Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Way back in 1975, I was a brand-new Second Lieutenant assigned to an artillery battalion at Wertheim am Main. It was a Germanic fairyland small town at the confluence of the Main and Tauber rivers in the foothills of the Spessart Mountains. In South Louisiana, where I grew up, I had hunted deer with buckshot over hounds but never with a rifle. Within a few months, I was diligently studying to obtain my German Jagdschein (hunting license). That meant that I also needed a rifle. For whatever reason, the Ruger No. 1 fascinated me, and I was able to get a No. 1 B in .270 through the local Rod & Gun. We soon became close companions, and over the next several years it accounted for three or four red stag and half a dozen hinds; a huge boar and probably a dozen for the grill; and perhaps three or four dozen roe deer.

Like all No. 1 rifles, it had a rather severe appearance out of the box. In the fall of 1979, I had orders to return to the States. I had become good friends with a master gun maker in Kempton, and several others in our hunting community. One day my gunmaker friend asked if he could borrow the rifle for a couple of weeks. Roe deer season was over, and any hunts that I had planned were drive hunts for which I had a drilling, so I had nothing to hunt with a rifle. I gave it to him however puzzled. A month later, and perhaps two weeks before departure, that group of German friends invited me out to dinner. I was surprised with a going away party which included the gifting of my own rifle.

A young protégé of my gunmaker friend was finishing school in Ferlach and had needed a project to submit for his engraving mastership. He put my best red stag and roe deer on either side of the action. He also created a pistol grip cap with my initials. Needless to say, until I married Mrs. Red Leg, it was the finest gift I had ever received.

I used the rifle on whitetail from time to time over the next decade, but it slowly made its way to the back of the gun safe and then the gunroom.

A year or so ago, I was handling it, and reflecting on the unattractive mix of styles it represented. On the one hand, it had lovely engraving showcased by its French gray receiver. At the same time, it had the plain lines of a Ruger No. 1 B with its large unbalanced forend.

I had heard of the work of R. J. Renner, and finally one day only six weeks ago, I gave him a call. I told him the story of the rifle, and we agreed that the proper thing to do was to finish the transition to a Germanic stalking rifle. He slimmed, shortened and recheckerd the forend while adding a German schnabel. He then matched the coloring of the buttstock perfectly. He added open sights and a barrel band swivel. He accomplished all of it all in less than four weeks.

I could not be happier with the final product. Truly a rebirth.

Ruger3.jpg

Very nice rifle & nostalgic trip down memory lane. What ammunition were you running through it back in the 1970s ? Back in those days, I remember 4 factory loads that were widely available on American gun shop shelves:
- The 150Gr Winchester Silver Tip
- The 130Gr Winchester Power Point
- The 150Gr Remington Core Lokt
- The 130Gr Remington Core Lokt

I was fond of the 150Gr Remington load for American whitetail deer and also aoudad.

That is a stunning rifle and a great story! Our rifles likely shared a rack at Roger’s shop. He is just finishing up his stalking rifle treatment on my No 1 in .275 Rigby. I will add a photo when I have it in hand.

Truly a special beauty.

Lon

That is a stunning rifle and a great story! Our rifles likely shared a rack at Roger’s shop. He is just finishing up his stalking rifle treatment on my No 1 in .275 Rigby. I will add a photo when I have it in hand.

Please do, I'd like to see how your rifle looks. Maybe a before and after pictures. (y)

Beautiful rifle Joe! From what I have read on RJ Renner's website, he lowers the comb of the stock to improve alignment with iron sights. But this might lessen cheek weld when shooting with a scope. Did you have much done to the stock or leave it, since you have it scoped.

Sir, that is a stunningly classic rifle! More pics would be nice. ;)

That is a very well done and like the tasteful engraving! While stationed in Germany I wandered into more than a few small firearms shops and was impressed with the quality craftsmanship. Was fortunate enough to shoot at several German ranges and was blessed to get the opportunity to shoot many different rifles. You rifle and story of the kinship and kindness of German friends bring back many good memories.

Beautiful rifle and a great story to go with it! I too am curious if you had anything done to the buttstock by Mr. Renner.

Beautiful rifle Joe! From what I have read on RJ Renner's website, he lowers the comb of the stock to improve alignment with iron sights. But this might lessen cheek weld when shooting with a scope. Did you have much done to the stock or leave it, since you have it scoped.
No. I did not want the buttstock adjusted in any way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winworldrealty

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.