Newbie from Oz

Hi John, welcome to AH !

@JohnCZ
Don't worry about a 9.3 get a nice 35 Whelen they are great.
Bob

G'day and welcome,
You will get used to Bob spruiking about the mighty .35 and his passionate disregard of .243

I hope your trip yields something.

Welcome to AH JohnCZ. It is easy to see that you are going to fit right in with this bunch. Much like Bob Nelson, I'm a big fan of the 35 Whelen. I'm also a big 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser fan.

Welcome to AH, John!

Located o the Gold Coast and usually hunt New England area or out western Qld although it's been a while since I've hunted out west. Normal game is everything from rabbits to deer, pigs and goats etc.. Reload 222, 243, 25-06, 6.5x55, 270, 30-30, 308, 30-06 & 300Win.
@JohnCZ.
You seem to have most bases covered with that selection.
Bob

Located o the Gold Coast and usually hunt New England area or out western Qld although it's been a while since I've hunted out west. Normal game is everything from rabbits to deer, pigs and goats etc.. Reload 222, 243, 25-06, 6.5x55, 270, 30-30, 308, 30-06 & 300Win.
@JohnCZ
Mate keep the 222, 25/06, thutty thutty, and the 300 mag.
Get rid of the rest especially that good for nothin 243. You don't need it to have a perfectly good 25.
Get a 35 Whelen, a 9.3x62 or good forgive a pipsqweak 338 win mag and you have 99% of bases covered. Especially with the 9.3x62 as it just scrapes into a legal DG cartridge in some areas.
@bruce moulds will try and tell you the 9.3x64 is better, but hey he has plenty of time and money to look for the ammo for it.
Others like @CBH Chris will tell you the 375 H&H and I will confer that he is probably right despite the fact that he thinks the 243 is a good round. There is no accounting for taste but I'm still trying to educate both of them into the virtues of the 25 cal cartridges and the mighty 35 Whelen.
Don't worry about taking the piss out of those 2 mate they have Teflon shoulders and the crap just slides off.
PM me with your phone number for a yarn up if you want.
Bob

bob,
yet again you take my name in vain.
yes the x64 is a fine cartridge for oz, where you might have need for a bit of reach on big game, but still take closer shots.
i tried mine purely to compare against the 375 out of interest.
the 375 is easier logistically.
once you get dies, mine are simplex, and cases you can keep rocking.
next down is 7mm calibre being one that covers a hell of a lot of ground in oz.
the simplest one is the 7 mag, but i went each side of that with 280 rem and 7mm stw.
then on down to a simple 223.
what that won't cover in oz is very small.
bruce.

bob,
yet again you take my name in vain.
yes the x64 is a fine cartridge for oz, where you might have need for a bit of reach on big game, but still take closer shots.
i tried mine purely to compare against the 375 out of interest.
the 375 is easier logistically.
once you get dies, mine are simplex, and cases you can keep rocking.
next down is 7mm calibre being one that covers a hell of a lot of ground in oz.
the simplest one is the 7 mag, but i went each side of that with 280 rem and 7mm stw.
then on down to a simple 223.
what that won't cover in oz is very small.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I know you love the 64 and from what you have told me it's a mighty fine cartridge and I know you have a fondness for it. From what you have said it will knock the snot out of anything in OZ.
I haven't had anything to do with the 280 but If'n I was limited to one cartridge for here it would be the 280AI.
Just can't get my head around the 223. I had a beautiful little Sabatti mini action in 223 that would group any 55 grain I stuffed in it into itty bitty groups but I just couldn't get to like it. That's why I had my 22K Hornet built. I find it the baby bear of the 224s, just right. After that I just go straight for the 25. It might not be good for skins but it works.
Bob

bob,
when i used the 25/06 it was very good for goat skins with 87 gn sierra or hornady soft points.
when shooting fox skins, a 17/222mag ackley blew holes out the other side of them, but going to a 17 mack1V solved that problem.
the smaller cases do have a place for sure.
the only reason i have a 223 is that fox skins came to and end about the time i took up fclass, so i rebarreled the rifle to an 8 twist 223.
that twist is for 80 gn bullets, but shoots 50 gn bullets deadly accurate as well.
only thing is that the only 50 gn bullet that will hold together spun that fast is the nosler ballistic tip.
it is amazing the difference in terminal performance with the faster twist compared to the std twist.
with a 28" barrel it gives good speeds with not heavy charges using benchmark 2.
if i did not have a 223 i would probably not buy one, but having one it gets used more than expected.
shooting deer in built up areas is very safe with regards riquochets, no pass throughs etc, and quieter than the 280.
of course bullet placement is paramount in that application.
the 280, 280 ackley, 7mag, are terribly versatile mid game range cartridges which is most of what we do.
the stw with barnes bullets does surprising things to quite big animals, and the pre mentioned 7mms will do the same at closer ranges with shot placement.
i have dropped undisturbed camels where they stand at 300 to 350 yds with the stw when i have time to get a good rest and wait for the right shot. this aiming dead on, allowed by the excellent point blank range.
bruce.

Welcome to AH! You’ll love reading about all the hunting and firearms threads and posts from the many experts here on a plethora of subjects. Bob, Bruce and the many other fine gentlemen from OZ (and Mr. Von Gruff from NZ) will keep you entertained with their expertise and unique insights and preferences with their favorite rifles and cartridges. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, as Bruce reminded me when I first joined AH, “the only stupid question is the one you didn’t ask”. And, I’ve asked a LOT of them, because if you don’t know, you don’t know? Again, welcome!

Welcome to AH! You’ll love reading about all the hunting and firearms threads and posts from the many experts here on a plethora of subjects. Bob, Bruce and the many other fine gentlemen from OZ (and Mr. Von Gruff from NZ) will keep you entertained with their expertise and unique insights and preferences with their favorite rifles and cartridges. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, as Bruce reminded me when I first joined AH, “the only stupid question is the one you didn’t ask”. And, I’ve asked a LOT of them, because if you don’t know, you don’t know? Again, welcome!
@CoElkHunter
You would be surprised at how many people want to ask the same question but think it's silly as well, until someone actually does then watch out it's another thread.
Bob

Welcome, John! I have had the pleasure of hunting near your neck of the woods in Queensland in 2018 - brought my .280 Rem and went after deer. Can't wait to bring something bigger and chase something bigger in NT next time.

yes bob and i are clearly and unquestionably wise, but then we are also very old and so you would expect that.
garry (von gruff) is quite a bit younger, but is wise beyond his years.
then there is chris from broken hill who is younger again, but wise for his age and getting wiser every year.
all else aside we are definitely gentlemen as c e h so aptly describes.
bruce.

yes bob and i are clearly and unquestionably wise, but then we are also very old and so you would expect that.
garry (von gruff) is quite a bit younger, but is wise beyond his years.
then there is chris from broken hill who is younger again, but wise for his age and getting wiser every year.
all else aside we are definitely gentlemen as c e h so aptly describes.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I don't know about the wise on my part mate. Definitely old, grumpy, strong likes and dislikes, honest and most of all about as good looking as the south end of a northbound bound camel.
Forgot can a also be a funny bugga at times and a bit of a stirer .
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg