rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Hey friends,

My son needs a set of tripod shooting sticks. We tried with the primos bipod tonight and they are terrible. He doesn’t have $400-$500 to buy a pair of the super fancy ones at his age. I’m wondering if anyone has a pair they’d sell? (Don’t want plastic type, seeking wood shaft type)

PM me if you have a set available.

Last edited:
I just picked up a set of Sticks from African Sporting Creations, upgraded package and it was shipped to my door for $260. Great set of sticks that will last a lifetime. Buy once, cry once.

Rookhawk, go to the hardware store or local Home depot or Lowes and buy some 4' dowel stock 3/4" in diameter. Then go to your local Vacuum Cleaner repair shop and get a Kirby drive belt. Assemble then cut to size. We made a set for my 8 year old grandson Trip last year. Worked great. Cost under $25.00.

Rookhawk, go to the hardware store or local Home depot or Lowes and buy some 4' dowel stock 3/4" in diameter. Then go to your local Vacuum Cleaner repair shop and get a Kirby drive belt. Assemble then cut to size. We made a set for my 8 year old grandson Trip last year. Worked great. Cost under $25.00.

+1

I made a set for myself, except I used 6' dowels. Not fancy but they work. You can also get Primos Jim Shokey tripod for about $120.

My son uses the Tripod trigger sticks as well. Quick and easy to adjust.

Along the same idea, I have been thinking about buying some of these fiberglass rods from Grainger and making my own sticks. You can get the rods in 5 ft and 10 ft lengths, however I haven't been able to determine how rigid or flexible the rods are. Might just buy a couple different diameters in the 5 ft lengths and see.

https://www.grainger.com/category/raw-materials/fiberglass/fiberglass-rod-stock

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 12.12.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 12.12.49 PM.png
    723.2 KB · Views: 277
My 8 year old son does just fine with my Bog Pod shooting sticks but he also did well with the set we made for him. I have only hunted in SA twice but both times my PH's used homemade sticks made from branches and bicycle inner tubes and they worked great.

Quick update on this, problem solved!

I reached Jim at African Sporting Creations stating that I needed "short sticks" for my kids. I mentioned I'm very tall so I can't in good conscience buy them $350 sticks they'll outgrow and that won't work for me at all.

Jim is making a custom 3 section set of sticks so that I have a good set of sticks for me, and when removing the middle section they will work for my kids. He's even making an additional set of bottom sections so that as they grow they can still use them! One set of quality sticks that will work for everybody in the family! Thanks to @African Sporting Creations for coming up with a great solution that makes the expense practical. Amazing customer service and a really helpful fellow.

FYI to the others recommending the Primos type shooting sticks...it was an unmitigated disaster at the range with my kids last night. They kept sagging/drooping. The lock didn't work and they wouldn't stay up. Reports I received from friends is the aluminum primos sticks get dents and then won't close either, should I keep using them. I'm going to retire the aluminum primos ones as soon as African Sporting Creations set arrives!

My 8 year old son does just fine with my Bog Pod shooting sticks but he also did well with the set we made for him. I have only hunted in SA twice but both times my PH's used homemade sticks made from branches and bicycle inner tubes and they worked great.

Art you should post a picture of the sticks you made!

jj@jjperodeau.com These people have the very best shooting stick platform for only $159. I have tried them all given I have my first African hunt in July. Unbelievable. I am a deadeye at 225 yards. No brainer. These are the sticks that this forum in a test provided to be the most accurate which is how I found them. They are called Bush sticks

Bog Pods are nice and offer interchangeable components

jj@jjperodeau.com These people have the very best shooting stick platform for only $159. I have tried them all given I have my first African hunt in July. Unbelievable. I am a deadeye at 225 yards. No brainer. These are the sticks that this forum in a test provided to be the most accurate which is how I found them. They are called Bush sticks
Do they have a web site?

Hi
See the attached photo, they are available from Bushware in the Uk. They cost £90.
They are what I use here in the Uk and in SA

6D2FDAEF-16C6-4D7F-BF3B-2588D5D01417.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The dowel rod and vacuum cleaner belt are great and you can usually find both at the big box hardware stores. I use the trigger stick tripod while guiding and love them.

I recently purchased a Viper Flex and I really like using it when I shoot my double rifles.

Viper Flex

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.29.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.29.57 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.29.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.29.59 PM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.30.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.30.01 PM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 55
This guy might have brought some shooting skills of his own but 600m to 8" plate off sticks is no joke.

I've been considering sticks that support the back of the rifle and those look cool!
If you decide to get a pair of quad sticks make sure you get a pair that has a flat front and not a V. The flat front gives you a good range of motion without taking the rifle out of a neutral position. Sticks with a V still have a range of motion but left or right is in tension and it wants to go back to that neutral position, so difficult to shoot accurately. I can regularly shoot 3”-5” groups at 300 yards with my 4 stable sticks, and think viper flex sticks are equally good. I can place an accurate shot off my quad sticks faster than a tripod, but it takes some practice to get use to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg