Ode To A Dog

Sorry for your loss Pheroze. You know how close I am to my two, so can't even begin to think about what you guys are going through.
Praying for strength for you and your family.

Pheroze, this post certainly struck a cord.....

This past November, we had to put down our 13 year old Beagle due to sinus/nasal cancer. We knew the likely diagnosis based on what the vet was telling us, and that she was rapidly declining, but it still seemed to happen so quickly. In the end, it was the right thing to do as she was suffering.

My wife and I got her right after we got married, and before we had any children. We loved that dog like a child, and often referred to her as our first "baby". In many ways, she was more spoiled than our children (which are admittedly spoiled). We had vowed to not let her sleep in the bed with us when we got her, but that lasted all of 2 weeks. 13 years later, she was still sleeping right in between us. She was a loyal dog, and always there to greet me when I came home. She had the patience of Job, and tolerated a great deal of "pestering" from the children throughout the years without much complaint. She was always a happy girl....I still miss her greatly.

I empathize with you, and can only say I'm sorry.....

We had several beagles growing up. They were outside dogs who were lucky to sleep in a cardboard box in the garage one or two nights during winter. If we went on vacation, dad dropped them off at the pound. If they were seriously sick, they got shot instead of going to the vet.

Then I didn't have a dog for over 20 years until I met my wife. She had a 12 year old black and white border collie. The first time I had my wife over for dinner she let the dog lick the plate; I almost had to throw that plate away. :confused: I grew to love that dog...as long as she didn't obsessively lick me or try to get on the bed...
This past August we had to put Taylor down but I'm very thankful for the 3 years I had her.

Then in November 2016 we adopted this hot mess of an australian shepard, Maggie. She's been a chore but she's coming along nicely. She sleeps in bed with us and I am happy to have lost that argument. :whistle:
39772010_500x333.jpg

To everyone that has ever lost a pet. A great poem.... Free now to run,jump and play. Or snooze in the shade on a sunny day to sit for hours watching birds in the trees. Or to lie on the porch and enjoy the breeze. Free from sickness that made me weak. Restored to the dog that I was at my peak. You made the right choice for me my friend. Be at ease with yourself and let your heart mend. no more vets,shots or pill. And while you can't see me, I am here with you still. For though you may think that we really did part I m there in your memories, I'm here in your heart. My deepest condolences. My dogs are my children, losing them is so heartbreaking.

Reading this made me tear up. I am sorry for your loss. Pets are members of the family and losing one is heartbreaking. Just remember all of the best times and every time you think of them, they are there with you in your head.

My utmost sympathy, and empathy. Our last was Misty, an amazing little blue Merle Border Collie who won hearts everywhere she went. That was 16 months ago, and it has taken me that long to introduce NG (pronounced Angie) into the house; an 8 week old blue heeler/heinz cross; allegedly the mother broke through a six-foot paling fence to get to dad; Angie is just as cheeky At nearly 70, my life has started again. God blesses us in our pets, especially our dogs.

So sorry for your loss. don't wait to long, get another one to meet you at the door.
If you could get a woman to love you half as much as your dog . Forrest

So sorry for your loss. don't wait to long, get another one to meet you at the door.
If you could get a woman to love you half as much as your dog . Forrest

A single woman who works for me got a puppy. I was hearing about the inevitable issues that leaving a young dog at home will create. I told her to bring him in (for her benefit, of course:whistle:). He is now a part of the scene in the office. The clients all have loved him. He is better behaved. And, I swear he makes the entire office calmer!

Back to the new pup, NG (Angie); I live across the road from a school, and a block away from a large shopping mall, AND a Centerlink (employment/benefits) office. she has a fan base of dozens, all in less than a week. what puppies can achieve far outweighs what we can do...

Pheroze, this post certainly struck a cord.....

This past November, we had to put down our 13 year old Beagle due to sinus/nasal cancer. We knew the likely diagnosis based on what the vet was telling us, and that she was rapidly declining, but it still seemed to happen so quickly. In the end, it was the right thing to do as she was suffering.

My wife and I got her right after we got married, and before we had any children. We loved that dog like a child, and often referred to her as our first "baby". In many ways, she was more spoiled than our children (which are admittedly spoiled). We had vowed to not let her sleep in the bed with us when we got her, but that lasted all of 2 weeks. 13 years later, she was still sleeping right in between us. She was a loyal dog, and always there to greet me when I came home. She had the patience of Job, and tolerated a great deal of "pestering" from the children throughout the years without much complaint. She was always a happy girl....I still miss her greatly.

I empathize with you, and can only say I'm sorry.....
My condolences to you also. Brought a tear to my eyes.

I really appreciate all the kind words. I knew that this group, as true lovers of animals, would understand.

Sorry, can't keep away from this thread; as I type this, Angie is lying between my feet; just this afternoon some lovely young business ladies walked up the street after finishing work.
I heard one of them say: "There she is, I told you she's so cute"; folks always come looking at a new pup, or say "G'day" and admire your buddy.
I/we've been living in the same house for the last 59 years; lost count of how many dogs (and cats) are buried in the back yard; now it's unlawful to bury your pet like that in this advanced community. I'm lucky though, the city solicitor is a good mate, (and keen shooter, as well as secretary of the local pistol club!) His comment on the burial issue: "Well I'm not going to F*&( prosecute you". Bewdy!
Many thanks, and blessings to all dog owners everywhere.

Pheroze, just saw this post. My sympathies, I lost my hunting buddy two years ago ... still think about her just about every day.

IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg

I know how you feel Pheroze !
I have had many dogs over the years and after the last one past away the wife and i said no more .
But guess what ?
After a few years the wife said its time for a new mate !
Here she is on her first hunt with me .
Is she any good at hunting ?
No not really unless they have feathers .
But she is great company for me and the wife .
She is definitely our last dog !!!
( yeah right )

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg