NAMIBIA: Heading To Namibia 6 Aug 2021 With Ekuja Hunting Safaris

Good luck. You'll have a great time hunting with Drikus.

Well figured I would start this hunt report before we head out. Those who have read some of my reports in the past know that one of my life's pleasures is surprising my wife. After our 2018 safari and keeping the second safari a secret for over a year, she made me promise her to not surprise her again while she was still working. I kept my promise, however I interpreted that in my favor. Fast forward a couple years and she is retiring the last day of July 2021. So at DSC right before the COVID mess occurred I set up a safari to Namibia with Ekuja Safaris. We have both been wanting to go to Namibia for a safari, visit to skeleton coast and Estosha National park. And yes I kept that a secret till we were under a year, at which point Drikus sent my wife a WhatsApp text and said "Dave is very good at planning the hunting part but kinda is weak on the after hunt adventures" so I need your help:E Rofl: As you can guess my wonderful wife comes out to the shop with this stink-eyed look on her face and asked me "WHAT IS THIS ABOUT?) So I calmly explain that my retirement gift to her is a safari to Namibia. She adds I thought you promised not to surprise me. Where I calmly stated that we were flying on 6 Aug and would she or would she not be "Retire and no longer working" As usual I get the "That's not what I meant" followed buy the comment "You are such a guy" As she became accustom to the idea and started looking at the guidebook all was good. Only one last little hiccup, about a month later she had a puzzled look on her face and said I didn't let you out of my sight at DSC when did you set it up. So a little Whatsapp before we went and I signed the contract while you went to the bathroom at dinner, followed by passing Drikus the deposit under the table while you were enjoying desert.:A Stirring:

We we now have everything coordinated and coordinated with all parties, so we leave on Friday. She is looking forward to hunting some plains game and just relaxing. She will be shooting her M70 7mm REM MAG. I will be taking a super accurate Ruger #1 in 9.3x74. I am sure we will be super busy and I might be able to post a few things while there but I expect to do the bulk of the trip report when we get home. For me the outfitter started pree baiting about a week ago and this walked into the trail cam a couple days ago. So I am really looking forward to this adventure.

View attachment 416827
Best wishes my friend for a most successful hunt. I’m pulling for you!

Best of luck!

I’m excited just to have the opportunity to read another Namibia hunt report! You two go get ‘em! We will be cheering back home!

Dave, I hope you are Up, Up, and away. Looking forward to the hunting report and photos.

Safe travels @AZDAVE for you and your wife! Looking forward to hearing the stories!

Good luck Dave. It was nice meeting you.
I hope you where able to make it ok. Cant wait for the report and I hope you get your cat.

Thank you to all for the good wishes. We arrived safely with only a few visits from Mr Murphy trying to interfere with travel but was easily thwarted. I have a few minutes in a super busy trip to provide any updates and will provide a full report when we get back. So the quick update (without pictures as I forgot the correct cable to get from camera to tablet). Is that as of end of day 3 we donned to shoot any more bait and have recovered all the game cameras and equipment back to farm headquarters. And we are now working on my wife's list. The gods. Of the hunt have smiled on us big time and Drikus is 100% on cats for 2021.

Awesome! Cant wait for pics and full story!

The gods. Of the hunt have smiled on us big time and Drikus is 100% on cats for 2021.
How exciting! Man I’m looking forward to this report!

Dave we all are excited to see your report and lots of pictures. Safe travels when you head home!

Best of luck, can’t wait to read your reports!!

Keep it coming and congrats on Mr spots.

Oooh, getting wound up now. Keep it coming.

And the tension builds! Exciting!

Well we’re waiting… :D Beer Bottle:

Good morning all and thank you for the well wishes. We had an amazing trip and returned home late night before last, so the jet lag is still firmly in charge. This will end up being a hunt report done over several days. We had very good flights and arrived in joberg with no problems. Our bags were checked through to joberg and we got a call from the Qatar desk in Dallas asking us to come out to the service desk to complete a couple forms for the rifles that american couldn't do. Was quick and easy (Gracy travel had done all the leg work and Qatar knew we were flying with firearms and this is the place where I can't emphasis enough using a travel agent that knows the ropes is priceless) The flight to Doha was full and Qatar provided their normal great service. Had a couple hours in DOHA before our next flight, bathroom break, lunch and a few more pages in my book read. Met up with @Uintaelkhunter and got to talk about our upcoming safaris. (I am looking forward to reading his hunt report) The flight to joberg was less than a 1/3 full so everyone got row to themselves. was able to stretch out and get a solid 5 hours of sleep.
We were able to meet up with Maruis @KMG Hunting Safaris as he was picking up @Uintaelkhunter for their safari. My wife was happy to meet him in person, (We are hunting with him in 2022)

All checked in and waiting on our last flight. A Ekuja rep met us at the airport, got the paperwork for firearms done, and a hour and a half drive to the farm. We were able to get a nice hot shower and a short nap before dinner. Almost sat on a bait todayt but the winds were high and in the wrong direction. At dinner plans were made for the following day.

This is where I also mention that Ekuja's chef is a classically l trained chef that has worked all over southern africa, he is half Argentinean and South African that is an amazing cook with a wicked sense of humor and kept us all laughing the complete time were there.

Day one, we started with a nice breakfast and went out to check the rifles. A couple small adjustment to the scopes after they went through the rigors of the airline baggage handlers. Drikus had started pre-baiting 2 weeks before we arrived. There were a total of 10 baits out with the closest was a half hour away and the farthest was hour and a half. Off we go to start checking the baits and cameras. They have one nice cat on bait for the last week that hits every 2nd day. We make it through all the baits and the big tom had hit the bait the night before and ate most all of it so that bait was renewed.

We decided that since the winds were also not right for the blind setup and since he usually hit the bait every 2 days that we wouldn't sit today. Finished checking game cameras on the rest of the baits, no mr spots on any, but a few with brown hyenas and honey badgers were trying hard to get at the baits.

IMG_3835.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross