New Double

Good afternoon,
Just finished my 3rd range session, working to develop a load for 400gr Swift Aframes/CEB solids. I do believe I have found the load. 50 Meters with a right and left with both bullets. also rang a 6in steel plate at 100 M with a group just over 3 in. (Didn't get a picture as my buddy painted the 100 while I was going back to get my phone) Picture posted 90 degrees off.View attachment 368541
did you shoot that with a scope or open sights?? If open sights how fine is your fore sight? Also Im never too sure how many grains to go up or down in. so far I have been doing 5 grn +- untill im close then 2grn.

@norfolk shooter I shot with open sights. It has a small silver bead ( I will have to measure it to give you exact size) I also have a red dot that I will try. I need to pickup a set of scope mounts so that I also have that option. When I am developing a load I shoot the factory loads and if they shoot well I check the muzzle veloicty, then use quickload software to get a rough idea of suitable powders and go up and down 2 grains from what data I get from quickload. then hopefully I can get the load close. Once I am close I go up and down a grain from that load till I work out a acceptable load for each bullet I am planning on hunting or target shooting with. Sometimes you have to try several different powder to get the correct pressure curve to match what the rifle likes This double was very consistent grouping with each individual barrel and easy to develop my two loads for.

@Red Leg I like the idea of having a option with the scope to shoot longer with one barrel. Will try and see what kinda group I can get at 200 with it set for both barrels but I believe you are correct on the sight for the right barrel.

@crs should only need the second shot if the loose nut behind the scope doesn't do his job correctly:A Samurai:

@Red Leg I like the idea of having a option with the scope to shoot longer with one barrel. Will try and see what kinda group I can get at 200 with it set for both barrels but I believe you are correct on the sight for the right barrel.

@crs should only need the second shot if the loose nut behind the scope doesn't do his job correctly:A Samurai:
With my S2 and .375 and ‘06 barrels have taken game just beyond 200 meters with that technique. Only an issue if you intend to use the gun as a general purpose rifle on a mixed bag DG hunt.

I will be most likely a DG open sight or red dot rifle but having the scope that can easily go on or off the bases will provide an additional option. Will have to see when I get it afield.

@norfolk shooter I shot with open sights. It has a small silver bead ( I will have to measure it to give you exact size) I also have a red dot that I will try. I need to pickup a set of scope mounts so that I also have that option. When I am developing a load I shoot the factory loads and if they shoot well I check the muzzle veloicty, then use quickload software to get a rough idea of suitable powders and go up and down 2 grains from what data I get from quickload. then hopefully I can get the load close. Once I am close I go up and down a grain from that load till I work out a acceptable load for each bullet I am planning on hunting or target shooting with. Sometimes you have to try several different powder to get the correct pressure curve to match what the rifle likes This double was very consistent grouping with each individual barrel and easy to develop my two loads for.
My double had a nasty fat ol fore sight I fitted a 1mm sight the other day just need to take it tot he range and see how it helps. I might even find I have to re develop the load due to a better sight picture which it is. Thanks for the tips too bro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LashawnHay

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,