New Buffalo Bore loads

How would a 500gr .510 @2000-2100fps go for buff or elephant?
Too slow and too light. Either speed it up or use a heavier bullet.
 
Too slow and too light. Either speed it up or use a heavier bullet.
:rolleyes:

Noop …. Neither.

Back in its heyday, Jeffrey’s .404 with a 400grn/423-dia bullet at 2050-2100fps (original velocities) accounted for more dead elephants and other dead large DG than its faster contemporaries in the 400-class (e.g., 416 Rigby).

Shot-placement matters …. but more weight, and certainly more velocity, won’t kill an elephant any better. It’s unnecessary.
 
Cheers.

The SD is sub .3 (.275) vs the 400gr .404 jeffery with its .321.
I guess the answer would just be go monolithics that seem to punch through everything and almost make SD redundant. Eh it’s hypothetical anyway - I won’t be hunting africa
 
:rolleyes:

Noop …. Neither.

Back in its heyday, Jeffrey’s .404 with a 400grn/423-dia bullet at 2050-2100fps (original velocities) accounted for more dead elephants and other dead large DG than its faster contemporaries in the 400-class (e.g., 416 Rigby).

Shot-placement matters …. but more weight, and certainly more velocity, won’t kill an elephant any better. It’s unnecessary.
Yeah the Jeffery has crept up a fair bit now. Even the 375 H&H is above original proven to work ballistics. Would be great to test actual velocity vs listed velocity on these original loadings - they didn’t have chronographs in 191X (or did they?)
 
They used a pendulum prior to the chronograph coming of age , no?
 
:rolleyes:

Noop …. Neither.

Back in its heyday, Jeffrey’s .404 with a 400grn/423-dia bullet at 2050-2100fps (original velocities) accounted for more dead elephants and other dead large DG than its faster contemporaries in the 400-class (e.g., 416 Rigby).

Shot-placement matters …. but more weight, and certainly more velocity, won’t kill an elephant any better. It’s unnecessary.
My opinion was asked for and I gave it.

You have a different opinion, and that's fine. I am not so rude as to roll my eyes at you or insist that you are wrong.
 
Last edited:
Really cool .. nice 500
1708505254666.png
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,212
Members
169,961
Latest member
CassieDoor
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top