Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I wanted to get my camp knife out of the way. I found a local leather shop that made me this behind the back carry sheath. I really like it, and it is quite functional.

20201017_114055.jpg
20201017_114129.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks well done.
How hard is it to put the knife back in the sheath with it behind your back?
Not bad so far, still have all 10 digits. I put my thumb near the opening, and run the spine along it so I can sense where the knife is in relation to the sheath. Like one does when practicing Iaido. It seems to work. But, you are correct, care is required.

Last edited:
Glad you like it, I'd be skeptical!!

Just be careful when you sit down.

A bit low, for my taste.

Not bad so far, still have all 10 digits. I put my thumb near the opening, and run the spine along it so I can sense where the knife is in relation to the sheath. Like one does when practicing Iaido. It seems to work. But, you are correct, care is required.

It wasn’t your fingers I was thinking you need to be careful not to stick :)

Cool concept... I’ve just never been able to get used to much of anything behind about the 4 and 8 o’clock position on my belt..

Even back in the bad old days of my cop career I hated having handcuffs and other crap that far back on my bat belt...

Just be careful when you sit down.
It sits in the bottom of small of my back when I sit (the rise of my glutes) but not uncomfortable. So far so good. We shall see i suppose and then it will become a side draw if it doesn't pass the reality test.

My thoughts too. Only ever done the one back sheath.
I am not leaning on it, I don't think. I will see when I actually try to nap against a tree one fall day. But, the idea was to get the big knife out of the way until needed.

Update: don't make a sheath like this. It was actually fine, sitting in the truck, ATV, or hiking into the woods. But, my lovely knife left on its own accord at some point. And, being on my back, I had no idea it had stepped out until it was too late. The sheath seemed to have a very reasonable grip on the blade. But, evidently not good enough for whatever gymnastic position I took clambering around dead fall. Sad.

Bummer. But maybe some lucky and lost Gent will find it useful in a time of need.

It is now time for a visit to @Von Gruff ’s website for a new year’s present to yourself.
His knives are superb. I have bought a few.

Bummer. But maybe some lucky and lost Gent will find it useful in a time of need.

It is now time for a visit to @Von Gruff ’s website for a new year’s present to yourself.
Mmm, Mr Gruff made a small and useful belt knife for me. I did seriously consider the cross draw sheath option for versatility. Maybe that’s would work for you.
Sorry you lost your knife.

Mmm, Mr Gruff made a small and useful belt knife for me. I did seriously consider the cross draw sheath option for versatility. Maybe that’s would work for you.
Sorry you lost your knife.
Thanks buddy. His edc is a great knife. I bought it with a horizontal draw. I also got ones for my boys.

Update: don't make a sheath like this. It was actually fine, sitting in the truck, ATV, or hiking into the woods. But, my lovely knife left on its own accord at some point. And, being on my back, I had no idea it had stepped out until it was too late. The sheath seemed to have a very reasonable grip on the blade. But, evidently not good enough for whatever gymnastic position I took clambering around dead fall. Sad.
Sorry to hear that.

I have a habit of tucking the lanyard in my belt.
Helps hold it in the sheath in case this happens.
Not great for quick drawing, but it's a hunting knife.
My EDC knife is more easily accessible.

Sorry to hear that.

I have a habit of tucking the lanyard in my belt.
Helps hold it in the sheath in case this happens.
Not great for quick drawing, but it's a hunting knife.
My EDC knife is more easily accessible.
That is very good advice! C'est la vie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois