New Guy Looking for Some Guidance

Rockjockey

AH member
Reaction score
Media
WOW, what an incredible resource this site is. I haven't found a cyber site that the members conduct themselves in such a respectful and helpful manner. Kudos to all.

My question is how much will it cost to import several mounted heads (Kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, blesbok and bontebok) from South Africa to Alberta. I can get a pretty good idea of the cost for the taxidermy, paperwork and crating itself. Estimating the shipping seems to be a bit more of task.
I'm not looking for an exact cost just an idea.

Sincerely
RJ

I would say between 2000.00 and 2500.00 maybe a little more.

Welcome. Just ask your outfitter to get an guesstimate from the taxidermist he is suggesting!
They can get it from the freight company for you!!

All the best

Welcome to AH Rockjockey! Glad you are enjoying the site!

Welcome to AH !

Brickburn can help with this. I think he just brought some trophies into Canada. I think there is a tax on the trophies that he would need to explain.

Welcome to AH. I agree with Bill and James. Around $2,000 to ship and receive. Not sure on the Canadian taxes as Charlie already mentioned.

I'd give a call to SSI and talk to Robert or Rosella there.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, what an incredible resource this site is. I haven't found a cyber site that the members conduct themselves in such a respectful and helpful manner. Kudos to all.

My question is how much will it cost to import several mounted heads (Kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, blesbok and bontebok) from South Africa to Alberta. I can get a pretty good idea of the cost for the taxidermy, paperwork and crating itself. Estimating the shipping seems to be a bit more of task.
I'm not looking for an exact cost just an idea.

Sincerely
RJ

Rock Jockey

I am going to take this as you are talking shoulder mounts with maybe a slight turn to the head.
The Kudu and Gemsbok will be what i would call med-size mounts. The Wildebeest, Blesbok and Bontebok will be mid size mounts. The horns on the Kudu and Gensbok will have to be installed after you receive the shipment. Make sure that you have the instructions to do this.

Shipping to Canada, i am not sure what locations you will be importing to and or where you are located.
You have the option of sea or air. Sea could be less expensive, if you were relatively close to the Canadian east coast.

As with all shipping it is by weight and volume (size of the package). I am going to estimate that it will in the range of between $1,700 to $3,000 US dollars. From my perspective, Most airline change their rates monthly it appeared to me. Therefore, After the shipper get the crate they will give you a quote that is good for 30 days. Act quickly, as one time my crate was stacked in front of and it took the shipper 5 months to find my crate.

Look at shipping insurance, from delivery to your home. One of my deliveries to me had 2 forklift holes in the side and one mount was knocked lose in the crate.

Here is an example of shipment costs for you JNB to YYC.

Springbok Skull, Blesbok Skull, Springbok skins 9 , Blesbok Skin.
The shipment comprises of 1 x wooden case with the following logistics:
Volumetric mass: 14 kg
Actual mass: 14 kg
Dimensions: 52 cm (L) x 32 cm (W) x 32 cm (H)
Cost USD $538.79

Buffalo Skull, Impala Skull, Shoulder Mount Kudu, Shoulder Mount Bushbuck, Shoulder Mount Reedbuck, Shoulder Mount Nyala, KUDU BACK SKIN NYALA BACK
BUSHBUCK BACK SKIN, BUFFALO FLAT SKIN TANNED LEATHER
Curios

The shipment comprises of 1 x wooden case with the following logistics:
Volumetric mass: 287 kg
Actual mass: 129 kg
Dimensions: 146 cm (L) x 119 cm (W) x 99 cm (H)
Cost: USD$ 1809.37 ($2,000,000 Canadian at the moment)

The packing job to get it all in.

IMG00025-20120404-1716.jpg
IMG00023-20120404-1715.jpg

THE DIFFERENCE IN SIZE OF THE TWO CRATES
IMG_6730.jpg

Awesome guys!
Thought I might have to sell a kidney to pay for my stuffies, to get back to Alberta. This is making my decision on taxidermy a lot easier.

You can get and estimate from Robert on AH and you can also contact Safari Cargo in RSA and get a very good idea of what the current costs will be.
Safari Cargo has given me estimates that have never been wrong, thus far.
Gave them a list of what I am hunting and the type of mount and I get a number to budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH Rockjockey! Enjoy the site and your hunt those are some fine trophies you have picked out for yourself.

Welcome!

You've come to the right place and gotten some great guidance already. Shipping and importing have always been the voodoo part of this African obsession for me. :)

Just got a bill from Namibia Safari services $2483 to Edmonton from Windhoek. I believe the shipment I just got from Joburg using Safari Cargo was a couple hundred cheaper. I you don't live near a airport,t I would suggest using Talon Distributing to broker you trophies through customs. I've had friends do their own and they had to do 5 trips to the airport. 5 days off work and fuel with hotel from GP is a lot more then what Dale charges.

I've been wondering about the same thing, thanks for saving me a post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross