rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Hey friends,

My son needs a set of tripod shooting sticks. We tried with the primos bipod tonight and they are terrible. He doesn’t have $400-$500 to buy a pair of the super fancy ones at his age. I’m wondering if anyone has a pair they’d sell? (Don’t want plastic type, seeking wood shaft type)

PM me if you have a set available.

Last edited:

jdemocko

Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I just picked up a set of Sticks from African Sporting Creations, upgraded package and it was shipped to my door for $260. Great set of sticks that will last a lifetime. Buy once, cry once.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Rookhawk, go to the hardware store or local Home depot or Lowes and buy some 4' dowel stock 3/4" in diameter. Then go to your local Vacuum Cleaner repair shop and get a Kirby drive belt. Assemble then cut to size. We made a set for my 8 year old grandson Trip last year. Worked great. Cost under $25.00.

jeanes

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
TSRA Life Member, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Colorado, South Dakota
Rookhawk, go to the hardware store or local Home depot or Lowes and buy some 4' dowel stock 3/4" in diameter. Then go to your local Vacuum Cleaner repair shop and get a Kirby drive belt. Assemble then cut to size. We made a set for my 8 year old grandson Trip last year. Worked great. Cost under $25.00.
+1

I made a set for myself, except I used 6' dowels. Not fancy but they work. You can also get Primos Jim Shokey tripod for about $120.

Warpig602

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
My son uses the Tripod trigger sticks as well. Quick and easy to adjust.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
Along the same idea, I have been thinking about buying some of these fiberglass rods from Grainger and making my own sticks. You can get the rods in 5 ft and 10 ft lengths, however I haven't been able to determine how rigid or flexible the rods are. Might just buy a couple different diameters in the 5 ft lengths and see.

https://www.grainger.com/category/raw-materials/fiberglass/fiberglass-rod-stock

Attachments

Art Lambart II

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
My 8 year old son does just fine with my Bog Pod shooting sticks but he also did well with the set we made for him. I have only hunted in SA twice but both times my PH's used homemade sticks made from branches and bicycle inner tubes and they worked great.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Quick update on this, problem solved!

I reached Jim at African Sporting Creations stating that I needed "short sticks" for my kids. I mentioned I'm very tall so I can't in good conscience buy them $350 sticks they'll outgrow and that won't work for me at all.

Jim is making a custom 3 section set of sticks so that I have a good set of sticks for me, and when removing the middle section they will work for my kids. He's even making an additional set of bottom sections so that as they grow they can still use them! One set of quality sticks that will work for everybody in the family! Thanks to @African Sporting Creations for coming up with a great solution that makes the expense practical. Amazing customer service and a really helpful fellow.

FYI to the others recommending the Primos type shooting sticks...it was an unmitigated disaster at the range with my kids last night. They kept sagging/drooping. The lock didn't work and they wouldn't stay up. Reports I received from friends is the aluminum primos sticks get dents and then won't close either, should I keep using them. I'm going to retire the aluminum primos ones as soon as African Sporting Creations set arrives!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
My 8 year old son does just fine with my Bog Pod shooting sticks but he also did well with the set we made for him. I have only hunted in SA twice but both times my PH's used homemade sticks made from branches and bicycle inner tubes and they worked great.
Art you should post a picture of the sticks you made!

Rare Breed

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
jj@jjperodeau.com These people have the very best shooting stick platform for only $159. I have tried them all given I have my first African hunt in July. Unbelievable. I am a deadeye at 225 yards. No brainer. These are the sticks that this forum in a test provided to be the most accurate which is how I found them. They are called Bush sticks

REB1136

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, NRA
Hunted
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Bog Pods are nice and offer interchangeable components

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings