Once Bitten ... Never Again

Top of the list:.... Any French car
Bottom of the list... Any French car
Middle of the list:.... .243

There are a few! :)

The one product that stands out I never owned. It belonged to my nephew. In 1990 I accompanied my nephew on his DIY spring brown bear hunt on Kodiak as helper and back up. Float plane drop off camp in his tent. Most of 14 days - drizzle and fog near coast or sleet mix on snow shoes is deep, rotten snow above about 1000 ft. They don’t call Kodiak the Emerald Isle on the Japan Current for no reason! Wet, thick, variably steep environment.

He took a spotting scope- can’t remember brand. He also took a pair of new, fairly high dollar WATERPROOF SUPER PARA MILITARY Steiner binocs which were to be the primary tool for glassing. Within two days the Steiners were fogged and had water droplets inside! Ironically my little 6x Bushnell compacts never fogged nor leaked so became our primary glassing tool backed up by the spotting scope. At that point, in the field, there is no practical use for any warranty no matter how good. Since then, I take gear selection very seriously and don’t even think about warranty. So...vicariously, bitten once and no possibility for Steiner since or in my future :)

Last edited:
I don't know that it's a result of the mail order (Midway) or the maker (Talley) but I had a less than satisfactory experience with a Talley detachable mount. In thinking it over I think the problem was the handled screw that replaces the hexhead screw, thus making the mount detachable had a small bend in the threads. It probably could have been corrected by taking a thread cutter and just chasing the threads- about a five minute operation. The symptoms were: It was a two piece mount. for the "permanent" attachment the clip on the base was held tight with the hexhesd, which to make it detachable, the hexhead was replaced with the lever screw. So two bases, each base had the choice of two screws. Total four screws. Three of the four screws threaded into the base as smooth as honey, but the fourth, a levered one had a lot of resistance from the very start. putting grease on it and twisting in and back a few times reduced the energy needed to turn it in but still no where near as easy as the other three. on contacting Midway I was told that since I had tried to screw it in, that I had damaged the base and therefore the warrantee was invalid. So they wouldn't accept the bases/ring back. So now the bases and rings set in a box with the other "spare" stuff. The bases and rings on the rifle are Leupold Quick detachable rings, which work well. Needless to say, I didn't buy the Leupold bases and rings from Midway.

I don't know that it's a result of the mail order (Midway) or the maker (Talley) but I had a less than satisfactory experience with a Talley detachable mount. In thinking it over I think the problem was the handled screw that replaces the hexhead screw, thus making the mount detachable had a small bend in the threads. It probably could have been corrected by taking a thread cutter and just chasing the threads- about a five minute operation. The symptoms were: It was a two piece mount. for the "permanent" attachment the clip on the base was held tight with the hexhesd, which to make it detachable, the hexhead was replaced with the lever screw. So two bases, each base had the choice of two screws. Total four screws. Three of the four screws threaded into the base as smooth as honey, but the fourth, a levered one had a lot of resistance from the very start. putting grease on it and twisting in and back a few times reduced the energy needed to turn it in but still no where near as easy as the other three. on contacting Midway I was told that since I had tried to screw it in, that I had damaged the base and therefore the warrantee was invalid. So they wouldn't accept the bases/ring back. So now the bases and rings set in a box with the other "spare" stuff. The bases and rings on the rifle are Leupold Quick detachable rings, which work well. Needless to say, I didn't buy the Leupold bases and rings from Midway.
Always contact the manufacturer for warranty stuff.

Probably shouldve just used the midway return policy if it was good as new, but yeah the retailer cant do warranty stuff only the manufacturer

land rover, any make or model

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildwillalaska

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.