Older Legs ... A Cape Buff Hunt With Lower Physical Requirements?

Nice! Congrats to you!
I have had conversations with Buzz. Please share your experience/opinion of the 3 areas? Game, terrain, difficultly.

Thanks

Many of us have posted hunt reports on Dande with CMS. Bottom line, it is an outstanding DG area but PG is a little sparse. Hunting is done properly. You will earn your animals on Dande. I say that in only the most positive way, it is one of the best hunts I have done.

Hey everyone, I am starting to plan my 1st Cape Buffalo hunt. I am in my early 60's and have a health issue that has lead to leg issues. Essentially I have neuropathy which has impacted my level of stamina. I can walk and work outside during the day, I just need to take breaks. To some extent, the more I move the better they feel, but will need recovery time.

As much as I really want a true cape buffalo hunt in the open wilds chasing down a Dagga boy over many miles of stalking, I have to be realistic that I am not going to be running up & down hills all day as I no longer have 30-40 year old legs.

I am looking at the South Africa, Namibia, area (open to other thoughts on the southern 1/3 of Africa) for target hunting areas. Would like to find an Outfitter/PH who could handle this type of request. Looking for a good dagga boy buff hunt experience along with options for other plains game. Primary is the buff and flexible on PG.

Any of you other OG's out there that can share training & prep and what to expect would also be appreciated.

Would appreciate any recommendations you guys could make.
@Nomadx2
We can assist you, our main hunting area is 2hr drive from OR Thambo, both our buffalo hunting areas have great bulls. We adapt our hunting techniques to fit our clients abillities but sometimes you have to push yourself a little. I will pm you with some references of clients that hunted buff with us to whom you can talk.
My personal best
Gerrit

@Nomadx2
We can assist you, our main hunting area is 2hr drive from OR Thambo, both our buffalo hunting areas have great bulls. We adapt our hunting techniques to fit our clients abillities but sometimes you have to push yourself a little. I will pm you with some references of clients that hunted buff with us to whom you can talk.
My personal best
Gerrit

I have taken 4 Buff Bulls and 1 cow with Gerrit at Bos en Dal. Feel free to contact me if you wish. If I can do it, you can too!

It hurts less if you go around the brush
True that, unfortunately the buffalo and elephant liked the thick jess.

1662469330315.png

Dumb question, but is it too hot to wear light long pants? What month did you hunt?
I hunted August 3-17. It was a low of 11-13 Celsius when we left the camp early in the morning and climbing to 43 C by early afternoon. Synthetic light long pants do not survive the hot charcoal iron. I did have my cotton canvas long pants with me, but did not want to wear them.

I hunted August 3-17. It was a low of 11-13 Celsius when we left the camp early in the morning and climbing to 43 C by early afternoon. Synthetic light long pants do not survive the hot charcoal iron. I did have my cotton canvas long pants with me, but did not want to wear them.
Thank you
At 43 C I can see why

I took the pictured buffalo in SA when I was 70. Let he outfitter know of any limitations and make sure they can accomodate that limitation.

I am surprised the person was allowed a pressurized mountain climber oxygen tank in their carry on.

That said, I am glad they had it whether it was against the rules or not.
I've seen twice now on flights to/from Africa the green tanks get pulled out from somewhere on the plane to assist someone in distress.

I've seen twice now on flights to/from Africa the green tanks get pulled out from somewhere on the plane to assist someone in distress.
Yes. The plane has them

From the description I took it a passenger had it

I probably misunderstood

The greater Kruger in South Africa is what you seek. Animals are wild but but hunted heavily. The areas are set up for photo safaris so the road systems allow you to have shorter stalks.
Who do you hunt with (outfitter) to hunt the Kruger in SA? Thanks.

I see those knees and raise with the "jess" legs and arms. :ROFLMAO:

Tracking Kudu
View attachment 487392

Tracking buffalo
View attachment 487393
Wow! Guess that's what the ALL cotton 511 pants are for? I'm NEVER wearing shorts when hunting in Africa or anywhere else. Heck, I don't even wear shorts when hunting doves in 90+ degree heat! All that blood will probably attract tsetse flies and/or crocs, leeches, piranhas, if/when you have to wade across a river? If you want to stay cool with pants on, pour a bottle of water down your crotch! LOL

Hey everyone, I am starting to plan my 1st Cape Buffalo hunt. I am in my early 60's and have a health issue that has lead to leg issues. Essentially I have neuropathy which has impacted my level of stamina. I can walk and work outside during the day, I just need to take breaks. To some extent, the more I move the better they feel, but will need recovery time.

As much as I really want a true cape buffalo hunt in the open wilds chasing down a Dagga boy over many miles of stalking, I have to be realistic that I am not going to be running up & down hills all day as I no longer have 30-40 year old legs.

I am looking at the South Africa, Namibia, area (open to other thoughts on the southern 1/3 of Africa) for target hunting areas. Would like to find an Outfitter/PH who could handle this type of request. Looking for a good dagga boy buff hunt experience along with options for other plains game. Primary is the buff and flexible on PG.

Any of you other OG's out there that can share training & prep and what to expect would also be appreciated.

Would appreciate any recommendations you guys could make.
Just got back from sa.I’m 69 but still very fit. In your case I would talk to miss Nancy at Avila. Those people are perfect in every way.

Just got back from sa.I’m 69 but still very fit. In your case I would talk to miss Nancy at Avila. Those people are perfect in every way.
I ment Avula.da&& big fingers.

Who do you hunt with (outfitter) to hunt the Kruger in SA? Thanks.
I hunted with Johan Schoonbee. I’ll shoot you a message with his cell number. He married a girl from Knoxville and spends about half the year in the states. I’m sure he would be happy to speak with you.

Hello Nomadx2
We can help you on a nice buffalo hunt.
Very large area - definitely not shooting fish in a barrel.
We have lots of buffalo with plenty of plains game mixed in.
We are located in the eastern part of the Kalahari desert where the sand is not so loose as in the west.
We have no sand dunes for example and only the top 4 inches of sand is loose below it is a firm layer so it is not that difficult to walk.
No mountains, no sand dunes just level terrain interspersed with acacia trees and savannah type scrubs and grasses.
Hunting is mostly done by spot and stalk as well as by tracking if we see fresh tracks.
We can take as many breaks as you want while stalking the buffalo.
I wish you well in your search for a buffalo.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk
I will just add:

BA29D5C6-2C1C-4811-8CBD-BD4CB563C8DC.jpeg

A2EF0B1A-BC07-4277-A02E-A85E1D90F0F6.jpeg

D018DE5C-E5E4-413A-84E9-72ECD9629D31.jpeg
7C5E8AB7-9413-4A22-896A-793B298F40E4.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veronica

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!