New SOLID from Swift Bullets

Forrest, I did not recommend that everyone shoot steel plates, but just reported our method of disqualifying bullets from our use on ele frontal brain shots.
Anyone who thinks that seeing that daylight hole in the steel plate does not give the shooter confidence in using a frontal brain shot on an ele, hold up your hands so all can see who has real experience with it and found it lacking.

Swift replied to an enquiry sent to them, asking how to crimp these bullets. He confirmed what I expected above, that the "step down" can be used to serve as one half of a crimping groove. He recommended seating the bullet 30 thou down and then crimping.

Does anyone have recent real world experience with these bullets?
I used the 400 gr 416 as back up on my buffalo in 2018. They worked very well. The bullets were almost identical in appearance to the ones shown by rinehart5050 in an earlier post. The bullets are different than barnes and nosler solids as they have a lead core. Bill, the owner of Swift told me that they are supposedly easier on older rifle barrels because of the design. The breakaway nose allowed the cartridges to chamber very easily out of the magazine into the chamber yet when the bullet hit the animal the cap broke away revealing a relatively large cupped frontal area.

this remnds me a lot of the woodleigh hydro solids with the protective cap. the curve of the front of the bullet appears as if it is to create a cavitation bubble like the hydros. this dramatically reduces drag while at the same time creates a wider wound channel than a conventional solid. i hope they release soon and the cost is less than the hydros, because i am an absolute believer in this style bullet for max penetration. ive put this bullet with tremendous success on griz in alaska. incredible penetration.

I spoke with Brad from Swift Bullets at SHOT Show today and here is a pic of their new solid. Available any time now... IIRC he said 80 inches of very straight penetration in wet newspaper from the .375 dia.

View attachment 36427
Love it but sure is expensive

Does anyone have load data for the 500gr .474 Break Away Solid that they are willing to share? Maybe the Swift Reloading Manual? Even better, if anyone has the quickload bullet file that they are willing to share I would really appreciate it.

Does anyone have load data for the 500gr .474 Break Away Solid that they are willing to share? Maybe the Swift Reloading Manual? Even better, if anyone has the quickload bullet file that they are willing to share I would really appreciate it.
NOTE: THIS DATA IS FOR SWIFT AFRAME BULLETS.
SWIFT RECOMMENDS THAT SWIFT BREAKAWAY SOLIDS LOADS BE REDUCED BY 3.0 GR FROM THE AFRAME LOAD DATA TO ACHIEVE THE SAME POINT OF IMPACT AS THE AFRAME BULLET.

Reload Data from Swift
for 470 NE 500 gr AFrame, .474
Cartridge OAL 3.980 inches
Maximum case length 3.250 inches
Case trim length 3.240 inches

Hodgson H-1000 Start 109.3 gr Max 117.5 gr
Hodgson H-4831 Start 103.7 gr Max 111.5 gr

Alliant RL-22 Start 99.5 gr Max 107 gr
Alliant RL-25 Start 107.9 gr Max 116.0

IMR 4831 Start 93.0 gr Max 100 gr
IMR 7828 Start 96.7 gr Max 104 gr

I agree that steel plate is not only of limited value on a large animal. It is probably even poor in comparing different bullets in head-to-head trials. I'm reminded of a famous shooter [he is so famous that I can't remember his name]. He said a 220 swift, when loaded with a solid of about 55 grains would penetrate a significant steel plate of 1.5 or 2.0 inches whereas a 30-06 firing a 180 grain bullet [solid?] would not. He demonstrated and was able to shoot through the plate time after time with the 'little' 220 Swift. The 30-06 only dented it. Now the 220 leaves the muzzle at almost 4,000 ft per second whereas the 30-06 might be going 2,700 ft per second.

The 220 Swift is adequate for whitetail deer, impala, bushbuck, pronghorns and mature hogs but probably shouldn't be used for larger game. I just shot a large roan bull, Sable, Oryx with a 30-06. They were all devastating one shot kills. A 220 Swift on the same animals would have probably produced long follow ups.
Spoonieduck:...P.O.Ackley may be the "shooter" who's name you can't recall. Vol 1 HANDBOOK FOR SHOOTERS & RELOADERS page 83

NOTE: THIS DATA IS FOR SWIFT AFRAME BULLETS.
SWIFT RECOMMENDS THAT SWIFT BREAKAWAY SOLIDS LOADS BE REDUCED BY 3.0 GR FROM THE AFRAME LOAD DATA TO ACHIEVE THE SAME POINT OF IMPACT AS THE AFRAME BULLET.

Reload Data from Swift
for 470 NE 500 gr AFrame, .474
Cartridge OAL 3.980 inches
Maximum case length 3.250 inches
Case trim length 3.240 inches

Hodgson H-1000 Start 109.3 gr Max 117.5 gr
Hodgson H-4831 Start 103.7 gr Max 111.5 gr

Alliant RL-22 Start 99.5 gr Max 107 gr
Alliant RL-25 Start 107.9 gr Max 116.0

IMR 4831 Start 93.0 gr Max 100 gr
IMR 7828 Start 96.7 gr Max 104 gr
Thank you, I really appreciate the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg