Nosler Partition vs Barnes TTSX

Nosler Partition vs Barnes TTSX

• Total voters
I'll throw my two cents in. Been reloading for over 40 years. First game I took with NP bullets was a really big Blue Bull Nigai back in the 70's. Shot him looking at me at 200 yds with a 7 mag and ran 160 grain partition so far down the middle of his backbone we got tired of digging. I still have that same box of NP with a few bullets left.

I started using Barnes when they were not cool yet. I have taken more game with Barnes than just about any bullet I've used with the exception of maybe Grand Slams which is another good bullet for the money. Not sure you can live on the difference between NP and Barnes, dead is dead no matter what spin you put on it.

The only draw back to Barnes is copper foul, they will foul a barrel. I've known alot of guys that will not shoot Barnes for that reason.

If you do not clean barrels as frequent or shoot a lot. Might want to use NP. If you know how to get copper out of a barrel then Barnes are fine. Not everbody knows how to get copper out of a rifle barrel.

For whatever reason, I now mainly use barnes, with the excpetion of my 270 which I use Swift, thats because I bought a bunch on sale years back.

Another factor in this day and time, use what you can get. if you are loading for a Africa hunt in June of this year and low on one brand/type you like. You may not get what you want and have to use what you can get.

One situation where I only use NP is antelope with my 243. The quick energy dump into a fragile animal works well. I’ve taken them out to 435 yards with good results.

The Barnes copper fouling issue can be frustrating. I have found in my 375 that if i foul the bore first with a cheap dirty powder load such as PPU, then shoot for accuracy with the Barnes, accuracy improves substantially. I am assuming it‘s the powder residue that causes this. But I don't even know how to prove it nor test for it. It does it consistently though.

My problem with Barnes is the level of copper fouling and degrading accuracy. That and the bullet length crowding powder space. Efficacy is fine but I don't enjoy spending all the extra time cleaning copper out of my barrel all the time. At the speeds I typically load to, the tried and true cup and core bullets work well for me. Just one mans opinion.
@MS 9x56
I use a mixture of 100 grain TTSX, 117grain SST and 115 grain nosler combined technology silver tip in my 25 and have not noticed any degradation of accuracy in 150 mix rounds and I still haven't cleaned it.
When I was developing loads for the TTSX I fired 40 odd rounds without issue. The bore cleaned up within I think 5 patches.
That's just MY experience. The barrel is a Llijla match grade stainless barrel.
Bob

I'm a hand-loader and this post is very timely! The other day I decided to get my Parker Hale 7mm Rem Mag back in action and started looking around for bullets. After an exhaustive search, I found some! 150 gr TTSX.

At first I was disappointed I couldn't find anything heavier, then I realized Barnes doesn't make a heavier TTSX bullet in 7mm. So, to take advantage of the bullet, I have to get it going fast, I'm thinking around 2900 fps. Unfortunately, the barrel is only 21 inches long, so I'm going to be on the high end of the load recipe, but I'm going to work up to it.

I took my .270 Win to Africa last year and was shooting 140 gr TSX. The bullets performed perfectly, but take a look at this one. This was a quartering shot, so the bullet nearly passed through the entire body. Anyway, this was only about a 100 yard shot. I would expect more expansion (muzzle velocity was 2700 fps).

Barnes bullets love speed, and, from what I can tell, you need to be some distance from the lands. So I'm in the process of bumping up the speed of my .270 for the TSX, and finding a speed for the 7mm TTSX (I'm looking for around 2900 fps). Here is the problem, I run into high pressure issues (like in the .270, the brass would flatten, ruining the primer hole size) with Barnes bullets when ever I get close to the recommended max. I don't have this problem with the A-Frames or Sirocco bullets. Fantastic bullets, you just have to watch the pressure...

View attachment 383164
@Rum Runner
Try a slower burning powder.
Bob

During my early days of African hunting i used Nosler Partition. I switched to TSX when they appeared on the market. I began successfully using them in my 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby taking probably 150 or so African animals. If your rifle shoots them accurately they should work fine. Also many PHs are enthusiastic about them. should mention have had good success with Swift A frame. Just my opinion, Kindest Regards

Barnes loaded to the front groove under max Barnes book crimped with Lee factory crimp. They’ve done all the work, just make and take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross