Older Legs ... A Cape Buff Hunt With Lower Physical Requirements?

I am not looking for a "shooting fish in a barrel" hunt. I am looking for the best real hunt experience I can push myself to do; however, just trying to be realistic. Also don't want to present false expectations to the PH as we need to be in alignment on goals. This is my 1sr buff hunt and have researching and studying a lot; however, I will learn a much more on my first actual hunt.
If you are on a 11,000 acre ranch in RSA it is far from “shooting fish in a barrel”

Spotting the animals is generally easier because of the terrain difference between RSA and say Zimbabwe

Conversely, because of the terrain differences, it can be more challenging to get close to the Buffalo in RSA than in the thick cover of Zimbabwe or Mozambique. Not to mention that there are differences depending where in RSA you are hunting.

Tanks loves to turn every thread into a “RSA hunts suck” fest. I refuse to let him drag this productive discussion into the gutter by going down the path he is trying to lead this thread.

My first Buffalo hunt was RSA. My next will most likely be Zimbabwe. Then hopefully Tanzania. I want to experience different hunts, but nothing will diminish what we had to get done to get my Buffalo on the ground. On my second stalk of the Buffalo, (on the first one, the group of Buffalo bedded in a spot where we simply couldn’t get to a shooting position so we had to find/stalk him agin that afternoon), I had to shoot him at 85-90 yards because we simply could not get closer.

Your knees don’t look like this after crawling over rocky terrain to get into shot position if your hunt is “shooting fish in a barrel”

That is the end of my comments to Tanks opinion.

57D94005-2A6C-4EB0-8506-F5DB661CD921.jpeg

Last edited:
If you are on a 11,000 acre ranch in RSA it is far from “shooting fish in a barrel”

Spotting the animals is generally easier because of the terrain difference between RSA and say Zimbabwe

Conversely, because of the terrain differences, it can be more challenging to get close to the Buffalo in RSA than in the thick cover of Zimbabwe or Mozambique. Not to mention that there are differences depending where in RSA you are hunting.

Tanks loves to turn every thread into a “RSA hunts suck” fest. I refuse to let him drag this productive discussion into the gutter by going down the path he is trying to lead this thread.

My first Buffalo hunt was RSA. My next will most likely be Zimbabwe. Then hopefully Tanzania. I want to experience different hunts, but nothing will diminish what we had to get done to get my Buffalo on the ground. On my second stalk of the Buffalo, (on the first one, the group of Buffalo bedded in a spot where we simply couldn’t get to a shooting position so we had to find/stalk him agin that afternoon), I had to shoot him at 85-90 yards because we simply could not get closer.

Your knees don’t look like this after crawling over rocky terrain to get into shot position if your hunt is “shooting fish in a barrel”

That is the end of my comments to Tanks opinion.

Yep, I caught the jab, I just kinda chuckled. Sounds like your hunt was a good experience and met your expectations, now you are off to a new adventure.

Yep, I caught the jab, I just kinda chuckled. Sounds like your hunt was a good experience and met your expectations, now you are off to a new adventure.
And had 1 shot kill but had the adrenaline fueled track job in the failing light

Did you read my Hunt report?

A hunt in RSA might be the easiest and the path of least resistance.

But Legadema Safaris at their Mozambique concession was able to pull it off with completely free range buffalo with a client last year, with a client with a similar situation.

And had 1 shot kill but had the adrenaline fueled track job in the failing light

Did you read my Hunt report?

Great hunt and write up! Gave me a god feel for the type of hunting. need to keep pushing to get in better condition. Great Buff!

I am not looking for a "shooting fish in a barrel" hunt. I am looking for the best real hunt experience I can push myself to do; however, just trying to be realistic. Also don't want to present false expectations to the PH as we need to be in alignment on goals. This is my 1st buff hunt and have been researching and studying a lot; however, I will learn much more on my first actual hunt. Just trying to prepare as much as I can.
Good on you! If you get a reputable Outfitter and a sensible expierienced PH they should be able to give you the hunt you expect and deserve that is a great experience, exciting, challenging and yet doable with your limitations.

Best of luck and congratulations on "going for it!".

hi there

we can definatley help you out
i have sent you a PM , any other questions or queries feel free to ask

Good on you! If you get a reputable Outfitter and a sensible expierienced PH they should be able to give you the hunt you expect and deserve that is a great experience, exciting, challenging and yet doable with your limitations.

Best of luck and congratulations on "going for it!".

I totally agree Bob. We all are likely to face the day when we can’t get around as well as we once did. I applaud the will to push on. Well done sir.

PHs in Zim said they had to keep their shins "hardened" by constant walking in the high grass, etc.
Concerning the OP questions may I give a bit of advice--first, don't concede to neuropathy--push the issue to get in shape both for any upcoming hunt and for your healthy future. Incrementally walk farther, no matter what. Second, consider that there are other hazards in just getting to Africa. On my first flight to Joburg, an elderly woman (you do not qualify as elderly in my book) almost died ON THE FLIGHT! If someone had not had an oxygen bottle, the type of which mountain climbers carry with them, I feel pretty sure she would not have made it. And when the crisis came the plane was 800+ miles equidistant from any land and hence landing site. I heard the captain tell her "Ma'am, you have to make it." You have to also be healthy enough to reach Africa, after all. Not trying to be unfeeling, just a little tough love maybe for your own good. Hope you overcome all obstacles and have a GREAT hunt.
It's a pity that we so often can only afford to go when we are older, but then, the safari industry is well accustomed to accommodating that. Good luck and God bless.

DSC once advertised a book entitled "Doing the tough hunts in your 70s and 80s" or something like that. Pretty sure it has age specific wisdom and advice.

PHs in Zim said they had to keep their shins "hardened" by constant walking in the high grass, etc.
Concerning the OP questions may I give a bit of advice--first, don't concede to neuropathy--push the issue to get in shape both for any upcoming hunt and for your healthy future. Incrementally walk farther, no matter what. Second, consider that there are other hazards in just getting to Africa. On my first flight to Joburg, an elderly woman (you do not qualify as elderly in my book) almost died ON THE FLIGHT! If someone had not had an oxygen bottle, the type of which mountain climbers carry with them, I feel pretty sure she would not have made it. And when the crisis came the plane was 800+ miles equidistant from any land and hence landing site. I heard the captain tell her "Ma'am, you have to make it." You have to also be healthy enough to reach Africa, after all. Not trying to be unfeeling, just a little tough love maybe for your own good. Hope you overcome all obstacles and have a GREAT hunt.
It's a pity that we so often can only afford to go when we are older, but then, the safari industry is well accustomed to accommodating that. Good luck and God bless.
I am surprised the person was allowed a pressurized mountain climber oxygen tank in their carry on.

That said, I am glad they had it whether it was against the rules or not.

On a final note, last year the guy after me had a 7 day tuskless hunt. Had really bad knees and was in his late 70s. Got his elephant on day 4. This was Dande North which is not for the faint of the heart.

On a final note, last year the guy after me had a 7 day tuskless hunt. Had really bad knees and was in his late 70s. Got his elephant on day 4. This was Dande North which is not for the faint of the heart.
Is that CMS concession? I know CMS has Dande East

Just let your potential outfitters know of your concerns and listen to their thoughts. i have taken countless Cape buffalo since turning 60. Five in Tanzania since i turned 80.

You're an inspiration!

Yes it is. I got my leopard and buffalo at Dande North and tuskless at Dande East last year. I must say though, Nyakasanga is worth the premium compared to those areas.
Nice! Congrats to you!
I have had conversations with Buzz. Please share your experience/opinion of the 3 areas? Game, terrain, difficultly.

Thanks

Nyakasanga, depending on the time of the year, has more game than Dande and terrain is flat compared to Dande North. I shot elephant, buffalo and 6 species of plains game in 14 days including taking a day off to visit Mana Pools and just looking for baboons the last day.

However, the jess is brutal, and you will walk a lot. We were doing 15K or so of walking before lunch break. The area is so large that we got up at 4:30AM for a number of days in order to drive an hour or so to start tracking based on previous day's sightings.

The advantage of Nyakasanga is that as water pans dry up at Mana Pools the game moves there due to availability of water, so an August hunt was great. It seems we got all the buffalo, most of the elephants and lions following the buffalo come over. Heck, when tracking some buffalo we noticed lion tracks on top of the buffalo tracks. Needless to say the trackers were extra alert. ;)

The only negative thing which made things challenging was the abundance of impala, thousands. They were basically a security alarm for all other game.

Nyakasanga, depending on the time of the year, has more game than Dande and terrain is flat compared to Dande North. I shot elephant, buffalo and 6 species of plains game in 14 days including taking a day off to visit Mana Pools and just looking for baboons the last day.

However, the jess is brutal, and you will walk a lot. We were doing 15K or so of walking before lunch break. The area is so large that we got up at 4:30AM for a number of days in order to drive an hour or so to start tracking based on previous day's sightings.

The advantage of Nyakasanga is that as water pans dry up at Mana Pools the game moves there due to availability of water, so an August hunt was great. It seems we got all the buffalo, most of the elephants and lions following the buffalo come over. Heck, when tracking some buffalo we noticed lion tracks on top of the buffalo tracks. Needless to say the trackers were extra alert. ;)

The only negative thing which made things challenging was the abundance of impala, thousands. They were basically a security alarm for all other game.
Thank you for sharing that. It is great info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.