khomas-highland-hunting.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Asia/M.East
NACSO backs govt on trophy hunting
Submitted by Namibian Sun on Wed, 2016-03-09

The Namibian Association of Community Based Natural Resource Management (CBNRM) Support Organisations (NACSO) says it fully supports government’s decision to oppose any call to ban or restrict hunting or the exporting of wildlife products from Namibia.

12799374_1213351935359642_1785781051678278390_n.jpg

The Cabinet has directed the Ministry of Environment and Tourism to actively campaign against any attempt to ban or restrict hunting and the export of wildlife products from Namibia.
According to a press release issued by NACSO, Cabinet took note of a code of conduct for conservation hunting that is being developed and supported the efforts of the ministry to develop and intensify measures aimed at stopping wildlife crime.
NACSO and its members, which include Integrated Rural Development and Nature Conservation (IRDNC), the Namibia Nature Foundation (NNF) and the Namibia Development Trust (NDT), work together with communal conservancies to promote the development of rural communities based upon the principles of sustainable wildlife utilisation.
These include the conservation of wildlife for photographic tourism as well as conservation hunting of selected animals.
Through its Natural Resources Working Group, NACSO notes that without hunting, conservation would be closed in many communal conservancies which do not have tourism potential and which depend for their income, on the hunting of selected animals for trophies.
According to NACSO, conservancy income is used to pay game guards who conduct anti-poaching patrols and to provide benefits to conservancy members, thus uplifting living standards in poorer rural communities.
In supporting the Cabinet decision, NACSO notes that animals are selected for hunting based upon quotas set by the ministry, which are agreed upon following extensive annual game counts, and that wildlife numbers have increased in Namibia as a result of community-based conservation.
A ban on the importation of trophies to the USA and European Union countries would result in a radical decline of hunters visiting Namibia, with a comparable decline in income to conservancies and their members, which in turn is likely to lead to an increase in wildlife crime.
NACSO therefore fully supports the sustainable use of wildlife under legally enforced and controlled conditions, and wishes to bring to the attention of the international community that most conservancy committees with which it works, as well as ordinary conservancy members, are strongly against any ban on conservation hunting.
STAFF REPORTER

Namibian Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross