Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I was as interested in this buff as I was in the Landy. Same model as mine, so I went out and measured the landy - 62.2 inches! The reason I was searching 'buffalo and Land Rover' and unearthed this photo was because our plan was to put my buff on the back of the little Landy. Apparently to pull of this feat, as this yesteryear hunter probably did, they first gutted it, and then cut the carcass in two halves. As luck would have it the Landy was back in camp when we caught up with the buff, so it got a Japanese ride home.
5DBD1D42-23EA-4069-8A82-6874ABF38D63.jpeg

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I was as interested in this buff as I was in the Landy. Same model as mine, so I went out and measured the landy - 62.2 inches! The reason I was searching 'buffalo and Land Rover' and unearthed this photo was because our plan was to put my buff on the back of the little Landy. Apparently to pull of this feat, as this yesteryear hunter probably did, they first gutted it, and then cut the carcass in two halves. As luck would have it the Landy was back in camp when we caught up with the buff, so it got a Japanese ride home.
View attachment 385812
So imagine the bill if you plugged this boy by mistake!

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
I fully agree with those who say that shape will have much more to do with how your trophy looks than will three inches.

I've been fortunate to hunt a fair number of buffalo, and I also agree that the experience is the prize, rather than the horns. I do understand though that people (including me) want something nice on the wall. But under no circumstances should you trade a real buffalo hunt experience for horns of any size. A real buffalo hunting experience - and this is only my opinion - starts with tracking, usually from water in the morning, not with driving around until you spot a herd and then making a plan.

Here are some examples of horn size:

This was the first one I shot - 7 days of hunting and I believe he was around 37".

IMG_0317.jpeg

Here is another I shot a few years after that one. He was a problem animal with a very unusual boss. He was probably around 39 inches.

P1160077.jpeg

A few years ago I shot this fellow, which is the biggest I've taken so far - around 43 inches. He looks good, but I think it's the shape more than the size which makes him impressive.

P1080223.jpeg

Then there is an old cow which I shot a year after seeing her hanging around with the big bull just above. She was by far the meanest of the group - when I shot the bull, she gave me the stare of death, and I told her I'd come back for her. She's got a wide spread (40s), but shallow horns and, of course, not much boss.

P1160027.jpeg

There is one more I would like to show you, but I can't upload the picture for some reason. Will keep trying.

The bottom line is that I don't think you need to pay more for a couple of extra inches. Get a buffalo which looks good to you, and track it properly. This isn't like new TVs - you won't regret not having gotten the bigger one!

375Fox

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
I fully agree with those who say that shape will have much more to do with how your trophy looks than will three inches.

I've been fortunate to hunt a fair number of buffalo, and I also agree that the experience is the prize, rather than the horns. I do understand though that people (including me) want something nice on the wall. But under no circumstances should you trade a real buffalo hunt experience for horns of any size. A real buffalo hunting experience - and this is only my opinion - starts with tracking, usually from water in the morning, not with driving around until you spot a herd and then making a plan.

Here are some examples of horn size:

This was the first one I shot - 7 days of hunting and I believe he was around 37".

View attachment 385793

Here is another I shot a few years after that one. He was a problem animal with a very unusual boss. He was probably around 39 inches.

View attachment 385794

A few years ago I shot this fellow, which is the biggest I've taken so far - around 43 inches. He looks good, but I think it's the shape more than the size which makes him impressive.

View attachment 385801

Then there is an old cow which I shot a year after seeing her hanging around with the big bull just above. She was by far the meanest of the group - when I shot the bull, she gave me the stare of death, and I told her I'd come back for her. She's got a wide spread (40s), but shallow horns and, of course, not much boss.

View attachment 385823

There is one more I would like to show you, but I can't upload the picture for some reason. Will keep trying.

The bottom line is that I don't think you need to pay more for a couple of extra inches. Get a buffalo which looks good to you, and track it properly. This isn't like new TVs - you won't regret not having gotten the bigger one!
Was there something that caused the buffalo to grow the unusual boss? Really unique animal

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
Was there something that caused the buffalo to grow the unusual boss? Really unique animal
No idea. I had a Zim guy and a RSA guy with me and neither had ever seen anything like it. It had grown back towards his neck, and some thorns had become wedged between the boss and the neck skin. It might have explained his rather sour disposition - if he smelled people he ran after them rather than away from them, which made hunting him in the thick stuff interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LulaAlbrig

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh