New USA requirements in addition to the form 4457

It is my understanding that when you check your bags in Omaha they should check it there. If I was you I would call the local Customs office in the Omaha airport and see what they have to say about it.

On your layover and going to another country, that is anyone's guess right now. I wouldn't worry too much about it but............

Right now a lot of it is up in the air as far as implementing it.

Of course I have a super early flight from Omaha too. At least it is small.

I am not an experienced international traveler: do all airports have a CBP officer on duty, even at 0430 in the morning? Omaha has a Customs branch outside the airport by a mile, but they are not an "international" airport per se.

Is is my responsibility to get the weapons checked by the CBP, or is it theirs? Meaning, if I obtain a number but the airport has no officer to check, then what?

I wish I was more saavy about such things, but then it seems to be speculative at this point anyway

Has anyone heard anything from the congressional sportsmans caucaus yet about this FUBAR?

My question would be, area all US Custom offices going to be able to issue a ITN number to a hunter when asked? It appears that one of the members I believe it is Frostbit here has been able to obtain one from his local US Customs agent. I'll give my local agent a call when he gets back into the office sometime next week to see if he knows anything about it. Huntermn15 if you can find out if the local offices can do this and post it back it will help a lot of us out.

I am not worried about myself since I can use Robert's office at SSI but I have two friends that are not using him and will need to find out for them since we are leaving in less than 2 months.

I still cannot wrap my head around the logistics of this:

I am checking my rifles in a relatively small airport in Omaha Ne. If I have an ITN number is there going to be a CBP agent there to do their thing, or do I need to recheck in Dulles and hope everything works out and I'm not stranded with rifles in that friendly place?

Also, with 15 hour layover in OR TAMBO with the required "temp import permit" for SA, am I going to run afoul of the regs, (those being that you cannot "export" to two countries on any one trip) will anyone know, or what?

I fly in three weeks.

One of the things I brought up to the CBP supervisor yesterday was that I was wondering just who will be checking on things at the time of departure. After all, you don't go through customs when leaving, you only deal with the TSA. The answer I got was that when firearms are handled by TSA, they are to contact CBP. So when they contact CBP, they SHOULD see that you've complied with the requirements and this is all okay.

For me personally, I've changed my flight arrangements to fly out of Phoenix now. I was originally going to fly out of LAX on a Saturday. But since I've had a number of conversations now with the Phx supervisor, I felt more confident that if I left out of Phx they could contact this supervisor if anything were to come up. And I'll be checking in on a Friday during business hours. I'm probably overreacting, but I'm doing what I can to ensure there is no issue.

I will be contacting this supervisor again on Monday morning. I'm going to ask him if he will be willing to accept phone calls from other CBP offices. He definitely seems to have this interim method down, by going through CBP only, to get you on your way with no issues. So I would think he could help other CBP offices through this interim process. I will let you know what I find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...international-travel-for-hunters-and-shooters

Looks like the plight of the international hunter has finally been picked up by someone at NRA-ILA. Hopefully this is the beginning of some answers and maybe.....just maybe a policy change. I'm not holding my breath. One thing is for certain however, we need to keep up the pressure. I plan to call my elected reps on Monday.

Where were they before this was being shoved down our throats? Oh, I forgot, calling my house every other night looking for additional money.

Has anyone heard anything from the congressional sportsmans caucaus yet about this FUBAR?

Earlier in this thread, you'll see where Rep. Don Young of Alaska, or at least his office has been quite instrumental in helping Frostbit out.

I also have contacted the local office for Rep. Matt Salmon who is my congressman. I talked to a gent there twice yesterday. The first time was to make him aware of my concern. The second time was to provide him with Don Young's name as a point of contact. He thanked me for that info and also told me a letter was already in the works from that office. Not sure what that letter will entail or who it was going to, but it was something. The gent was quite sympathetic to the problem, so I don't think he was just blowing me off. I plan to wait until next Friday before contacting him again.

Where were they before this was being shoved down our throats? Oh, I forgot, calling my house every other night looking for additional money.

Being that it seems we were all just blindsided by this this week, including the local CBP offices, I'm thinking this includes the NRA. I think we need to give them a little time to work on it.

I'm probably overreacting, but I'm doing what I can to ensure there is no issue.

Actually, I don't' think you're over reacting at all..........people accuse me of being paranoid, but that's only because the govt. is against me!;)

Earlier in this thread, you'll see where Rep. Don Young of Alaska, or at least his office has been quite instrumental in helping Frostbit out.

I also have contacted the local office for Rep. Matt Salmon who is my congressman. I talked to a gent there twice yesterday. The first time was to make him aware of my concern. The second time was to provide him with Don Young's name as a point of contact. He thanked me for that info and also told me a letter was already in the works from that office. Not sure what that letter will entail or who it was going to, but it was something. The gent was quite sympathetic to the problem, so I don't think he was just blowing me off. I plan to wait until next Friday before contacting him again.

Thank you for that update......I greatly appreciate it an the fact that SOMEBODY in the legislature actually seems to care.

Being that it seems we were all just blindsided by this this week, including the local CBP offices, I'm thinking this includes the NRA. I think we need to give them a little time to work on it.

Forgive me, but I was under the impression that our lobby money was for issues such as these. I can understand the little people like us being blindsided, but not the NRA. Sorry, no slack being cut by me.

Last edited:
Forgive me, but I was under the impression that our lobby money was for issues such as these. I can understand the little people like us being blindsided, but not the NRA. Sorry, no slack being cut by me.

Quite often organizations like the NRA depend on us the little guy to inform them of these kind of problems. They may head off a lot of the larger ones but you have to figure the small number of hunters that travel internationally as compared to the number that hunt only within the US that this is going to affect.

Just be happy that we have a organization like the NRA that will fight these battles for us instead of us the foreign traveler having to do it by ourselves.

Actually, I don't' think you're over reacting at all..........people accuse me of being paranoid, but that's only because the govt. is against me!;)

Thank you for that update......I greatly appreciate it an the fact that SOMEBODY in the legislature actually seems to care.

As mentioned previously, call the local office of your congressman. The local offices are there to hear from their constituency. The offices in Washington, not quite as much from what I can tell. Ask specifically if there is someone there who deals with TSA/CBP/ICE issues. Provide them with the various links in this thread and even this thread itself.

Be polite and I do stress that, but be a polite pain in the butt to them. I was fortunate to really not have to be that much of a pain. The gent I spoke to after explaining the situation understood the quagmire quickly and was quite willing to take up the issue.

I know it takes time out of your day and it's a bit of a hassle, but I did it and so can everyone else.

Mr. 16 Gauge,

I have yet to hear from them, but another organization that was recommended to me by the guys at RMEF was the Congressional Sportsman's Foundation. Apparently they have direct in-roads into the Congressional Sportsman's Caucus. I didn't find out about them until late yesterday afternoon, so I didn't have time to call them, but I did e-mail them. Their e-mail address is as follows:

csf@sportsmenslink.org

Their website address is : http://www.sportsmenslink.org

I figure the more noise, from more organizations with political "clout", along with individual hunters alike, can't hurt, and hopefully will generate a reaction along the lines of the action taken by the BATFE after the public outcry from the proposed ban on M855/SS109 ammo.....

Incidentally, I saw where the Director of the BATFE abruptly resigned from the BATFE yesterday (3/20). I'm not sure if it was pressure from his "boss" for shelving the proposed ban, or because of the fall-out from the proposed ban, but like you said previously, if public sentiment (supposedly >80,000 letters / comments to the BATFE) can get something like that overturned, then surely if a few million hunters cry out over something as stupid as this, maybe, if the regulations don't get outright overturned, at least is will be something that's workable for all hunters traveling internationally.

Right now, what's in place is a bunch of bureaucratic dung that doesn't work for anyone. The agents seem to hate it, and the hunters certainly do. It makes you wonder where this was actually being pushed from (as if I don't know), because any moron can see that this is unworkable from the get go, and unnecessarily burdens limited federal resources, not to mention hunters traveling with legally owned sporting rifles.

Quite often organizations like the NRA depend on us the little guy to inform them of these kind of problems. They may head off a lot of the larger ones but you have to figure the small number of hunters that travel internationally as compared to the number that hunt only within the US that this is going to affect.

Just be happy that we have a organization like the NRA that will fight these battles for us instead of us the foreign traveler having to do it by ourselves.

My last response to this tread: I am "happy" that there is an NRA, I know that all our gun rights would be gone without them. That is why I continue to be a member and encourage all gun owners to do so as well. Your comment of "Quite often organizations like the NRA depend on us the little guy to inform them of these kind of problems" is a ridiculous one to make. They are the ones with staff (that we pay for) that's sole purpose is to stay ahead of issues such as these. Happy hunting to all, where ever you may be traveling.

image.jpg

Phil, I hope this answers you question about your personal info....
MORE CONTROL........

I'm waiting for a call from AES to clarify the term "temporary export"
This is not as simple as we think .....
Thank God this was posted so it gives us time to ask all the right questions...
As much as they have us running SO ARE THEY.....

Phil, I hope this answers you question about your personal info....
MORE CONTROL........

Oh I have no question in my mind that the gov't is keeping a database of gun owners for at least those of us who have traveled abroad. Perhaps somewhat paraphrased quote from the CBP officer at LAX that cleared me back into the U.S. in June, 2013, "You didn't take these guns with you before?" Now how would he have known that?

I take no issue with the gov't trying to control ILLEGAL trafficking of firearms. It's when they're keeping tabs on me the innocent and what I'm doing with my rifles that concerns me. Whatever the case in the meantime we have no choice but to comply if we wish to take our rifles to Africa, so this is what I'll do. Outside of this trip however is the bigger battle of gov't overreach.

Last edited by a moderator:
In what should be a relief to all who are traveling abroad with their rifles for a hunting trip, from the link sandman posted:

My guess is that sometime in the future the AESDirect website will be changed to allow individuals like ourselves to file for the 3 guns or less / 1000lbs of ammo or less exemption and get the ITN number. Likely using our SSN or some other number. Passport number would be a good one to use since you'll obviously need it.

I doubt that, SSN are prohibited from use because they can identify the individual by, name, address and SSN for ID theft.

Well...This is a complete SH!T ST@RM. We leave in May and from JFK no less. The most gun friendly airport in the US.

It time we turn NY RED......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg