Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
My fav line of the movie after he shot the bad guy with a revolver, " I said I never had much use for one, didn't say I didn't know how to use one".

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
That movie is why I love single shots.

He actually killed three people in the final engagement O'Flynn, Marston, and Dobkin.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Yeah, he did, but he only talked to Marston. Couldn't remember his name, hence the "bad guy". LOL.
I have a similar rifle to his Shiloh, a C. Sharps '74 in .45-70. Had it for years, really accurate rifle. I went for a shorter barrel thinking I might take it hunting some day... well.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
@sestoppelman
I just don't see the need in inflicting undue pain on my old body now days.
If'n your into that sort of thing that's your right. Now I prefer to work from the neck up and not rely on brute strength.
I personally like to enjoy my shooting not get beat up and not enjoy it.
I hope you never experience a recoil retina like my mate did.
Bob

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
there was a lot of crock in quigley down under.
1) he fired repeat shots with great accuracy at long range without wiping the barrel.
with that cartridge he would not have been able to chamber round 2.
2) guys were falling before the sound of the shot reached them.
the bullets were subsonic long enough that the shot would have been heard before bullet strike.
3) the guy that loaded the ammo for him used english 450 bullets.
these were around 480ish gns, while the sharps bullets were around 550 gns.
point of impact would have been seriously affected even at closer ranges enough to clearly miss even large targets. it would have taken a lot of shooting to get new sight settings.
movie makers start new urban myths which become facts in peoples minds and are just plain wrong.
in doing such, they treat viewers with disrespect.
bruce.

Bruce, are you trying to tell me that what is depicted on T.V ,may not neccessarily be fact/true.
Shame on you.:unsure:

Ses, when you take that down the range don't forget to stick a plastic bucket at the 50yds mark. That way you can catch the bullets and re-shoot them :LOL:

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Bruce, are you trying to tell me that what is depicted on T.V ,may not neccessarily be fact/true.
Shame on you.:unsure:

Ses, when you take that down the range don't forget to stick a plastic bucket at the 50yds mark. That way you can catch the bullets and re-shoot them :LOL:
That should work! If they even make it that far! :A Banana:

bill73

AH member
Reaction score
RE-The recoil on curved butt plates,I have the same gun as well as two others in 45-90,my favorite is the 20" barrelled 45-90,I load these guns pretty up there,yes they can be shot with the right technique of placing the lower point of the butt plate in the arm pit & I have done so while hunting but now I just use a slip on pad that attaches with velcro on the sides & just shoot em like I would shoot flat buttstocked guns,easy peasy & no big deal deal on the recoil,at the range I prefer using a stand up rest versus sitting down.

Ravensview

Bronze supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Nice rifle, I have a 45/70 Shiloh sharps with the curved butt plate, love that rifle, just load up some full cases with black powder and use a 405 or 500 grain hard cast bullit it on top, nice Shooting, trajectory takes a little getting used to for longer shots, but it speaks with authority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nalmek

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J