Nilgai hunt

Not being a big fan of either bugs or snakes may push me in a different direction. Thanks for the help, either way.....................FWB

Kingsville is forecast to have a high of 100F on May 8. It will be much hotter later in summer. Your best times would be Nov. thru Feb., IMO.

Lomas Chicas Outfitters owned by Sam Isle. They guide free range on the Kennedy ranch south of Sarita TX. They are a first class operation and offer spot and stalk hunts. Their bull hunts are 3 days. They also offer cow hunts. I wrote up a hunt report from last year. I believe others here have hunted with them.

I've thought about doing a Nilgai hunt a few times but never got to the serious research stage. This thread brought that interest firmly to the surface....

My deposit went out to Sam this morning. January 2025 - hopefully the rut will be on and the days chilly!

I plan to fly in and if successful use one of the two local processors, and have the meat shipped.

What is recommended - as far as mostly hamburger vs steaks if you take a mature (older) bull? Sam seemed a little surprised when I indicated that was my goal. I guess they do a lot of meat hunts (cows / younger bulls preferred).

The AIV Sako 338 Win Mag is out from the back of the safe. 210 gr Barnes TTSX load work is planned. And new Norma 338 WM brass (thanks @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION ) is currently "out for delivery". :)

I've thought about doing a Nilgai hunt a few times but never got to the serious research stage. This thread brought that interest firmly to the surface....

My deposit went out to Sam this morning. January 2025 - hopefully the rut will be on and the days chilly!

I plan to fly in and if successful use one of the two local processors, and have the meat shipped.

What is recommended - as far as mostly hamburger vs steaks if you take a mature (older) bull? Sam seemed a little surprised when I indicated that was my goal. I guess they do a lot of meat hunts (cows / younger bulls preferred).

The AIV Sako 338 Win Mag is out from the back of the safe. 210 gr Barnes TTSX load work is planned. And new Norma 338 WM brass (thanks @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION ) is currently "out for delivery". :)
Congratulations on your booked hunt! They do a lot of meat hunts and big bull hunts, I kind of get the impression that not too many people that fly in have their meet shipped home. I drove from the east coast but due to other hunts planned for that trip, I had a local processor in Kingsville named El Campo do the processing and shipping. They also have a sporting goods store which is a good spot for last minute gear. I had my 5 year old bull’s tenderloins, back straps, and hand cut for steaks, then the rest ground and some sausage made. Total processing was around 450.00 for 200 lbs of meat. You will enjoy hunting on the Kennedy, all of the guides I met/hunted with were great guides and really know how to hunt the animals.

I took this one just last week with Tony Medina (hickspic outfitters)
Texas2024nilgai.jpg

@jduckhunter congratulations on the nilgai! Would you agree that a south Texas nilgai hunt is very similar to an African PG hunt? I think yes and it's a great gateway hunt for people in the US.

@jduckhunter congratulations on the nilgai! Would you agree that a south Texas nilgai hunt is very similar to an African PG hunt? I think yes and it's a great gateway hunt for people in the US.
It was an amazing adventure for sure, about as close to a safari as you're going to get. I probably wouldn't do it again in May though, the triple digit temps and humidity added an extra layer of brutality to an already tough hunt.

It was an amazing adventure for sure, about as close to a safari as you're going to get. I probably wouldn't do it again in May though, the triple digit temps and humidity added an extra layer of brutality to an already tough hunt.
Is there a good story to the hunt? Plus the south Texas heat and humidity are what make it fun (said sarcastically). What'd you shoot him with?

Interesting comments. I have no experience with nilgai, which reminds me Eland... but based on above posts, I would say; 338 win mag, 9.3x62 or 375 H&H would be my choice for this animal.

Is there a good story to the hunt? Plus the south Texas heat and humidity are what make it fun (said sarcastically). What'd you shoot him with?
I used the guides 6.8 Western. He disliked my 30-06 with 180 gr. bullets, he said, and I quote " the 30-06 just doesn't have enough ass behind it." My immediate response to that was that he had never hunted with the ass behind this 30-06. But not wanting to get into it with him any deeper I just used his gun.

I shot mine on the Kenedy Ranch in South Texas. It was one heck of a great hunt. Good hunting on your trip!

If your outfitter falls through, look up Cpt Josh Hartwick with Feathers and Sheds Unlimited; highly recommended.
IMG_3135.jpeg

I used the guides 6.8 Western. He disliked my 30-06 with 180 gr. bullets, he said, and I quote " the 30-06 just doesn't have enough ass behind it." My immediate response to that was that he had never hunted with the ass behind this 30-06. But not wanting to get into it with him any deeper I just used his gun.
Interesting take on his end.

YOUR A BETTER MAN THAN I, PRETTY SURE, NO POSITIVE, I WOULD NOT HAVE HUNTED WITH HIS GUN.

I shot mine on the Kenedy Ranch in South Texas. It was one heck of a great hunt. Good hunting on your trip!

If your outfitter falls through, look up Cpt Josh Hartwick with Feathers and Sheds Unlimited; highly recommended. View attachment 606362

I have not hunted Nilgai with Josh, but have duck hunted with him. He's been really focusing on Nilgai and definitely has his shit together. Nilgai with him has been on my list for a long time.

@SFRanger7GP No, but I am calling King today and have made two calls already. Have a friend that may hunt, with a 300UM, but when everyone finds out that I want to hunt with a muzzleloader they threaten me and hang up (not really).....still open to suggestions.......if you have any........FWB

@SFRanger7GP No, but I am calling King today and have made two calls already. Have a friend that may hunt, with a 300UM, but when everyone finds out that I want to hunt with a muzzleloader they threaten me and hang up (not really).....still open to suggestions.......if you have any........FWB
"...when everyone finds out that I want to hunt with a muzzleloader they threaten me and hang up...." :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I guess a muzzleloader falls in the 30-06 "not enough ass" category. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have been overrun with Colombians (family) this past week. I will get serious about finding hunts at the end of the month when my Mama directed mandatory socialization period gets a break. :LOL:

I will update you on my progress when I get going. I want to do it when it cools off. We come to Colombia to escape Texas heat.

Safe hunting

@SFRanger7GP Never having taken a Nilgai I am having some difficulty fully appreciating their toughness. Or so I'm being told. I use a .62 traditional rifle shooting hand cast balls of half pure lead and half wheel weight. I have taken 40 elk, deer and pronghorn (total) with this load, and it will break a lot of bone. Still, I understand their reluctance. A couple of guides thinking this over, so should have a hunt arranged soon......FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?