Older Legs ... A Cape Buff Hunt With Lower Physical Requirements?

Nomadx2

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club Intl, NRA
Hunted
WI & IL USA, Alberta Canada
Hey everyone, I am starting to plan my 1st Cape Buffalo hunt. I am in my early 60's and have a health issue that has lead to leg issues. Essentially I have neuropathy which has impacted my level of stamina. I can walk and work outside during the day, I just need to take breaks. To some extent, the more I move the better they feel, but will need recovery time.

As much as I really want a true cape buffalo hunt in the open wilds chasing down a Dagga boy over many miles of stalking, I have to be realistic that I am not going to be running up & down hills all day as I no longer have 30-40 year old legs.

I am looking at the South Africa, Namibia, area (open to other thoughts on the southern 1/3 of Africa) for target hunting areas. Would like to find an Outfitter/PH who could handle this type of request. Looking for a good dagga boy buff hunt experience along with options for other plains game. Primary is the buff and flexible on PG.

Any of you other OG's out there that can share training & prep and what to expect would also be appreciated.

Would appreciate any recommendations you guys could make.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I am starting to plan my 1st Cape Buffalo hunt. I am in my early 60's and have a health issue that has lead to leg issues. Essentially I have neuropathy which has impacted my level of stamina. I can walk and work outside during the day, I just need to take breaks. To some extent, the more I move the better they feel, but will need recovery time.

As much as I really want a true cape buffalo hunts in the open wilds chasing down a Dagga boy over many miles of stalking, I have to be realistic that I am not going to be running up & down hills all day as I no longer have 30-40 year old legs.

I am looking at the South Africa, Namibia, area (open to other thoughts on the southern 1/3 of Africa) for target hunting areas. Would like to find an Outfitter/PH who could handle this type of request. Looking for a good dagga boy buff hunt experience along with options for other plains game. Primary is the buff and flexible on PG.

Any of you other OG's out there that can share training & prep and what to expect would also be appreciated.

Would appreciate any recommendations you guys could make.
Reach out to Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris and discuss.

I just took a Cape Buffalo with him. I am 62, had spinal fusion a few years back and have neuropahty to where I have almost no feeling in my feet.

We got it done, as my profile pic proves.

I think RSA spot/stalk would be your best bet, vs. long tracking hunts.

I have alot of back problems and have had incredible hunts the last two years with Johnny Duplooys in Zambia, have been to Africa about 10 times, and the Luangwa Valley is hard to beat

I just took a Cape Buffalo with him. I am 62, had spinal fusion a few years back and have neuropahty to where I have almost no feeling in my feet.

That is a very nice buff you got.

That is a very nice buff you got.
Thank you. Is the perfect trophy for me. Old and solid boss almost fused together. I am not much for record book scoring. I just wanted an old bruiser and we got one

We had to work hard to get him. Had a foiled stalk in the morning that included hands and knees crawling over the rocky hillside.

Couldn’t get a shot so we had to regroup and got him in the evening

I have alot of back problems and have had incredible hunts the last two years with Johnny Duplooys in Zambia, have been to Africa about 10 times, and the Luangwa Valley is hard to beat
Sounds fun!

Just let your potential outfitters know of your concerns and listen to their thoughts. i have taken countless Cape buffalo since turning 60. Five in Tanzania since i turned 80.

Just let your potential outfitters know of your concerns and listen to their thoughts. i have taken countless Cape buffalo since turning 60. Five in Tanzania since i turned 80.
You give me hope!

Sounds like similar challenges, I will check them out.

The Save in Zimbabwe is also an option, the hunting parts are dead flat, so spot and stalk is easier. It is also well transected by driveable tracks, so walking distances would be less.

Sounds interesting and a possible fit. Any outfitter recommendations?

Thank you. Is the perfect trophy for me. Old and solid boss almost fused together. I am not much for record book scoring. I just wanted an old bruiser and we got one

We had to work hard to get him. Had a foiled stalk in the morning that included hands and knees crawling over the rocky hillside.

Couldn’t get a shot so we had to regroup and got him in the evening

Btw ... great Buff! Same type I am looking for...

Who are you ... the bionic man?

Great inspiration from what you are still doing!

Sounds like similar challenges, I will check them out.
I have hunted with @KMG Hunting Safaris twice and going back for a 3rd time in 2024. Marius is as good as it gets in RSA.

Not saying that there are not other great outfitters in RSA....but it would be hard to find better.

Last edited:
Btw ... great Buff! Same type I am looking for...
Teeth were worn to the gums
Was a Bad MFer

23F85F66-887B-42E9-8B93-EF8CBA00F2CF.jpeg

The greater Kruger in South Africa is what you seek. Animals are wild but but hunted heavily. The areas are set up for photo safaris so the road systems allow you to have shorter stalks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you