responsible repairs.
@Ray B I think that Rigby DR we were both chasing back around Thanksgiving is really going to disappoint you so you should put that on this list and I will help you dispose of it. Lol :V Sword Fight: :A Outta:

I love Asolo boots, pricy but exceptionally well made. Fit me like a glove. And last forever even with daily ware. Athletes foot is a fungus and I would blame the socks first.
I think it was just more they didnt breathe well for me (they were also goretex, which my feet have never agreed with), I switched to Salewas for a similar style boot and haven't had any issues. But yea, they definitely seemed very well made, but just based off that experience if I was to spend that kind of money I personally would go with something else. Like I said a lot of guys I was with loved em.

"It's not you Asolo, it's me!"

If I were going solid copper, I'd go with Hammers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.09 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.11 AM.png
    661.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.13 AM.png
    698.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.15 AM.png
    704 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.17 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 155
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.00.20 AM.png
    942.2 KB · Views: 159
Simmons and Burris scopes are on my ni more list. Every one I have ever had fell apart or fogged so horribly that they were useless. Never again also for any 3 1/2 inch chambered 12 guage pumps, but that is because my arms are shorter than an orangatang. After my experience with my Nikon binoculars (on the way now to warrenty work for the third time) I am pretty much done with them.

Rage broadheads for anything larger than deer. Second biggest unfortunate marketing triumph in the industry. They lose too much energy/penetration when opening on larger big game where penetration is key.
Ill add to the broadhead list (and completely agree with you on rage.. I love them for small, TX deer.. but wouldnt shoot one at anything larger...)

G5 Montec broadheads... They dont come from the factory razor sharp.. and they are incredibly hard to get sharp on your own...

I know there are guys that swear by these things.. but it only takes a 2 minute google search of reviews to see numerous people complaining about them coming from the factory dull, and about the difficulty in getting them sharp..

I unfortunately learned the hard way... I got a "perfect" hit on a big blue wildebeest with a brand new, never before shot G5 Montec in 2017.... that we ended up chasing for the next 5 hours, only to lose him, and then find him dead by a waterhole 36 hours later, half eaten by warthogs..

The 550gr arrow, fired from a 65lb bow at a distance of 18 yards, only penetrated about 6" and barely penetrated a single lung...

A sharp broadhead would have resulted in a pass-through that would have penetrated both lungs and the heart based on the angle and trajectory of the wound...

Instead I lost 1/2 of a hunting day chasing a wounded animal, that suffered for a considerable period of time before being eaten by pigs...

Never again will I purchase or use a G5 Montec...

Ill add to the broadhead list (and completely agree with you on rage.. I love them for small, TX deer.. but wouldnt shoot one at anything larger...)

G5 Montec broadheads... They dont come from the factory razor sharp.. and they are incredibly hard to get sharp on your own...

I know there are guys that swear by these things.. but it only takes a 2 minute google search of reviews to see numerous people complaining about them coming from the factory dull, and about the difficulty in getting them sharp..

I unfortunately learned the hard way... I got a "perfect" hit on a big blue wildebeest with a brand new, never before shot G5 Montec in 2017.... that we ended up chasing for the next 5 hours, only to lose him, and then find him dead by a waterhole 36 hours later, half eaten by warthogs..

The 550gr arrow, fired from a 65lb bow at a distance of 18 yards, only penetrated about 6" and barely penetrated a single lung...

A sharp broadhead would have resulted in a pass-through that would have penetrated both lungs and the heart based on the angle and trajectory of the wound...

Instead I lost 1/2 of a hunting day chasing a wounded animal, that suffered for a considerable period of time before being eaten by pigs...

Never again will I purchase or use a G5 Montec...
Go with a super sharp two blade like a Grizzly Stick. Crazy good penetration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!