Jeffrey Masters

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA, Mexico, Lower 48, Alaska
Thinking about a return to Africa in the spring of 2023. Last trip was with my brother, to SA, where we hunted with Kuche Safaris. Kuche was great in most ways, and I have considered going back to that location. My wife wants to go with me this time, and it may be the last opportunity for such a trip because of her job. Let me say right up front that she is not a hunter. She is very accepting of my love of hunting but has no desire to take part. Because of this a good part of the trip I want to dedicate to showing her why Africa is so amazing. My hunting wish list is pretty small for this trip, I am looking for a nice Kudu, Zebra, and whatever else presents itself. Can anyone relate to a trip like this, and have any experiences that might assist me in looking for a great outfitter that could provide good hunting for me with enough activities to keep my wife interested? She is a Nurse Practitioner, so hospitals, villages, clinics, and or schools would be high on her list. After hunting for 7 days or so, I would like to be able to show her some of Africa. Interesting cities, wildlife photo safaris, tribal culture would all be of great interest to her. I have talked in the past to Khomas Highland hunting safari, and I am talking now to Kowas safaris, both in Central Namibia. Both seem great, and have come highly recommended, I just want to explore all good options before deciding. I look forward to any and all help that you all might offer. Thanks all!

I am booked with Komas in May, I don't think you can go wrong with Kowas either. Both are very good operators. You can drive yourself crazy, so don't overthink it! Just go have fun

Khomas Highland Safaris and Philip Hennings will give you all you are interested and then some! My wife and I both had a great time there and can't wait to go back again. Dm me with any questions.

You’ll really enjoy Namibia, but make sure you add a gemsbok to your primary list.
It’s been almost 20 years since I hunted there but Jan oelofse safari’s may fit everything you are looking for for your wife. They still have an excellent reputation and I read their newsletters. They have a school for staff children on property. Dinosaur tracks. Lion viewing, rhinos and elephants on property (80,000 acres if I remember correctly). They may well have a clinic by now. They run a tourism business (separate lodge) if she didn’t want to ride with you that day. Extremely nice lodge as well.
More recently I’ve hunted Jamy Traut Safaris and had great hunts. I’m sure they could keep your wife entertained as well.
There are a lot of good options in Namibia to choose. I don’t think you can go wrong for a first hunt there.

Last edited:
Namibia is a great option. I hunted there in 2022. I had a chance to chase elephants around, spend a little time in Windhoek. There are also some great tourism options as well.

Another thought for you might be the Kalahari and Northern Cape hunting, spend some time in Wine Country, maybe head to Cape Town after, or to the coast as well. If you talk to your PH or Outfitter they might even have a local clinic or village they can bring your wife to where she can assist or see some kids. See if your PH donates meat, if so ask how/where and see if you and your wife can accompany one day. I know some donate to schools or orphanages. A smaller operation is likely able to accommodate more requests and touristy stuff for your wife. You might find they can hunt you a few days, travel/sightsee, then hunt you a few days in another part of the country before y’all sightsee/tour there.

I used to run overland Safaris down through Namibia from 2000 through to 2003. So I’ve been through most of the country, the roads are generally in good condition apart from just after the rains. But you can do a self drive. 80% of the roads are unsealed but so long as you keep your speed down you will be fine. PM me and I can make up an itinerary for you.
Etosha is worth a visit had north of Opou is worth it you could then come back down the skeleton coast with a stop at Swakopmund before back to the cap for your flight out. That would cover most of what is on your wife’s wish list. For more sand dunes head south of Swakopmund to Dune 45 and Luderitz is also worth the trip If you have time you can end at fish river before heading back up to the cap. 10 days would be a good number.

Hallo there, we are a hunting outfitter in Namibia. We are close to Etosha National Park and a Himba orphanage village. Lots to do and see in this area where we are based.
Please contact me on info@leopardlegend.com. (website currently under construction)

Regards,
Lwyk

Oh if you do go for self drive in Nam get a good D road map. For Etosha my favourite camp was Halali it’s away from the main gate camps and has good showers. A cool flood lite water hole where you can sit on the Koppie watch the sunset and then the animals come in after dark.
I see they have done the place up since I was there. But I’m sure it’s still a great experienice.

Hello Jeffrey

We can assist you with your and your wife needs. We are situated near Outjo.

We are close to the following tourist attractions: Etosha National Park, Ugab Rock Finger, Franke Haus Museum, Brandberg White lady and many more.

We do also custom trips to the coastal areas.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Thinking about a return to Africa in the spring of 2023. Last trip was with my brother, to SA, where we hunted with Kuche Safaris. Kuche was great in most ways, and I have considered going back to that location. My wife wants to go with me this time, and it may be the last opportunity for such a trip because of her job. Let me say right up front that she is not a hunter. She is very accepting of my love of hunting but has no desire to take part. Because of this a good part of the trip I want to dedicate to showing her why Africa is so amazing. My hunting wish list is pretty small for this trip, I am looking for a nice Kudu, Zebra, and whatever else presents itself. Can anyone relate to a trip like this, and have any experiences that might assist me in looking for a great outfitter that could provide good hunting for me with enough activities to keep my wife interested? She is a Nurse Practitioner, so hospitals, villages, clinics, and or schools would be high on her list. After hunting for 7 days or so, I would like to be able to show her some of Africa. Interesting cities, wildlife photo safaris, tribal culture would all be of great interest to her. I have talked in the past to Khomas Highland hunting safari, and I am talking now to Kowas safaris, both in Central Namibia. Both seem great, and have come highly recommended, I just want to explore all good options before deciding. I look forward to any and all help that you all might offer. Thanks all!
Definitely Namibia for your second safari. You can hunt a good Kudu, Mountain Zebra, etc. It is always tricky giving advice to someone in your situation with the wife who doesn't hunt. Will she enjoy the hunt including long stalks and harsh conditions that can be possible anywhere? If she doesn't hunt but is a good sport then by all means plan to take her. If she plans to stay at the lodge all day then maybe rethink it.
There are certainly all kinds of things to do in Namibia after the safari. They are far apart however. Consider a charter plane for some touring.
Regards,
Philip

Hello Jeffrey

We can assist you with your and your wife needs. We are situated near Outjo.

We are close to the following tourist attractions: Etosha National Park, Ugab Rock Finger, Franke Haus Museum, Brandberg White lady and many more.

We do also custom trips to the coastal areas.

Please contact me if you are interested.
Wow can’t get better than that offer!

You are going to love Namibia! Have fun planning and enjoy the trip.

You’ll really enjoy Namibia, but make sure you add a gemsbok to your primary list.
It’s been almost 20 years since I hunted there but Jan oelofse safari’s may fit everything you are looking for for your wife. They still have an excellent reputation and I read their newsletters. They have a school for staff children on property. Dinosaur tracks. Lion viewing, rhinos and elephants on property (80,000 acres if I remember correctly). They may well have a clinic by now. They run a tourism business (separate lodge) if she didn’t want to ride with you that day. Extremely nice lodge as well.
More recently I’ve hunted Jamy Traut Safaris and had great hunts. I’m sure they could keep your wife entertained as well.
There are a lot of good options in Namibia to choose. I don’t think you can go wrong for a first hunt there.
I heartily second the recommendation of Jan Oelofse Hunting Safaris in Namibia. Jan was an absolute legend in Africa and an icon in Namibia. He was the guy who managed all the animals, including doing the stunts, for John Wayne's iconic movie in Africa, Hatari. Your wife would have a wonderful time there as well as described by 375Fox above. Jan passed away about 8 or so years ago but his lovely wife, Annette, and son have kept everything running smoothly.

The senior PH is Steve Tors. He was our PH on my hunts there and started with Jan in 1975. He never talked about it but Steve is a fascinating guy. I didn't realize it until recently but he is the son of Ivan Tors who produced such iconic TV shows like Gentle Ben, Flipper, and Daktari and grew up in Hollywood. I've linked an article below written by Steve that talks about one of his more hair raising adventures

Attachments

• a_close_shave_with_death-steve-asm3-c-7new.pdf
    437.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I heartily second the recommendation of Jan Oelofse Hunting Safaris in Namibia. Jan was an absolute legend in Africa and an icon in Namibia. He was the guy who managed all the animals, including doing the stunts, for John Wayne's iconic movie in Africa, Hatari. Your wife would have a wonderful time there as well as described by 375Fox above. Jan passed away about 8 or so years ago but his lovely wife and son have kept everything running smoothly.

The senior PH is Steve Tors. He was our PH on my hunts there and started with Jan in 1975. He never talked about it but Steve is a fascinating guy. I didn't realize it until recently but he I the son of Ivan Tors who produced such iconic TV shows like Gentle Ben, Flipper, and Daktari and grew up in Hollywood. I've linked an article below written by Steve that talks about one of his more hair raising adventures
Wow! Hell of a good story there!

You'll love Namibia. If you like it quiet and quaint with good hunting, Dirk de Bode of Safaris Namibia is a good choice. 1 1/2 hr from the airport, with a small lodge - 6 in camp at the max. Dirk pays attention to the details and is good at arranging side trips - either to the coast, or Erindi Game Reserve - a must see. Most likely he is booked through '23, but may have availability in following years.

Last edited:
I will say what others have said. Namibia is an awesome safari destination, species, topography and people are different but great, it seamed a little more "hunting" was involved and many more super large wild areas without released game, I may be biased as we did get a big leopard also. I will not recommend any outfit as you decide the specifics but there are many good outfitters who are sponsors on here.

I am not sure of your budget or how adventurous you are but a suggestion, maybe fly into Joberg early, rent a car and drive to Kruger for a few days, then return car and fly to Namibia enjoy your hunt (remember the specific species, dik dik, gemsbuck, kudu and mnt zebra) then after hunt spend a few days in Etosha Park (a MUST do when there) then do some of the other suggestions that have already been made for Namibia. Himba village, petroglyphs, penguins, beaches, sand dunes.

I rented a car and self drove in both countries on separate safaris with my 2 non hunting sisters, life time memories made, we all agreed that Namibia was more fun, wilder, game every where, not just fenced in and more what we liked. I like to self drive, Namibia is a perfect safe and easy Country to do just that, or if you prefer most outfitters can organise for you.

Good Luck, I envy you.

MB

I am planning a return to Namibia to hunt again with Pieter Delport of Eintracht Jagd Safaris.

I had the time of my life there. Pieter is a serious hunter, and was able to put me in position to get some fantastic trophies on a plains game hunt of a lifetime!

Namibia is a beautiful, diverse country . You will love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross