Old African Maps?

Old, original maps of Africa, like the same maps of elsewhere, tend to be quite expensive, as some have already pointed out. But there is often another way to get your hands on original maps which is often cheaper.

Many of the books published by explorers of the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries contained folding maps of their travels, some bound in but folding out, but many loose and inserted into a slot in the back cover. Examples include almost all the books by Henry Stanley - Through the Dark Continent, In Darkest Africa, etc., but also many, many others. The first editions of these books tend to be expensive, but second and subsequent editions are usually much cheaper and often include the same maps. Oddly, I’ve seen maps originally included with some of these books for sale for more than the books with the maps. I assume the maps appeal to a different audience, and by separating them from the original book someone can get more money than selling them together. The book in the @rigbymauser post, above, is an example.

Old, original maps of Africa, like the same maps of elsewhere, tend to be quite expensive, as some have already pointed out. But there is often another way to get your hands on original maps which is often cheaper.

Many of the books published by explorers of the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries contained folding maps of their travels, some bound in but folding out, but many loose and inserted into a slot in the back cover. Examples include almost all the books by Henry Stanley - Through the Dark Continent, In Darkest Africa, etc., but also many, many others. The first editions of these books tend to be expensive, but second and subsequent editions are usually much cheaper and often include the same maps. Oddly, I’ve seen maps originally included with some of these books for sale for more than the books with the maps. I assume the maps appeal to a different audience, and by separating them from the original book someone can get more money than selling them together. The book in the @rigbymauser post, above, is an example.
The map I posted was given to me by my father-inlaw from SA.
The book is a map only. Sort of a vintage version of a SA "Rand McNally". Such map as this one could have been used by all the famous persons we read about in the African hunting litterature.
I wouldn't know if the british army would used such map for their campaigns?. I have heard something about "Military maps" but I don't know enough whether its true or not. Maybe somebody here knows more of this?.

Last edited:
Looking closely in center the "Zout Pan"(now Sout Pan) there is a place called "Lang Laagte" in the left corner. That salt pan just under is that very salt pan seen in the photo. I have hunted springbok there many times and are going again soon...very soon!..
CuDZgra.jpg
AvRtGZp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I was in NY I was in The Old Print shop.
they did some nice reproduction.

Thats exactly how I aquire my maps, I have hundreds of old Africa maps. Jump on ebay and buy a trashed Stanley or Livonstone book from the 1800's with maps intact, carefully remove them and you have an original 1800's africa map, I also do this with prints.

I’ve got two maps that I acquired from Barry Lawrence Rudermend. One circa 19th century and one circa 18th century. BLR always has some really cool maps, most are very economical.

I’m getting into them and not sure where to start yet lol. Have you bought from them? They have some cool stuff for sale.
Yes, I have bought dozens of maps from him over the years. I have a collection that mirrors every place our family has lived since the late 1400’s. Some people collect maps from certain regions, others follow certain mapmakers work and others simply buy what they like. No rules, just find some you like and start collecting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!