New USA requirements in addition to the form 4457

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by ActionBob, Mar 17, 2015.

1. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

I think we found your problem guys!

BARACK OBAMA

The White House, March 8, 2013.

2. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I have read this over. (1) it appears that this is the UN Small Arms treaty that Obama signed and but the Senate has not ratified, but is enforcing anyway. (2) in order to comply the owner will either have to obtain and EIN from the IRS and file for the exemption yourself or use an agent. (3) it looks like you will need exemption for Guns, Scope, Rangefinders, Binoculars.

If it was me, with ammo, I would use the manufacturers packaging and bring back the empty brass. And hopefully your box of ammo has pictures of animals, as I would be concerned about any caliber that might also be a military round, .308 comes to mind. Or safer just buy your ammo there.

This is just not a trip to Africa, its driving to Canada or Mexico too.

3. thi9elsp

thi9elsp GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique
    Jim thanks for the information. I'll call Tampa CBP next week and see about coming down there with my ammo to get an ITN. Geez, and I was making it easier by using the outfitter's rifle.

Christina Nyczepir likes this.

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Going into the US is the only country we do not require an expert permit. Although we do need the US permit.

The UN Small Arms treaty is at the centre of all this and at least the Canadian Government sited some objection to some of the more insane stipulations. Dissimilar to the above notedly in the White House.

5. Biddleman

Biddleman AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    Delta Waterfowl
    Hunted:
    USA, Botswana
    Been busy with work all week and just got to check up AH and see this crap. .
    I'm going back to work. More executive action by the emperor and his cronies. Makes me sick.

brushmore and Royal27 like this.

6. Biddleman

Biddleman AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    Delta Waterfowl
    Hunted:
    USA, Botswana
    Thanks for the info Jim. Have a great time!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015

7. ornery

ornery AH Senior Member

Hunted:
    South Africa
    Just got off the phone with Customs in Tucson. Heading over in a few months with a buddy. They say they haven't heard a word about needing an ITN number. Sounded ridiculous to them. Said they would check on it.

8. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe

+1

I was an intern in my US congressman's DC office one summer during college. (Way before the email days) My main job was opening a duffel bag full of mail every day and separating the letters into 6-8 piles of mail. Each pile dealt with a major subject at the time. Every pile had a form letter in response. We would print out the letter thanking the constituent for their input, put the letter into a signing machine, then send it out with the congressman's' felt tipped signed signature on the letter.

The only thing I did of substance for the constituent was keep a tally of which side of the issue they were on.

The only people that got individual treatment were the ones that were connected or/ had some relationship with the congressman or / had an oddball request like a son that had been arrested in Mexico for possession during summer break.

Interns weren't important enough to talk to constituents on the phone. Only real staffers deal with people that call!

What I am saying is you will probably get a 19 year old kid sending you a canned response to a written request.

I went through a similar situation to this last year with my senators and representative regarding Zim/Tan ivory issue. I called/ sent emails/ wrote letters to all three. The only satisfactory responses came from telephone calls.

Three months after my initial letters, I got a letter from one of my senators saying he would look into it and get back to me. I still haven't heard from him and since he is no longer a senator..................

9. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Ok, so a few points here.
    1. !@$@#%$^^&%#$#Q$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:E Red Hot::E Red Hot::E Red Hot::S Bs Flag::S Rant::S Rant::S Rant::Rage::Rage::Rage::Rage:
    2. This is impossible to do on your own, I've tried for several days.
    3. Thank God I'm a SSI client and Bob THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS FOR US!!!!!
    4. ActionBob, thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'd been up shit creek if you'd not said anything.
    5. I wrote a very unhappy email to mt Senator. I'm sure it wont do any good but we'll see what happens.
    6. will be calling SSI Monday morning to see what they need from me, I'm probably driving them nuts at this point.

Christina Nyczepir and brushmore like this.

10. Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hmmm......so let me see if I've got this straight.
    1.) our attorney general allows firearms (illegally) to go into Mexico, to make a point.
    2.) said attorney general looses track of said firearms....
    3.) firearms show up back here in the states, and are used to kill one of our border patrol agents
    4.) Public outcry against illegal acts by A.G. are "paid for" by an underling, who falls on his sword.
    5.) President (who thinks he is emperor), decides that best way to keep illegal AK-47s off the street (and keep said A.G.), is to hassle legitimate sportsmen hunting abroad using bolt action hunting rifles.
    6.) Nobody in congress seems to see the hypocracy or have a problem with this.:E Head Scratch:

AMERICA!.......WHAT A COUNTRY!:E Loopy:

Oh, almost forgot............said President keeps repeating his mantra: "We don't want to take your hunting rifles."

Yeah...................right!:E Hmmm::A Ill:

Christina Nyczepir and gizmo like this.

11. Frostbit

Frostbit AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, Alaska, Namibia, Zambia
    Thanks!! I'm sure we will. Spent some final range time today. I'm minute of clay bird at 30 yards with the double offhand at 100% and Joyce is less than 1 MOA at 50 yards (Leopard blind distance) off a camp chair with a 2 x 4 rest. I pity the Mozambique Leopards.

Cheers
    Jim (and Joyce)

12. brushmore

brushmore AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    South Africa
    I agree with all of your points Gizmo, especially #1!!!!

13. Frostbit

Frostbit AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Phone calls Boys, phone calls. Followed up with emails to provided accounts. Never use the website complaint pathway.

14. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Ya know, I've never had to take blood pressure meds before but after this I may. I just about had a stroke I was so pissed trying to do this on my own. AES and the IRS kept sending me back to each other with a minimum hour long hold to speak to some idiot that didn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground. Geez this country is going to hell in a hand basket and unfortunatly we're the rats stuck on the sinking ship.

15. huntermn15

huntermn15 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, AK SCI
    Hunted:
    U.S.A. NJ, TX, AZ, AK. Limpopo and the Kalihari in South Africa. Eastern Cape RSA 2017.
    Jim,

Thank you for posting this information! I will be heading to the Anchorage C&BP office next week to see if I too can get an ITN. Thank you again and safe travels.

Regards,

Mike

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

16. Frostbit

Frostbit AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:

Mike,

My pleasure. Be sure to ask for Chief Fernandez or someone in her unit. It's important to speak with the "export unit". There are different units in C&BP and they have differing capabilities. She is friendly and very helpful.

Cheers
    Jim

17. sandman0921

sandman0921 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
    Hunted:
    USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
    ThomasBeaham and brushmore like this.

18. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    In what should be a relief to all who are traveling abroad with their rifles for a hunting trip, from the link sandman posted:

"Fortunately for travelers who are unaware of these requirements or unable to use the AES, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has,for the moment, implemented a stopgap plan under which Customs officers at airports can manually enter identifying information about the traveler and the firearm. While this may prevent travel plans from being ruined, it also raises questions about how long the information will be kept and how it might be used. It is unclear how long this alternative will be available. It is also unclear how the new rules may be enforced in non-airport situations--for example, hunters who drive to Canada for the upcoming spring bear season."

The part in red falls in line with what I'm getting from a CBP supervisor at Sky Harbor airport here in Phoenix. He called me late yesterday after an initial phone call with him earlier in the week. Basically he explained that he can do just that, the part in red. He had done some research and indeed at least some parts of the gov't realize this system which is intended to prevent illegal arms trafficking had an undue impact on traveling hunters. So until the process is fixed, CBP has the ability to help you through it. Now whether or not your local CBP officer is aware of this is another question.

My guess is that sometime in the future the AESDirect website will be changed to allow individuals like ourselves to file for the 3 guns or less / 1000lbs of ammo or less exemption and get the ITN number. Likely using our SSN or some other number. Passport number would be a good one to use since you'll obviously need it.

Royal27 likes this.

19. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    My question would be, area all US Custom offices going to be able to issue a ITN number to a hunter when asked? It appears that one of the members I believe it is Frostbit here has been able to obtain one from his local US Customs agent. I'll give my local agent a call when he gets back into the office sometime next week to see if he knows anything about it. Huntermn15 if you can find out if the local offices can do this and post it back it will help a lot of us out.

I am not worried about myself since I can use Robert's office at SSI but I have two friends that are not using him and will need to find out for them since we are leaving in less than 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018

20. Amflyer

Amflyer New Member

I still cannot wrap my head around the logistics of this:

I am checking my rifles in a relatively small airport in Omaha Ne. If I have an ITN number is there going to be a CBP agent there to do their thing, or do I need to recheck in Dulles and hope everything works out and I'm not stranded with rifles in that friendly place?

Also, with 15 hour layover in OR TAMBO with the required "temp import permit" for SA, am I going to run afoul of the regs, (those being that you cannot "export" to two countries on any one trip) will anyone know, or what?

I fly in three weeks.