New 1886 Winchester Miroku .45-70

My fav line of the movie after he shot the bad guy with a revolver, " I said I never had much use for one, didn't say I didn't know how to use one".

Yeah, he did, but he only talked to Marston. Couldn't remember his name, hence the "bad guy". LOL.
I have a similar rifle to his Shiloh, a C. Sharps '74 in .45-70. Had it for years, really accurate rifle. I went for a shorter barrel thinking I might take it hunting some day... well.

@sestoppelman
I just don't see the need in inflicting undue pain on my old body now days.
If'n your into that sort of thing that's your right. Now I prefer to work from the neck up and not rely on brute strength.
I personally like to enjoy my shooting not get beat up and not enjoy it.
I hope you never experience a recoil retina like my mate did.
Bob

there was a lot of crock in quigley down under.
1) he fired repeat shots with great accuracy at long range without wiping the barrel.
with that cartridge he would not have been able to chamber round 2.
2) guys were falling before the sound of the shot reached them.
the bullets were subsonic long enough that the shot would have been heard before bullet strike.
3) the guy that loaded the ammo for him used english 450 bullets.
these were around 480ish gns, while the sharps bullets were around 550 gns.
point of impact would have been seriously affected even at closer ranges enough to clearly miss even large targets. it would have taken a lot of shooting to get new sight settings.
movie makers start new urban myths which become facts in peoples minds and are just plain wrong.
in doing such, they treat viewers with disrespect.
bruce.

Bruce, are you trying to tell me that what is depicted on T.V ,may not neccessarily be fact/true.
Shame on you.:unsure:

Ses, when you take that down the range don't forget to stick a plastic bucket at the 50yds mark. That way you can catch the bullets and re-shoot them :LOL:

Bruce, are you trying to tell me that what is depicted on T.V ,may not neccessarily be fact/true.
Shame on you.:unsure:

Ses, when you take that down the range don't forget to stick a plastic bucket at the 50yds mark. That way you can catch the bullets and re-shoot them :LOL:
That should work! If they even make it that far! :A Banana:

RE-The recoil on curved butt plates,I have the same gun as well as two others in 45-90,my favorite is the 20" barrelled 45-90,I load these guns pretty up there,yes they can be shot with the right technique of placing the lower point of the butt plate in the arm pit & I have done so while hunting but now I just use a slip on pad that attaches with velcro on the sides & just shoot em like I would shoot flat buttstocked guns,easy peasy & no big deal deal on the recoil,at the range I prefer using a stand up rest versus sitting down.

Nice rifle, I have a 45/70 Shiloh sharps with the curved butt plate, love that rifle, just load up some full cases with black powder and use a 405 or 500 grain hard cast bullit it on top, nice Shooting, trajectory takes a little getting used to for longer shots, but it speaks with authority.

Old thread revival.... :)

I have a Browning 1886 I am bidding on right now.

Also found a couple of the DeLuxe 1886 in 45-90...if the Browning doesn't work out. Serial numbers 3 and 4. Just need a buddy who wants to split the pair with me. LOL

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/939994988

@sestoppelman Scott - you ever shoot this rifle?

Tim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.20 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.21 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.22 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.23 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
What on Earth wood did they pump out that stock with?? Stained birch? For God's sake, I'll give you the Black Walnut blank and a CNC contact to put a proper one on it!! lol Otherwise, cool. I just wonder what the African PHs and residents think about such banter on AfricaHunting.com. as that'll never see action on the Dark Continent! It's far from powerful, but cool American (Gov't.) history!

CW I believe that picture is likely a bit over-exposed.

CW I believe that picture is likely a bit over-exposed.
Not really. It was light colored as shown, though it was in fact walnut, just an odd color. and straight grained. I thought it attractive enough...but not enough to keep the rifle. LOL.
Sold it some time ago, unfired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg