New USA requirements in addition to the form 4457

I spoke with Officer Butler in Tampa. She had a call from another hunter late last week. She is in communication with her contacts to determine exactly how to handle and has committed to get back to me this week via phone or email. We'll see what happens.

NRA/ILA has had a blurb/press release that has been going out on FB. Every time the thing pops up o my page I make a comment about where the info came from and how it can effect a gun owner. Lots of guys saying "who cares, I don't go out of the US" they just don't get it...even when you jog their conscience.

I posted that on my Facebook page, 1 like and 1 comment blasting the NRA. Bubba at the Wal-Mart, does not care about traveling to hunt, I guess. Maybe Bubba will start to care when the rest hits the fan.

As I noted, let your due diligence dictate your actions regarding this issue. Seems to be numerous Federal Agencies in the dark on this matter and how to logistically implement.

Just an interesting side note: I went to the rifle range yesterday to practice. Out of about 2 dozen shooters, only myself and one other gent had bolt action sporting rifles. Another fellow had a "sporterized" (poorly) mauser bolt action military rifle, and the rest had.....................

AR15s!!!

My how the world has changed. I remember when the opposite would be true (about 20 or so years ago); there would be bolt action Remington, Winchester, and Ruger rifles, lever actions in Winchester and Marlin flavor, and the Remington pump and semiauto rifles, with the occasional BAR thrown in. Now it's all ARs, AKs, and SKSs. Don't really care what a person shoots, but I definitely think that the hunter is the minority these days.:(
I guess if I was told by some govt. official not to worry about something, that (for me) would be a time to worry.............esp. where laws are concerned. I would get both his/her name and title, as well as their bosses........and I would probably have my attorney on speed dial. The law is on the books, and it's THE law.......just because some agencies choose to do selective enforcement will NOT protect you, and God forbid that you be the one they intend to make a test case/example out of!
......after all, this is the Federal Government we are talking about!:whistle:

Some advice without giving advice. It is not ICE or CBP, or whatever federal agency that decides who will be prosecuted and who won't. It's the US Attorney's Office and unless you have a non-prosecute agreement with them, I would not rely, on what the ICE, CBP or whoever else told you not to worry about it because they do not have the authority to waive prosecution.

Some advice without giving advice. It is not ICE or CBP, or whatever federal agency that decides who will be prosecuted and who won't. It's the US Attorney's Office and unless you have a non-prosecute agreement with them, I would not rely, on what the ICE, CBP or whoever else told you not to worry about it because they do not have the authority to waive prosecution.

Yes. Also another thing that might be worth noting speaking on the phone etc... is useless. If you get advice from someone at these orgs and then if you get into trouble and say I spoke with so and so, that official could flatly deny they told you so. They might also be entrapping you on purpose. The best thing is when seeking clarification or advice from these government agencies is to email them, that way when they reply you have a written record or transcript of what they told you and that's far more powerful than saying I talked to so and so.

Dragan.....

Welcome to my world !!!!!!
You can send a e mail it will say nothing or they won't reply......
They won't incriminate themselves.....

None of these BS requirements may be impossible, or even very inconvenient, if you depart from Phoenix. But from where I live in Idaho, I cannot get deal with "submit the ....along with the firearms and ammuntion to the USCBP for visual inspection prior to departure" . I cannot get to the nearest office and back to SLC within 8 hours. The USCBP office in my port of departure (SLC) is closed when my international flite leaves. It is technically not possible. So much for hunting RSA this year and going on to Moz for buffalo. Only ONE country.................FWB

None of these BS requirements may be impossible, or even very inconvenient, if you depart from Phoenix. But from where I live in Idaho, I cannot get deal with "submit the ....along with the firearms and ammuntion to the USCBP for visual inspection prior to departure" . I cannot get to the nearest office and back to SLC within 8 hours. The USCBP office in my port of departure (SLC) is closed when my international flite leaves. It is technically not possible. So much for hunting RSA this year and going on to Moz for buffalo. Only ONE country.................FWB

Bill, would you normally get your 4457's done in SLC?

No, would make appt in Boise, drive the 5 hours each way. SLC departure time for next international trip is 59 min after midnight, Apr 1. CBP office closed for 7hr 59 min by then. My only option is to arrive at SLC at about 3PM and spend the day. But the real heck of it is that without the new law, I could fly out of the little local airport without the additional 5 hour drive to SLC and the then unappealing 8 hour wait after Customs gets done with me. And of course, my planning on a later trip to, say Umdende Bird hunting in RSA followed by a buff in Mozbq would be an illegal "export" to more than one country.

BTW.........appreciate all you and others on this thread are doing. Great work!..............................FW Bill

Bill, it is my understanding from what I got from Robert at SSI was that they will check everything at the check in when they inspect your rifles at your departure airport. So there is no actual extra step in being able to get your rifles onto the airplane.
Now weather it is done by a actual Customs officer or a TSA officer I have no idea and will deal with it when my time comes to leave in May.

Robert also said that if you are a client of SSI that they will get you the export number for free. This was in a post a number of pages ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly I heard back from my representative's office today - Richard Nugent Florida. His staff assistant, Shawna Williams called me, said that they had received my email, she had spoken to AES and that as along as I get an EIN, I can do the filing. I mentioned the concern of applying for an EIN when I don't own a business. She said she would call the IRS and get guidance from them. She called me back and then forwarded me the attached directions for applying for an EIN where it is needed for Fulfilling Federal Requirements. The directions are very detailed and give me more comfort that we can file for an EIN and then use AES Direct ourselves without causing some type of tax issue with the IRS.

I am curious about others thoughts after you read through these directions. I'm leaning towards applying for the EIN but will probably wait a few days to decide.

John

Attachments

• roeb_obtaining_an_ein.pdf
    392.4 KB · Views: 171
I'm leaving with a friend for SA in two weeks carrying the same rifles that we have carried previously. We're flying from Washington National to Atlanta, then to JoBerg. This will be our third trip in the past five years. We had no problems before but this is causing us lots of concern. We're torn about whether to go through the process. It is my understanding that if one obtains an EIN (and the IRS website is clear in saying that an EIN is for tax use only for business purposes, not for other government or non-government uses and not for individuals) that the IRS will expect a tax return to be filed for each EIN that is obtained. I definitely don't want to open that can of worms...

If Simplifiedtradesolutions.com website is correct, even of you hire a custom broker (like SSI), you still need an EIN, wow!

W-7 for TIN, mainly for Aliens, not much of a problem for most folks, in the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been noted on another forum that even if you use the services of another company, such as Safari Importers, you still need your own EIN to be completely legal...... This is just a PITA. On another forum a individual called customs in Atlanta ( where I'll clear customs returning end of May) and they said not to worry about it. Problem is that story could change when I'm there..... Bruce

I called Atlanta, that is what I was told. BUT it was not etched in stone, nor the gospel, nor guaranteed...Due diligence. We may be reacting to something that is not really an issue if it is not being enforced, BUT...do you feel lucky today.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I've finally found an IRS statement around using the EIN for AES filing. I'm feeling a bit more comfortable about applying for the EIN and only using it for this purpose.

http://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/irm_21-007-013r.html

21.7.13.2.6 (01-06-2014)
Form SS-4 Data and U.S. Census Bureau

Pursuant to the requirements of the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C 352a) and guidance from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the U.S. Census Bureau discontinued the collection of the Social Security Numbers from their customers when filing Electronic Export Information in the Automated Export System. You may receive phone calls from small businesses and individuals stating they need to apply for an EIN due to this reason. Advise the caller that they may apply for an EIN using our Online EIN Assistant, or by submitting a Form SS-4 by fax or mail.

JimP............thanks.............you are probably right, but the law says specifically that CBP must check the gun and ammo within 8 hours of departure. Not TSA. Since there is no CBP office within 5 hours of me, and the one 5 hours away is closed at the times I depart, I am a little nervous about leaving without my rifle. ...Perhaps it will be sorted out by this Summer, and on Apr 1, I am not taking a rifle, so may work out. The problem with difficult to interpret and vague laws is that someone can make your life Hell if they have a strict, literal interpretation, and there's little you can do about it..............................best of luck in this.....................Bill

Step one done!! Of course I didn't expect any issues in Anchorage since I was heading to Seattle from here and not an international departure. It was business as usual. A pleasant TSA guy swabbed the outside of my Tuffpak and didn't ask for the key to open it.

Alaska Air checked Joyce's bags through to Dubai and mine to Seattle at my request because I know Emirates will need to check serial numbers per their policy and form.

More later if I have time in Seattle.

Cheers
Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg