AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
I recently worked a deal with Champlin Arms for a Krieghoff 500/416 double. I believe that doubles should have a rimmed round and it gives the same ballistics as the 416 Rigby/REM/Ruger class of rounds. I have had two acquaintances that have them and love them. I realize it is an unusual choice but it came with brass, dies, 120rounds of factory Hornaday practice ammo, aimpoint red dot, and a set of 20 ga barrels. I was able to get it out yesterday and shot both the DGX and DGS bullets. Both the softs and solids gave barrel groups that were touching the solids gave the best but were 3 in apart almost on the same horizontal plain. Speed in the chrono was 2245 average. The softs had about 3 1/2 in of barrel crossover. speed average was 2452. So softs would need to slow down and the solids speed up to get a acceptable both barrel composite grouping. Even with the Hornaday practice ammo I was able to solidly hit 8 in plate at 100 with both loads. The rifle was regulated with Norma OH ammo. It gives me a solid base to work from in developing a set of loads for Swift A-frames and CEB solids.

IMG_3374.JPG
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great rifle and great caliber! I have it in my S2 and it seems to be one of those non-finicky sort of cartridges.

Obviously, the K-gun is a world class rifle as well. Looks like yours may have Recknagel scope bases as well?

@Red Leg you are correct on the scope bases, I plan on ordering a set of rings. The two rifles I have acquaintances that own are a Blazer like yours and a k-gun. Since both barrels grouped well I am looking forward to developing loads. The factory ammo is the older dgx and dgs so I will use them for practice.

Good for you! How was Champlin as far as the sale and transfer? I hope all worked well for you, they are a great outfit.

looked seriously at buying this from George! I'm glad you bought it! i have two 470NE and wasnt sure
I could justify owning it. glad it shoots well. The only 500-416 I've shot was identical to this gun with 14"
lop and recoil was similar to 470.

Great shooting rifle, i have the exact model without the 20 gauge barrels. I will tell you that i had a hell of time trying to get the gun to regulate with solids and softs. I personally do not like woodleighs (no offense anyone), just saw one disintegrate on a buff head. Since Kreighoff will NOT re-regulate a gun on hand loads, I had Hendershot load me some 400 gr swift a-frames and had the gun regulated with that ammo. It took them 11 shots. I chrono'd the leftover and then ladder tested my own handloads. The result is I have swift a-frames and hornady dgs (yes they were closer to the POI for the a-frames) hitting within 2-3 inches for all four shots. It was cheap and quick for Krieghoff to this. I believe under $300 because I supplied the ammo. Just a thought for you.

Good luck with the gun, great purchase.

Great gun! Lots of bullet choices these days in 416...

Congratulations @AZDAVE.
I've alway been a fan of the 500/416NE.
Having a set of 20 bore barrels is icing on the cake.

@K-man Champlin was good to deal with, easy transaction and shipped to my FFL.
@Surgeon1 George was a nice guy to deal with and I am happy with the rifle. I like the cocker/decoker/saftey that this rifle has, I found the recoil very easy to deal with a little more than my 450/400 and closer to 450/470 range.
@MMAL Thank you for the information, I will keep it in mind if I have a problem working the loads. So far my assesment is based on good consistent grouping from each barrel and the much different velocity from hornaday that I should be able to develop a solid load that will shoot well.

Awesome gun Dave! Can’t wait to hear more

Congratulations on your new double currently looking at one myself, but I have a 470 that is beautifully regulated.

Congratulations, Dave and good hunting.

Beautiful, congrats!!!

Congrats on the new additions! Looks great!

Congrats! If I ever buy another double, the Kreighoff will be on my short list. The combi cocking feature is something you would need to get used to for sure, but it's definitely very safe to carry.

Champlin was good to deal with, easy transaction and shipped to my FFL.
@Surgeon1 George was a nice guy to deal with and I am happy with the rifle.
Yes - with him being so close by, I had to wean myself from just going by and drooling. I believe George has probably forgotten more about doubles than most normal people will ever learn. Congrats on a great gun!

Good afternoon,
Just finished my 3rd range session, working to develop a load for 400gr Swift Aframes/CEB solids. I do believe I have found the load. 50 Meters with a right and left with both bullets. also rang a 6in steel plate at 100 M with a group just over 3 in. (Didn't get a picture as my buddy painted the 100 while I was going back to get my phone) Picture posted 90 degrees off.
500416.jpeg

Good afternoon,
Just finished my 3rd range session, working to develop a load for 400gr Swift Aframes/CEB solids. I do believe I have found the load. 50 Meters with a right and left with both bullets. also rang a 6in steel plate at 100 M with a group just over 3 in. (Didn't get a picture as my buddy painted the 100 while I was going back to get my phone) Picture posted 90 degrees off.View attachment 368541
Superb! Do not change a thing. That rifle will hunt. Three-inch composite and each barrel MOA is my goal on doubles at 100 meters. If using a scope, sight in on the right barrel. In that caliber, that will give "single shot" accuracy to 225 meters, and the second immediate follow-up shot will be within a few MOA out to that range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briansmith4631

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois