My venture into the World of double rifles 470 NE and 9.3x74R

ActionBob

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Texas Hill Country, Central Minnesota, SW Kansas.
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Australia, Tanzania, Iceland
I never really thought I would get a nice double rifle. After all, they are best for a stopping gun, to be carried by the PH on a truly Dangerous Game hunt. However on my last trip to Amarillo TX, I stopped in to look at the newest Italian offerings and ended up getting a nicely engraved Sabatti 9.3x74R. Thought it would be fun and something almost anyone could shoot. So far I am honestly a bit disappointed in it but just got a box of the regulation ammo so need to shoot it some more.

However, I don't consider this a serious entry into the double rifle World. I always thought if I did it, I would want a 470 NE, that caliber just calls to me as the go to Double rifle caliber;)

@IdaRam got me thinking when he started a thread asking about what might be a deal as to holding resale and making a double rifle a decent investment, or at least one to not lose too much money on. So I thought that was a great goal to keep in mind if I ever did buy a good double...

And then that Marcel Thys 470 NE came up for sale some time back, right here on AH. Although I would have preferred some game scene engraving, the gun really caught my attention. I asked for advice privately for several members on here and of course when it comes to other members helping a guy spend money on a gun, or almost anything for that matter... There is never any shortage of encouragement. But this was a gun with limited info and not exactly a primary band that everyone knows something about... So I took the advice of several members and talked the seller into sending the gun to J.J. Perodeau.

J.J. found a few items to repair as the gun had been just sitting for many years and the main problem was just dried up grease. He loved the gun and actually had Marcel Thys as an instructor in school. It is a Best quality Gun, shoots fantastic. And he highly recommended I buy it. So I did.

Just got it today, popped off a couple rounds, so far so good :)
M. Thys 470NE target.jpg
M. Thys 470NE 1.jpg
M. Thys 470NE 2.jpg
M. Thys 470NE 3.jpg
M. Thys 470NE 4.jpg
M. Thys 470NE in case.jpg

Magnificent. Rose & Scroll is the perfect engraving for a "Best" gun. And Marcel never made a better one. Congrats on a truly wonderful thing. I don't believe a double can't shoot better than that.

Magnificent. Rose & Scroll is the perfect engraving for a "Best" gun. And Marcel never made a better one. Congrats on a truly wonderful thing. I don't believe a double can't shoot better than that.
Thanks for all your help Sir.

Geez. Let me try that again —- “I don’t believe a double can shoot better than that.” Outstanding rifle.

Beautiful ! My only question is that now that you have taken every animal except a blue whale, what are you going to hunt with it? Or maybe you'll just keep it around and admire it!......Congratulations!

Beautiful ! My only question is that now that you have taken every animal except a blue whale, what are you going to hunt with it? Or maybe you'll just keep it around and admire it!......Congratulations!
David, if you were to check, I can pretty much guarantee that every outfitter and PH on here will be happy to let you shoot more than one of each species, may need to arrange for quota or tags, but they will all be happy to work that out;)

But specifically, I'd really like to take it to Uganda for Nile buffalo:)

And I have a very long wish list left;)

Welcome to the double club for sure. That is a beautiful rifle Bob!

David, if you were to check, I can pretty much guarantee that every outfitter and PH on here will be happy to let you shoot more than one of each species, may need to arrange for quota or tags, but they will all be happy to work that out;)

But specifically, I'd really like to take it to Uganda for Nile buffalo:)

And I have a very long wish list left;)
Hunting another buffalo is always the right decision.

Hunting another buffalo is always the right decision.
Yup, and then there are those little mean ones in West Africa to go after too.... And Uganda has some great cape buffalo also, so makes sense to hunt both there;)

Yup, and then there are those little mean ones in West Africa to go after too.... And Uganda has some great cape buffalo also, so makes sense to hunt both there;)
Be careful of @Red Leg 's advice. Everyone knows he is buffalo biased!

Congrats, I'm sure you will use the gun for it's intended purpose!

Well done Bob!

Can't wait to have you down to TX for our first "Gentlemen of AH Big Bore Double Shoot"....or something like that! :)

Tim

Well done Bob!

Can't wait to have you down to TX for our first "Gentlemen of AH Big Bore Double Shoot"....or something like that! :)

Tim
So, are you saying @Royal27 can't come:sneaky:

Just let me know when, but please avoid that hot East Texas weather, and hunting season:cool:

So, are you saying @Royal27 can't come:sneaky:

Just let me know when, but please avoid that hot East Texas weather, and hunting season:cool:

I think February would be perfect!

January and March work, too.

Right about now, Royal might be disqualified on TWO counts!!

Damn left-handed genius...
Wellll, you could just make it a big bore shoot and take out the double part... but then there is still that Gentalman thing;)

Congratulations Bob! Wonderful rifle, looks even better sitting on your table than it did on AH! Keep finding myself coveting thy neighbors doubles here lately! I’d upgrade tomorrow if I didn’t have this damn hunting problem to pay for!
Once again, fine gun and hope it serves you well in the Bush my friend!
Cheers,
Cody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg