Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
I never really thought I would get a nice double rifle. After all, they are best for a stopping gun, to be carried by the PH on a truly Dangerous Game hunt. However on my last trip to Amarillo TX, I stopped in to look at the newest Italian offerings and ended up getting a nicely engraved Sabatti 9.3x74R. Thought it would be fun and something almost anyone could shoot. So far I am honestly a bit disappointed in it but just got a box of the regulation ammo so need to shoot it some more.

However, I don't consider this a serious entry into the double rifle World. I always thought if I did it, I would want a 470 NE, that caliber just calls to me as the go to Double rifle caliber;)

@IdaRam got me thinking when he started a thread asking about what might be a deal as to holding resale and making a double rifle a decent investment, or at least one to not lose too much money on. So I thought that was a great goal to keep in mind if I ever did buy a good double...

And then that Marcel Thys 470 NE came up for sale some time back, right here on AH. Although I would have preferred some game scene engraving, the gun really caught my attention. I asked for advice privately for several members on here and of course when it comes to other members helping a guy spend money on a gun, or almost anything for that matter... There is never any shortage of encouragement. But this was a gun with limited info and not exactly a primary band that everyone knows something about... So I took the advice of several members and talked the seller into sending the gun to J.J. Perodeau.

J.J. found a few items to repair as the gun had been just sitting for many years and the main problem was just dried up grease. He loved the gun and actually had Marcel Thys as an instructor in school. It is a Best quality Gun, shoots fantastic. And he highly recommended I buy it. So I did.

Just got it today, popped off a couple rounds, so far so good :)
M. Thys 470NE target.jpg
M. Thys 470NE 1.jpg
M. Thys 470NE 2.jpg
M. Thys 470NE 3.jpg
M. Thys 470NE 4.jpg
M. Thys 470NE in case.jpg

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Magnificent. Rose & Scroll is the perfect engraving for a "Best" gun. And Marcel never made a better one. Congrats on a truly wonderful thing. I don't believe a double can't shoot better than that.

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Magnificent. Rose & Scroll is the perfect engraving for a "Best" gun. And Marcel never made a better one. Congrats on a truly wonderful thing. I don't believe a double can't shoot better than that.
Thanks for all your help Sir.

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Geez. Let me try that again —- “I don’t believe a double can shoot better than that.” Outstanding rifle.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Beautiful ! My only question is that now that you have taken every animal except a blue whale, what are you going to hunt with it? Or maybe you'll just keep it around and admire it!......Congratulations!

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
Geez. Let me try that again —- “I don’t believe a double can shoot better than that.” Outstanding rifle.

:A Whacky:.....:E Rofl:...and @ActionBob bout time !! And congratulations on a nice new toy and welcome to the double club :D Beers:

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Beautiful ! My only question is that now that you have taken every animal except a blue whale, what are you going to hunt with it? Or maybe you'll just keep it around and admire it!......Congratulations!
David, if you were to check, I can pretty much guarantee that every outfitter and PH on here will be happy to let you shoot more than one of each species, may need to arrange for quota or tags, but they will all be happy to work that out;)

But specifically, I'd really like to take it to Uganda for Nile buffalo:)

And I have a very long wish list left;)

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Welcome to the double club for sure. That is a beautiful rifle Bob!

Red Leg

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
Hunted
David, if you were to check, I can pretty much guarantee that every outfitter and PH on here will be happy to let you shoot more than one of each species, may need to arrange for quota or tags, but they will all be happy to work that out;)

But specifically, I'd really like to take it to Uganda for Nile buffalo:)

And I have a very long wish list left;)
Hunting another buffalo is always the right decision.

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Hunting another buffalo is always the right decision.
Yup, and then there are those little mean ones in West Africa to go after too.... And Uganda has some great cape buffalo also, so makes sense to hunt both there;)

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Yup, and then there are those little mean ones in West Africa to go after too.... And Uganda has some great cape buffalo also, so makes sense to hunt both there;)
Be careful of @Red Leg 's advice. Everyone knows he is buffalo biased!

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Congrats, I'm sure you will use the gun for it's intended purpose!

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Well done Bob!

Can't wait to have you down to TX for our first "Gentlemen of AH Big Bore Double Shoot"....or something like that! :)

Tim

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Well done Bob!

Can't wait to have you down to TX for our first "Gentlemen of AH Big Bore Double Shoot"....or something like that! :)

Tim
So, are you saying @Royal27 can't come:sneaky:

Just let me know when, but please avoid that hot East Texas weather, and hunting season:cool:

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
So, are you saying @Royal27 can't come:sneaky:

Just let me know when, but please avoid that hot East Texas weather, and hunting season:cool:

I think February would be perfect!

January and March work, too.

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Right about now, Royal might be disqualified on TWO counts!!

Damn left-handed genius...
Wellll, you could just make it a big bore shoot and take out the double part... but then there is still that Gentalman thing;)

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Wellll, you could just make it a big bore shoot and take out the double part... but then there is still that Gentalman thing;)

EXACTLY!

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Congratulations Bob! Wonderful rifle, looks even better sitting on your table than it did on AH! Keep finding myself coveting thy neighbors doubles here lately! I’d upgrade tomorrow if I didn’t have this damn hunting problem to pay for!
Once again, fine gun and hope it serves you well in the Bush my friend!
Cheers,
Cody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittnyShi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby