NAMIBIA: Hunting With Khomas Highlands Safaris Namibia

Jimmy Salsman

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Found an amazing Outfitter in Namibia, Khomas Highlands Safaris. Me and my hunting buddy had been planning a trip to Namibia for several years but Due to work could not make the trip. After he retired we finally had time, had been talking to several outfitters over the time we were considering trip. Khomas Hiighlands had caught my eye from the beginning, and after speaking with Philip we decided that where we were going. We were met at the airport , gear loaded into the vehicle and were off to the farm. Lodge was very nice and very comfortable , King size sleigh bed with black marble tile bath and shower. Bed linen changed daily and when you came in at noon what you wore the day before was cleaned , pressed and folded on you bed. First morning I met my PH and we sighted in the rifles. PH ask what I was interested in hunting I told him I wanted a Kudu top of list. We drove about 1/2 mile and there was a true trophy springbok he ask if I was interested I declined, not sure why now. We drove about 45 min. and Denzel tapped the top of the truck , we stopped Errin said he see's a Kudu on the side of the hill. He got out glassed and told me to get out of the truck be quite and do not close the door. I walked around the truck ,he had the stick set up I put my gun on the sticks he told me the range I waited for the Kudu to turn broadside , and I had a 52" Kudu. We walked to him ,took photos, and he said let me go get the truck up here to load him. I sat he drove up ,ask if I would like a cold bottle of water while they loaded him. Got back to the lodge unloaded to the skinners and got cleaned up for lunch. The food was some of the best I have ever had in my life, The cook is a truly amazing Chef one of the best I have ever met. Everyone in the group put on 10lbs. each in a week. and we all checked. First afternoon Errin ask what this afternoon, I said Gemsbok. We drove out after about 45min. Denzel tapped the top of the truck ,Gemsbok. We drove by it walked back and I took about a fifty yd. shot. I had a record book Gemsbok 85". Second morning what this morning, I said Impala, we walked from the lodge and after about a mile walk I had a very nice trophy Impala. That afternoon I decided to ride with my buddy who was looking for his Kudu . After an hour ride in some amazing country taking photos of a variety of animals the driver stopped . My friend had a Kudu that make SCI record book. I ended up with a Kudu , 2 Gemsbok that both made SCI record book 85"and 96" and one made Rolland Ward record book at 41 3/8". -- a gold medal Impala-- and a trophy Springbok. My friend got Kudu that made SCI record book , a Steenbok that made SCI record book, trophy Red Hartebeast, trophy Blu Wildebeast, trophy Springbok, Beautiful Zebra, and a Black backed Jackel. The other two members of our party a Father and Son hunted together, both shot trophy Kudu ,all Kudu were over 50". they both shot 2 Gemsbok, one blue wildebeast ,one red hartebeast, two zebra, ,one Springbok, and a Babboon. A gentleman from Australia had his son were there hunting and he took 9 animals that week. The amount of animals was amazing, all day it was there is a nice animal if your interested. It was such a welcoming experience everyone their was glad you were their and they showed it. You sometimes leave a hunt feeling like you were hunting with friends, I left this hunt knowing I was hunting with friends. I keep in touch with the people on the farm and the hunters from Australia, we share hunting stories and photos. My youngest Son Manages a High fenced game ranch in the panhandle of TX. He manages the game on the ranch . We think we know about Game Management here in the statest the extent of the managment they do there to keep the herds healthy is truly amazing. We had planned another trip in 2020 but the covid stopped it. We have already scheduled a trip in 2021 and are hoping everything works out. They also have Horseback tours, Photo safaris, and Fishing on the coast. I am taking My wife this year, and hope to make other trips with them until I fill my want list. I do not work with them I am just a hunter who found an amazing place for hunters and wanted to share it.

gem.JPG
gem1.JPG
imp.JPG
kudu.JPG

Nice trophies for sure, congrats!

What a first post! Super trip.

How big was the area you hunted on?

I had the opposite experience at khomas highlands, but my issue wasn’t with the animals. you can’t argue with that gemsbok. What a smoker! Well done!

My wife and I did a cull hunt with Khomas in 2019....Great time,,we took a total of 15 and had a great time....His guides were amazing and food was great....Lots of game along with 2 giraffe,,man they are big!! Hope to go back after I recover from a stroke...My wife saw a leopard one day crossing rocks....

What a first post! Super trip.

How big was the area you hunted on?
The total area we had to hunt was over 400,000 hectors we did not need near that much . They work with the neighboring farms and can hunt on each other with a simple phone call. My Springbok was on neighbors place, guide called owner to make sure they were not in the area, he gave the go ahead it was on. I had the opportunity to take several trophy Kudu , saw numerous Gemsbok, blue wildebeast, black wildebeast, Duiker, steenbok, hundreds of springbok and warthogs, hundreds of zebra. They do hunts for all African game. Have a hunting buddy that has developed Parkinsons and could not take a physical hunt. Africa was his bucket list. We are planning to go back 2021 and he ask about going. I spoke to Philip and ask if he could accommodate him. He stated they would accommodate any hunters needs and was pleased at the opportunity . good population of Leopards, we found a zebra oone had killed ,well half a zebra , came by the next day and he had drug it up a tree. Leopard tracks everywhere, they took this one the week after we left.

leo.JPG
leo1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a grand time! Congratulations on the excellent trophies!

There were 4 members in our party Me ,Dick Fisher, Stacy and his Son Shawn. After the hunt we received a invitation to join Africa Hunting. I joined and Dick joined , we posted about our hunts with the photos. Stacy called and ask about it and decided to decline. He did say we could show photos of his and Shawns hunt. He also said they did not know how the hunt could have been any better. You can see the smiles on there faces . A photos worth a thousand words--There were also a Man and His Son -Patrick and Ben from Australia there in camp. Patrick was not hunting he was observing Ben. Ben took 9 trophies. We are not experts we can only relay what we experienced. I believe if something in a post peeks your interest you should do your own research. I actually researched for 5 years before we had the opportunity to go. I don't think its a good idea to plan your hunting trips due to post from someone you do not know. Best of Luck

nam1.jpg
nam2.jpg
nam3.jpg
nam4.jpg
namibia 7.jpg
namibia.jpg
namibia1.jpg
namibia2.jpg
namibia3.jpg
namibia4.jpg
namibia5.jpg
namibia6.jpg
namibia8.jpg
namibia9.jpg
jim.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
They were gathering meat to donate to a local school and allowed Shawn to shoot a Cull Blue wildebeast at No charge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!