new cartridge

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
winchester and browning have brought out a new cartridge called the 6.8 western, and both will produce rifles for same.
it is 277 cal and aimed at heavy bullets.
the case is the same as the 270 wsm except for being 0.080 shorter.
some thought has obviously gone into this, as just putting heavy bullets (175gn?) in the wsm would doom it to failure due to slower twist barrels in the older cartridge rifles.
the older longer case cannot be fired in the newer chambers.
just another gimmic to separate fools from their money.
bruce.

Maybe I am being a curmudeon, but:

- What will this cartridge do that a .243, .260, 7mm-08, 6.5CM won't do? If you want to cross action lengths, then one could throw into the fight 7mm Mauser, .270WIN, .284
- What could they have done with the development funds wasted on this newest "greatest thing since sliced bread" cartridge if they had used it to buy more .22LR/5.56x45/.308WIN machinery?

Call me in ten years...

I'm a curmudgeon too..

I;m so glad they ran the ballistics all the way to 1000 yds on the box...

No thanks... I'll take my 116 year old 9.3 x 62

5CTMSW6PMVH3ZMVHQPCT7QHRQA.jpg

Attachments

• 5CTMSW6PMVH3ZMVHQPCT7QHRQA.jpg
    5CTMSW6PMVH3ZMVHQPCT7QHRQA.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:
it is clearly aimed at the long range market and to compete with the 7mm rem mag.
it delivers more at longer ranges than 243, 6.5 manbun, etc. in both bullet diameter and energy.
however it seems like an answer to a question that does not exist.
simply because fastish 7mm cartridges with the right twist offer a bit more as well.
the manbun is an excellent long range target round, but fails to deliver the power necessary out there.
bruce.

Hopefully, Savage will eventually chamber this new cartridge in their new pull bolt rifle? All long range cartridge/rifle discussions and controversies will then end and they’ll manufacture this cartridge by the billions and it’ll be the only cartridge available on the barren shelves in gun stores. Will the latest/greatest cartridge madness ever end?

Never been a big fan fan of short actions.
All the advantages belong to the manufacturer.
I don’t see the 2 oz of weight or 1/2” of bolt throw making much difference.
The problem comes with case capacity and the attainable energy/velocity.
Bullet seating depth and powder compression become issues for reloaders.

You would have thought that Winchester learned their lesson with the relative failures of the WSM and WSSM cartridges.
Apparently not.

Agree with @USMA84DAB
Let’s see where this is in 10 years and then I’ll take another look.

Last edited:
winchester and browning have brought out a new cartridge called the 6.8 western, and both will produce rifles for same.
it is 277 cal and aimed at heavy bullets.
the case is the same as the 270 wsm except for being 0.080 shorter.
some thought has obviously gone into this, as just putting heavy bullets (175gn?) in the wsm would doom it to failure due to slower twist barrels in the older cartridge rifles.
the older longer case cannot be fired in the newer chambers.
just another gimmic to separate fools from their money.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Just watch mate someone will neck it to 6.5 and claim it the new best thing since sliced bread and button up boots.
It will be necked up and down all over the place as well.
Bob

Never been a big fan fan of short actions.
All the advantages belong to the manufacturer.
I don’t see the 2 oz of weight or 1/2” of bolt throw making much difference.
The problem comes with case capacity and the attainable energy/velocity.
Bullet seating depth and powder compression become issues for reloaders.

You would have thought that Winchester learned their lesson with the relative failures of the WSM and WSSM cartridges.
Apparently not.

Agree with @USMA84DAB
Let’s see where this is in 10 years and then I’ll take another look.
@BeeMaa
I wonder how the Woodleigh 160grain RNSP would go. I think Woodleigh makes a 180 grain as well
Bob

@BeeMaa
I wonder how the Woodleigh 160grain RNSP would go. I think Woodleigh makes a 180 grain as well
Bob
Not sure about that.
I think this cartridge was fashioned for the long range crowd.
Looking for that high speed, low drag, long & heavy bullet for 1K yard shots.

Not saying it won't be good for hunting.
But I believe they are trying to get people interested in hunting by pulling them from the long range crowd.
And I do believe that more hunters is a good thing.
My question is how long...
How long until you see a 14# benchrest rifle?
Perfect for the mountain hunter. :rolleyes:

This caliber is about the numbers...BC, speed, distance...all on paper.
When it should be about the number of points on that Whitetail.

Time will tell.

There is near zero chance I will buy one, but I hope it takes off. I love seeing new stuff hit the market. If people are happy with what they have now, that is great, but I like variety and change.

those woodleigh bullets would go ok. the twist should handle them.
just because a cartridge is meant to shoot long, does not mean it can't shoot short.
in fact any cartridge should do both, as should any rifle design.
some of these modern so called long range hunting rifles are really target rifles, and would be almost impossible to use offhand, particularly when the obliglitory bipod is pushing the point of balance even further forward.
and bullets suited to long range terminal performance are often too soft to work close or vice versa.
how did those poor old dead guys ever get a deer with their pump action 35 rems?
bruce.

just because a cartridge is meant to shoot long, does not mean it can't shoot short.
some of these modern so called long range hunting rifles are really target rifles, and would be almost impossible to use offhand, particularly when the obliglitory bipod is pushing the point of balance even further forward.
and bullets suited to long range terminal performance are often too soft to work close or vice versa.
how did those poor old dead guys ever get a deer with their pump action 35 rems?
bruce.
Yep Bruce,
I have seen a few heavier rifles with bipods attached, used in areas that a slingshot’s trajectory would have been sufficient.

Sometimes, I just think to myself “wow” what guided that choice. Hell, I am sure more than one has done the same to me, when I say 375 or 416.

bruce.
@bruce moulds
The old cals like the 35 rem,30/30, 44/40and hog for bid the 45/70 of yore weren't as effective as the old timers made out. That's why the old guns had a lot of broken stocks. The old fellas had to get close enough to hit game on the head with the but because the cartridges were so ineffective.
Thank God for these new wizz bangs, no more broken stocks because you can now shoot game that far away they are called shoot today, kill tomorrow cartridges.
Man I just might have to get one so I can become a shooter not a hunter.
Enough of my crap I will just have to stick with old ineffective cartridges like the 30 ought six, 35 Whelen 9.3x62 and Bruce's old 9.3x64. Dang I might even get that old ineffective 270 Winchester but I don't know If'n it would have enough power for hunting.
Bob

@bruce moulds
The old cals like the 35 rem,30/30, 44/40and hog for bid the 45/70 of yore weren't as effective as the old timers made out. That's why the old guns had a lot of broken stocks. The old fellas had to get close enough to hit game on the head with the but because the cartridges were so ineffective.
Thank God for these new wizz bangs, no more broken stocks because you can now shoot game that far away they are called shoot today, kill tomorrow cartridges.
Enough of my crap I will just have to stick with old ineffective cartridges like the 30 ought six, 35 Whelen 9.3x62 and Bruce's old 9.3x64. Dang I might even get that old ineffective 270 Winchester but I don't know If'n it would have enough power for hunting.
Bob

Well at least you will have one decent proper calibre there with a 9.3x62.......

@bruce moulds
Bob
Bob,
A “broken stock” scale? I like it! 1-10 scale with ten being the worse? The scale is basically based on rumors and third party hearsay and innuendos throughout one’s hunting adventures/articles and rifle/ammo preferences/prejudices as far as harvesting game animals. No true facts or common sense required. Example: Perhaps a .35 Whelen is a 6? Six times more likely to have to run something down after shooting it and brake the stock over it’s head to kill it. Savage .250-3000 a 7 (unless using Hydros, then a 6) .338WM a 3? 6.5 CR and now 6.8 Western both a 1? 6.5x300 Weatherby a 2. It could have been a 1, but it’s actually an old cartridge from the ‘60s and thus isn’t effective anymore and Weatherby lied about it being new, so ....
Thanks Bob!
CEH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg