New Knife Website

JT.....ok, I get it (y)

This is the JT Ranger pattern that I used to cut out a couple of blades this morning so I can get them ready to heat treat with the skinner and thumb rest skinner that are currenty ready. 5 1/2 inch blade of .156 1095.

View attachment 214662
Had a ball working through this yesterday with our resident Kiwi knifemaker. Lawrence has a gift for simplicity and utility of design which is so great to see in an artistic area where all too often flash obscures usefulness. I had some fairly basic, but specific requirements - an African knife needed to combine camp utility with lethality - that may not be on everyone's travel kit list, but it is high on mine. I joked that it was likely the Airborne Ranger burned deep into my psyche. In any case, this is the design which emerged and I think it will be a fabulous blade. It will reside in a weak-side butt forward carry which is perfect for riding in a land cruiser or when easy access is required. I can't wait to see the finished product.

My pleasure @Red Leg I really enjoy the consultatvie design process.

Wow, that is going to be a beautiful knife. I can't wait to see the final product. (y)(y)

Had a ball working through this yesterday with our resident Kiwi knifemaker. Lawrence has a gift for simplicity and utility of design which is so great to see in an artistic area where all too often flash obscures usefulness. I had some fairly basic, but specific requirements - an African knife needed to combine camp utility with lethality - that may not be on everyone's travel kit list, but it is high on mine. I joked that it was likely the Airborne Ranger burned deep into my psyche. In any case, this is the design which emerged and I think it will be a fabulous blade. It will reside in a weak-side butt forward carry which is perfect for riding in a land cruiser or when easy access is required. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I think this is a very cool collaboration. I would love to know the concept behind the key design features. Stupid question, what is "weak-side". Is that left for a right handed person?

I think this is a very cool collaboration. I would love to know the concept behind the key design features. Stupid question, what is "weak-side". Is that left for a right handed person?
If you have tried to sit in a Landover or pickup very many times with a knife on your belt, you will find that you are constantly fighting the thing - almost as bad as wearing a bloody sword. I am right handed. By wearing a knife on the left side (my weak side) in a sheath which puts it butt forward at a 45% angle, it is never in the way, and far more accessible than a knife worn on the back quarter of my right hip.

I don't want all this to sound particularly melodramatic, but I have had to follow up leopards three times over the last decade (only one was mine and he was very dead - the other two were not - I am not ashamed to say that I was just as glad we didn't close with them). Five and a half inches of readily accessible steel is at least somewhat comforting as a last ditch tool to try and remove an angry cat. Certainly more comforting than someone blasting a round or two in amongst us to try and shoot the thing. Twice I have been accosted by a drunk African while "watching the cruiser" while my PH picked up supplies. The worst incident was at Rundu on the Angolan border where I was very close to having to take defensive action. Again, I don't want to sound like a drama queen, but I am still trained well enough to use a knife in a situation when a handgun is not an option - much of that early training came as an Army Ranger. Finally, I wanted a good camp knife that could can gut and quarter a deer, cut a rope, or cut up a potato.

This design tries to pick up the key elements of those requirements with focus on design simplicity and ergonomics. Gary, has amazing intuitive understanding grounded in deep experience. The creative process was fun, and I am excited to see the final product.

Last edited:
Just a slight correction @Red Leg I live in lawrence (South Otago NZ) but my name is Garry, not a biggie but just to ease any confusion - on my part as much as anyone elses ;)

Just a slight correction @Red Leg I live in lawrence (South Otago NZ) but my name is Garry, not a biggie but just to ease any confusion - on my part as much as anyone elses ;)
Dude I am so sorry - pretty crappy collaboration! :(

A simple mistake to make and it comes from how I had the wording at the bottom of my home page. Have edited it to make it clear that Lawrence is the town I live in.

I think this knife is a unique opportunity for folks to benefit from the combined years of experience: A quality build and purposeful design. (y)(y):cool:

What are you planning to use for scales on the JT Ranger? For the uses outlined by Red Leg this knife will certainly fill the bill. The overall length just about demands a cross-draw. What is the sheath going to look like?

The scales for Red Legs JT Ranger knife have been upgraded to buffalo horn and the sheath will be a simple pouch sheath but with the belt loop set for 45 degrees with the handle portion of the sheath above the belt line.

Garry (from Lawrence :) ):

I made it back to the US and after spending a few days in Houston, arrived home in Louisiana and a package from you was in my stack of mail. Very, very pleased with both of my knives! The larger one is a very substantial piece of iron, the scandi blade really adds some heft. The smaller field scalpel really compliments the larger one and between the two, will cover all my needs. Both knives are razor sharp too! The sheaths are excellent quality and craftsmanship.

Thanks!
Dave

knife.JPG

Thanks Dave. Pleased they will do all that you need them to. These knife pairings are a good way to have combinations that will cover a multiplicity of chores.

This is a great thread, that I just now have noticed. Von Gruff, it seems you found your calling! Some good looking skinners at great prices. Nice web site also!!!

Thanks @sierraone The hunter skinner seems to be a very popular design for the medium deer sized game.

I have added a gallery of some sample completed knives over the last few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.