Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NWTF, NRA
For those of you that have been show us your African mounts and how you have them placed. I am also interested in the decor of the whole room.

I for one have only one spot left in my workout / trophy room. When i get last years public land archery buck back the room will be full.

I have my eyes on another room in the house and plan on turning it into a reading / African trophy room. So i am going to start from scratch. Everything but the new windows is going out the door. So any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Thunderhead... the layout and design is entirely to your taste and since you have an entire room and are starting from scratch, you can theme the plan to your desire. Some people like to organize their trophies goegraphically and have different categories of trophies in groupings. At the end of the day its how you want to live with your collection as long as you pick the right background color and have the right lighting, your ideas will best suit your collection. But if you need help in filling up your new trophy room, please get in touch with me :) Cheers,

Thunderhead...............mine are kind of spread throughout the house, with the majority of them in two areas, one up and one down. I am lucky as my wife is not a typical lady, an avid big game hunter, she likes a bear rug, sheep head or a cape buffalo skull better than crystal, china and knickknacks. (That should get Safari Chick going.;))

I am doing some room modifications right now and will post some pictures when done.

Skyline, your wife sounds like a cool chick, I'll call her design aesthetic Safari Chick Chic. No china, No plates on the wall, No crystal and certainly No nicknack's allowed. I prefer my taxidermy to be part of the design of the room, not the focus. For example in my living room a beautiful zebra skin rug (coming soon) atop a comfortable overstuffed white couch, a pair of bold and amazing pictures, one of a white rhino one of a black rhino, both done in pencil. An arrangement of impala and springbok horns neatly displayed European style (ebony wood plaque and skull only) as well as warthog tusks done similarly grouped together on a small accent wall. An ottoman/bench in espresso brown ostrich and a stalking leopard that I hijacked from my father in the corner being ever so discreet. I have to maintain a balance... too much taxidermy in a single womans' house can be intimidating while dating. Oh and very important, never ever under any circumstances should there be taxidermy in the bedroom! Bad feng shui and kind of creepy. Sadly I have seen that in the home of a lovely couple in my local SCI Chapter... just say No Mrs. Huntress! It's bad for the mojo to have all of those big plastic eyes staring at you while... well you know. Alas, I look forward to someday adding an old cape buffalo cape above the fireplace and elephant tusks flanking the hearth, but I certainly will destine myself to a lonely life if I take those trophies before I take a trophy husband... where should I hunt for one of those? I don't suppose they are hiding out in the African bush as well!!!:D:D:D

Safari Chick... they have been known to roam the african bush, but tell us now - would you pursue a well-worn, old trophy or settle for an immature bull?

Back to the trophy room... nothing like a good pair of ivory aside the fireplace and an old scared heavy bossed cape buffalo atop. The rest all falls into place.

Skyline, that's sweet, you sound like my dad... and of course you're right! How could I really be intrigued by guy who doesn't have a sense of adventurer and who would be intimidated by the likes of little 'ol me!?

Ryan, of course I've had a few opportunities to bag an immature bull, plenty of those around if you spend enough time hunting, but I knew instinctively that in the long run I would have felt disappointed that I hadn't held out for a true trophy bull, you know one I could be really proud of. I try to remind myself that it is just like hunting, the journey is just as important as the trophy itself, but the anticipation is killing me!

As far as the trophy room is concerned, when I'm ready to make those fine additions, I know a very friendlyTanzanian that I'll be calling to help me with my decorating... you wear many hats!

I was going to talk about trophy rooms but I am not sure that's what the conversation is about anymore... but just in case it is, I love trophy rooms. I do not care if it is simply a springboc in a garage or thousands of square feet of mountains, sheep, or even an elephant. My trophy room is very modest, some might even say tiny but everything in it means something special to me. Besides the game heads I have carvings and other curios that I have brought back from Africa and other places. I have a little box in a drawer with elk ivories, recovered bullets, and wild boar tushes that I get out every once in a while and go through. I have had some of this stuff for longer than I can remember but each time I pull it out it renews the memories of past hunts. Even though this is a small box that no one but my grandchildren and I see it is one of the best trophies in my room.

Safari Chick, I am a little long in the tooth for the other type of hunting but I would say hold out for a trophy that is as adventurous as you are. I have known no greater pleasure than what my wife and I have shared, and continue to share as we travel the world with rod and gun. Jim

Jaustin, yes this thread is actually about trophy rooms, but I apparently high jacked it, as there is no category for my love life on AH... hmmm?

Anyway, what is a trophy room really? It's a room full of memories, to anyone one else entering that room it is probably just a room full of taxidermy or maybe to your grandchildren it is a room where their grandfather tells them wonderful stories filled with great adventures in far off lands, which I am sure makes them love it as much as you do. But really in the end a trophy room is a very personal space, I mean how can you really go wrong if it make you think about so many good times and experiences?

I think it's so great that you and your wife not only obviously love each other but you like spending time together too! That's definitely on my list...

Safari Chick............that is right on the money. A trophy room is and should be a room full of memories for a hunter (s). So in the end the only person it has to please is the owner.

I see a little too much of the 'look at me' out there with some trophy rooms, while with others there is no doubt that it is a reflection of the people who live there, their thoughts and their journeys. Those are the ones I like and the ones you instinctively feel comfortable in.

As with trophies of the wilderness, so it is with civilized trophies - the pursuit is as important as the shot - always remember that no matter how good a shot you may be... on every safari there is at least one surprise and a miss!

I suppose the same applies to a trophy room - it could take a lifetime to fill, but enjoy the experience one trophy at a time. The room will give you great memories and the empty spaces, more desire for experiences... and memories in the making. Get that trophy room sorted. NOW! Cheers : )

Well said Skyline and shallom,
My trophy room now is not that impressive by some standards, but i can sit in there and tell storys of adventures from the mountains of georgia to the artic circle across to colorado down to texas and many places in between.

Safari Chick,
If theres one thing i have learned after 15 years of marriage, its hard. We have had rough patches along the way that make boot camp look like a vacation. So dont settle, you just have to keep looking for the right one. When you find him grab a hold and never let go.
Sounds like i need to get you to decorate my room by the way.

Great Hunters vol I.-V.

I recomend Great hunters vol I.-V. books for inspiration to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg