Namibia and a 30-06....Which bullet?

Not only that its a very accurate round too. Did you know that Ben Comfort won the 1000 yd, Wimbledon Cup about 100 years ago with one? No really, he did...:rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Not only that its a very accurate round too. Did you know that Ben Comfort won the 1000 yd, Wimbledon Cup about 100 years ago with one? No really, he did...:rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Wow, were you there to see it? :A Banana::A Outta:

I took my 30-06 to Namibia this year and hunted Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest and Wildebeest.
I used 165gr Hornady SSTs and found them perfectly capable of one shot kills.
This is a shot through the chest of a Gemsbok at about 150m.
DSC_0192.jpeg
DSC_0191.jpeg

Took my '06 to RSA this year and got 14 animals with Kudu, Gemsbuck and Zebra on the top end all the way down to Duiker on the small side. I used 150 grain Barnes ttsx and it did the job, when I did my job:whistle:. I was concerned about the zebra but it broke both shoulders and put him down no problem. Use any good quality bullet in the 150-180 grain range and you will be perfectly fine!! Spending more time shooting off of sticks and less time deciding what bullet to use and you will be doing good.

165 NAB or Norma 165 Oryx proven killer on PG!!!

What Jon said... Just because it's Namibia and plainsgame doesn't mean long shots.

Cheers,
Mark.

I just got back from Namibia. 61 wildebeest and gemsbok. The best performers were 180 grain Sciroccos, 180 grain A-frames, 200 grain Partitions and 200 grain Norma Oryx. The Scirocco was deemed the best performer in terms of penetration and traumatic shock. We shot 5 animals with each of 8 bullets, logged their performance and then finished up with the best performers. Others used were the 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunter, 180 grain Speer Hot Cor, 168 grain Barnes TTSX and 240 grain Woodleigh Weldcore. All of the bullets killed the animals cleanly and quickly. We did not lose any due to bullet performance.​

I used my 30-06 in Namibia with 180g trophy bonded rounds. Took wildebeest (black and blue), waterbuck, mountain and Burchalls zebra, warthog, blesbock, and red hartebeest at ranges between 60-270m. Very adequate round.

Pheroze, with all of the neat toys you have why are you taking an '06? Your 35 Whelen with 225 Gr TSX at 2800 fps would be my first choice. Your 308 Norma Mag with 200 Gr. premium bullets would be my second. If you insist on taking the '06 your 180 Gr. Woodleigh load or old fashioned Nosler Partitions will do everything you want to do.

Pheroze, with all of the neat toys you have why are you taking an '06? Your 35 Whelen with 225 Gr TSX at 2800 fps would be my first choice. Your 308 Norma Mag with 200 Gr. premium bullets would be my second. If you insist on taking the '06 your 180 Gr. Woodleigh load or old fashioned Nosler Partitions will do everything you want to do.

Sadly no Whelen yet....but, my plan is to take the 308 NM (when it's built and I am comfortable with it I will make that final call). Son#1 will have the '06 and son#2 is thinking the 6.5x55

Woodleigh is my bullet of choice.

Now, the 200gr vs 180 gr for the 308 NM....:unsure::)

I used a 180gn nosler accubond in my 06 last year, warthog to eland ranges from 70 to 250 yards in south Africa. 2 recovered projectiles weighed 110 and 115 gn these were from my eland (110) and leche (115) the damage to the internals of all my animals was incredible and the trajectory of the 180gn projectiles, once know was predictable and consistent. I'd certainly recommend the accubonds or a proven 180 bonded bullet.

I can vouch for perfect performance of the 168g TTSX on animals from springbok to eland, 13 in total between me and my wife. Same performance on animals up to and including blue wildebeest and zebra with the 85 grain .243 TSX used by my son. By perfect performance I mean pass through or found fully expanded under the off-side skin on broadside shots.

Not that I am proud of it, but I can also say the the TTSX exhibits greater than 90% weight retention when fired into reinforced concrete at 2 yards. Penetration not great, perhaps 2 1/2 inches. I think an AP projectile fired at greater range would be the more appropriate choice if you were actually intending to shoot a concrete wall.

Oooh Just noticed the BC on the 180 gr partition is .474. I am wondering if it's relatively soft front portion would make it better for the springbok than the bonded or monometals? While still being good for the heftier Zebra?

I would agree with you. The 180s will do well on all of the above. The ballistic coefficient will ensure good trajectory for long shots.
I like to use 180 s on my 300 Winchester magnum.

The goal is to hunt Namibia in 2018 so it's time to start planning! I am going to take my '06 this time. The largest animals will be Zebra and Gemsbok and the smallest will be Springbok. I love Woodleighs and have a nice 180 gr load @ 2730. However, I am thinking of trying the 150 gr GS Customs with an anticipated speed of just under 3000 fps in my 22" barrel. Problem is I keep hesitating to develop this load....Would you folks forgo the Woodleigh for the GS Customs for the distances and game we can expect in Namibia (assuming acceptable accuracy)?

Suggest you go for the 180 grain bullet for the b c and sectional density both of which will aid in deeper penetration. African animals aren't made of steel but have their hearts tucked up further forward and I suggest a deep penetrating bullet rather than a more frangible higher speed bullet that may, stress may not penetrate deep enough to take out vital organs. The hydrostatic shock from lighter faster bullets may be more effective on smaller game however.

Just returned from a management hunt in Namibia.....40 animals ......zebra, hsrtebeast, oryx, wildebast....all with a 30 06....180 accubond and 168 ttsx. one shot and down...85per cent were pass thru...250 to 350 yds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg