Need jumping antelope ideas

ksuhawkeye

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
In the process of finalizing an upcoming pg safari and while I am working out those logistics my father is trying to figure out mount ideas and what animals to go after to accomplish them. Not sure who is having more fun :). Often times you will see full body deer mounts jumping over a barbed wire fence. He wants to recreate that african style possibly going over four foot bannister. Has anyone done something or seen something similar? Recommendations of animal to do it with. My first thought was Impala or springbok. Thanks for the help!

11378019_870234963060393_1910917878_n.jpg
impala-wallpaper-5.jpg

Nothing quite like a Springbok Pronking.
4df7628218e0f53e87509758214b583f.jpg

Dennis seems to like to leave things in the air!!!!

6029711_orig.jpg

Springbok pronking wouldn't work over an object but it is so unique.

HERE are a few Both can hang on the wall As shown and just like a shoulder mount free hanging, or on a pedestal as shown

Hearns__5-1.jpg

Impala_taxidermy_lifesize%201_zpsibvgsiul.jpg

Attachments

• Impala_taxidermy_lifesize 1_zpsibvgsiul.jpg
    Impala_taxidermy_lifesize 1_zpsibvgsiul.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Hearns__5-1.jpg
    Hearns__5-1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 428
Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis, what will the challenges be to recreate the pronk on the Springbok's back? Will it be possible? I know a few years ago, they were trying to recreate the puff of the Tahr with it's mane standing up, but back in 2011, no one had done it successfully.

Marius, I CAN do it if I can ever get a RAW unsalted, not dip packed skin. The salt and dip pack process tightens the fibers of the dermis that controls the roots of the hair and the possibility of doing well enough to pass it off as real. Realistically in the animal the hairs are in a very loose natural fibers that have incredible oily natural proteins in the skin, The muscles of the springboks back can manipulate that skin because of it's softness. No tan can even come close to the REAL softness of that dermis , it can only come close and that's not close enough to pull off the pronk off into real life. I CAN do it with a process from a raw skin that I can use ....But I can seem to shoot a springbok in Michigan, They are very hard to find here.....LOL

Amazing work Dennis. I think that first one is pretty close to what he had in mind. I will have to pass it on to him. Thanks for sharing.

Kudu and eland.. in the air!!

Kudu jumps farm road.jpg
Kudu jumps road.jpg
Kudu jumps fence.jpg
eland jumping.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you imagine having a space big enough to accommodate a Bull Eland full mount clearing an obstacle. o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg