Namibia Hunting Update

M McDindi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I know there are a good number of Namibian Outfitters/PH's on the site but haven't seen any threads about the current lockdown status. So, I thought I'd start one here.

Earlier today, the President of Namibia released the attached announcement for his plan for reopening Namibia. I've extracted the most important section here, but you can read the full statement in the attachment. While he gives a target end date of 30 Jun for INTERNAL controls, he does NOT indicated opening the country to international travelers on that date.

"The State of Emergency declared on 17 March 2020 will remain in force for a period of 6 months and may be extended, subject to the changing country situation. In conformity with global guidelines on the national response to COVID-19, Namibia has adopted 4 stages of restrictions.

STAGE 1 is the current situation of a countrywide lockdown for a period of 38
days, from 28 March until midnight, 04 May 2020.

STAGE 2 will be a gradual re-opening under Strict Precautions, from Tuesday 05
May 2020 to 2nd June 2020.

STAGE 3 will see more Moderate Precautions and could come into effect from the
2nd of June 2020 to 30 June 2020.

The final STAGE 4 from 30 June 2020 will introduce a New Normal and could last
until the end of the State of Emergency.

Each Stage of restriction will have an average observance period of two incubation periods, which is 28 days. With the end of STAGE 1 at midnight on the 04th of May 2020.

I wish to announce that STAGE 2 will come into force for 28 days from 05 May 2020 to 01June 2020. During STAGE 2 the following measures will apply to all Namibians:

1. All members of the public are required to wear facemasks in public spaces. Government will assist vulnerable persons to acquire masks.

2. People will be permitted to travel domestically between regions and within towns and cities, without restriction.

3. Our borders will remain closed for non-Namibians but returning Namibians will be permitted to re-enter the country, subject to screening at points of entry and supervised quarantine for 14 days.

4. Businesses and productive activities, unless prohibited will be permitted to reopen, subject to responsible personal and organizational conduct and in compliance with the prescribed Health & Hygiene Guidelines.

5. In addition to fulfilling the established protocols, the following businesses will be allowed to resume, subject to specified conditions:
o Shopping Malls and Retail Outlets.
o Restaurants to continue operating on a take-away basis asbefore. Buying and selling of alcohol is prohibited.
o Kapana traders may only operate for takeaway and private consumption.
o Beauty, Hair Dressers & Barbers subject to proper personal protective equipment.
o Laundromats and Tailors: subject to proper personal protective equipment.

6. The following activities are deemed to be high-risk under the circumstances and will not be permitted to resume activity during STAGE 2. These are:
a. Theatres and cinemas;
b. Gyms and exercise centres;
c. Contact sports and sporting events;
d. Gambling houses and nightclubs;
e. Liquor outlets, Bars and Shebeens;
f. Entertainment events and concerts;
g. Seminars, Conferences, Workshops and Summits.

7. The buying and selling of alcohol remains prohibited throughout the country.

8. The progression from one Stage to another will be informed by developments on the cases and the details of Stages may change. As such, before we move into a subsequent Stage, review will be undertaken to enable Government to agree on what activities will be allowed.

9. The Stage 3 and Stage 4 in terms of timelines are indicative and intended to assist with business planning. The actual duration of each stage may be reduced or extended, subject to monitoring reports and the changing situation in the country. The tentative ctivities for Stages 3 and 4 are available in a document."

Attachments

• Statement of HE President Geingob - Covid Update - 30 April 2020.pdf
    104.7 KB · Views: 126
Namibia Color Coded Covid Stages.jpeg

Just got this a few minutes ago.

Please don't shoot the messenger!!;)
Kind of in the same boat. We were planned/scheduled to depart for Bots on Jun 12th. Tickets purchased and all that. CNX'd it all this week. Qatar Air was very gracious about refunding the tickets in full. Still have an Aug Bots trip planned with fingers and toes crossed.

I would hope with the number of Namibian operators in the country and on the ground and on the board would be offering up current info as well.

Air Namibia has been on very shaky ground for a couple of years and this may be the final nail in their coffin.

It will be interesting to see what airlines survive all this. Looks like SAA and either SAA Express or SAA Air link are tits up.

Even if the boarders open, the question might how to get there.

Last edited:
Please don't shoot the messenger!!;)
It will be interesting to see what airlines survive all this. Looks like SAA and either SAA Express or SAA Air link are tits up.

Even if the boarders open, the question might how to get there.

I’ve flown with Ethiopian Airlines the last three trips. I’ve found them perfectly acceptable and firearms friendly within your baggage limits.

Last year (Aug 19) we flew Delta/KLM and would do that again. Just after Air Namibia started offering Frankfurt to Windhoek, we did that twice and then Frankfurt started requiring a transit permit for firearms. We stopped that route. Frankfurt dropped the transit permit after a couple of years. German Fed Govt told the Frankfurt City Govt didn't have jurisdiction. After that, we've we've flown Lufthansa a couple of times.

We've looked at Brit Air but we'd have to change airports in London and that is pretty much a no-go with firearms.

Heard a lot of good reports on Qatar Air and decided to try them for this years trip to Botswana. Our Aug20 trip to Bots will be, hopefully on Delta to J'berg and Air Botswana in.

I’m supposed to be there July 15. I hope it happens

Why no buying or selling of alcohol? It’s the only way we’ve been able to make it through it over here

My departure date is August 15 to Namibia for Mr Spots but pretty sure I won’t be able to make it because of work (I’ve not been able to do much the past several weeks and will need to do some catching up). Not sure if international travel will be allowed by then anyway- flying Qatar. Glad to hear they are refunding in full in post above. Likely will be 2021 for Chui.

One of the reports received yesterday is that all international flights and travel and tourism will resume on the 30th of June.
So there is hope.

Nice little promo video the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism put together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zana Botes - that is great info. There are a few others that have heard similar. Anyone have any kind of hard press release or such. I'm seriously hopeful this is true. Not for myself but for those who have later season booking for hunts and travel and of course EVERYONE in Namibia from the shop keepers, to the B&B's, restaurants and of course everyone connected to the hunting and tourism industry there. Hunting/Tourism is in the top 3 or 4 of it's entire economy.

Well, there is a little bit of good news in the right direction. Namibian newspaper Air Namibia's GM for Commercial Services had announced Air Namibia will resume INTERNAL domestic flights starting 6 May.

Well, there is a little bit of good news in the right direction. Namibian newspaper Air Namibia's GM for Commercial Services had announced Air Namibia will resume INTERNAL domestic flights starting 6 May.
Yes internal flights are starting again which should have been closed for a much longer time. Some good starting to happen slowly

The "Moonshiners" TV show is being rebroadcast on the National Educational channel.:A Stirring::D Drunk:

Any updates from someone in the know? I just got an email from my travel agent saying my flight in July was canceled by Qatar Airlines.
Interested to see if it’s Namibia that’s closed the border or what. So disappointed ☹️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.