Old African Maps?

Here’s one I just got off of Etsy. It’s a reprint of an old relief map. I had it framed and it’s in my office.

6F3042A3-0C10-435F-A62F-211305F72580.jpeg
 
Figured some of you on here are into cartography or like old maps. Does anyone on here have any cool old maps of Africa or other places you'd like to share?
Looking forward to this thread. I’d like to have a few at some point. I don’t know the reputation of this dealer but there’s a lot of neat stuff on their site:
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 8.42.20 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 8.42.20 AM Large.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 200
Hi,
I have a copy of the last hunting map of Kenya from 1974 or so. Got it as a gift from the late Ken Stewart, big game hunter, (best elephant a 132 pounder), game catcher, bullet and case maker etc.

He was born in Kenya, made his apprentice with John A. Hunter. Ken learned me all important in ballistic and African big game hunting. Miss him so much.
 
Hi,
I have a copy of the last hunting map of Kenya from 1974 or so. Got it as a gift from the late Ken Stewart, big game hunter, (best elephant a 132 pounder), game catcher, bullet and case maker etc.

He was born in Kenya, made his apprentice with John A. Hunter. Ken learned me all important in ballistic and African big game hunting. Miss him so much.
Would love to see a picture of it! That’s an awesome map to have.
 
Hi,
I have a copy of the last hunting map of Kenya from 1974 or so. Got it as a gift from the late Ken Stewart, big game hunter, (best elephant a 132 pounder), game catcher, bullet and case maker etc.

He was born in Kenya, made his apprentice with John A. Hunter. Ken learned me all important in ballistic and African big game hunting. Miss him so much.

these are cool maps. I have one from 1965(?) and a later one after they added the A/B blocks. It’s very helpful when you read old stories and they mention the blocks.
 
I acquired these maps years ago and had them mounted. One is a 1951 Winn Navigation Chart and the other is a 1902 White Mountain Topo Map including Winn. Had to reduce the size to get them to load so they will not be clear if you zoom in on them.
Winn 2MP.jpg

WM 2MP.jpg
 
Guess a year this map was made?. I don`t know but my guess is in the 1880s.

When was the last time someone in Southafrica referred to "Orange River colony"?..

Transvaal and OF state are not yet to be found either. The now North West Province is called "British Bechuanaland"


4QVtRK0.jpg
BpVFZWH.jpg
hLJHn1x.jpg
ktbRzir.jpg
LV12pI4.jpg
OUWqMEy.jpg
prr8zOe.jpg
RKI3rO3.jpg
saUJdwg.jpg
sRYDRSV.jpg
Ts4BLCO.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.08 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 224
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.10 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.13 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.14 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.16 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.39.18 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
My 2 cents. About 11-12 years ago I used to go through Paris 2-4 times a year. On one occasion I specifically ran down a map (cartography) shop in the city. All they sold were antique maps. All originals, no reprints. At this point I don't remember what area I was looking for...but the least expensive cost of any map in the shop was over $400. This convinced me I didn't need an antique map after all. So good luck to all of you looking for old maps. They are interesting.
 
In 2016 spent a few days in and around Windhoek and there is an antique/curio shop in the city who had a fair amount of maps for sale at reasonable prices, I regret not buying something.

But there is a street market right there where I bought a couple of full set stamp collections with native Namibian animals and birds, that spanned some years. That guy also had some maps; one was of Etosha original boundaries and the same one was in the train station in Windhoek.

For those who know town both right by that street clock tower in the main area of the city.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,448
Messages
1,576,533
Members
170,596
Latest member
SilviaLake
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top