My second rifle choice

You certainly make a strong argument here. To reduce the chances of my DB failing is one of the reasons I went with a new Gun. Of course anything may happen, including things outside of our control.
Understand 375 in this case is a adequate back up, no question about it. However I'm not going to Africa this year or before end of next year. I plan to hone my skills first, by hunting locally, US, Canada and Alaska during this time. Would I need a 375 as a back up here, probably not before I go hunting for Grizzlies and Brownies and by then I will have 375 as my primary..

Do you have a 7x57 aka 275 Rigby?

I’ve hunted more animals worldwide with that gun than all others combined.

In my opinion, the question may be phrased incorrectly. A single gun for everything in NA, including Brownies is the 375 H&H. People take grizzly with smaller than that, but it's not a stopper. 416 can be argued as better. If I'm hunting anything anywhere big bears are, I'm taking the 375 and 10mm or 7.5FK backup, no matter what. The 375 can do nearly everything in NA except certain specialty uses such as sheep and such. So, I would buy a 375 and a 30 of some sort of which there are numerous excellent choices.

No doubt a strong case can be made for the 338s and 35s but for me, not for big bears. And as the man said, 375 H&H and 30-06 can be found in nearly any store or camp.

Because of the "one rifle requirement" I would get a switch barrel like the R8 or others. They pack easy and go anywhere. Stocks can be plastic to exhibition grade wood. Or a custom takedown with barrels for 375 and another cartridge in that case family.

Not an R8 debate.
I respectfully disagree - This is what I wrote "I never said one rifle to do it all"

I have a 470 double and am contemplating my next rifle preferably a bolt gun. I plan to use this across all continents including N America. Looking for something in smaller caliber than the .40. I have been looking closely at the ubiquitous 375 H&H, 9.3X62, 9.3X74 and so on. Should be convenient to carry and fun to shoot and more importantly ammunition readily available, including reloading stuff.

Or should I go for a 375 double as a small brother..

Thanks for your feedback.

This is a spare best gun I’d consider selling. Not sure if it’s your cup of tea, it’s a stalking rifle which is a separate discussion versus caliber. Speed of target acquisition and easy stalks are its speciality. In this house, we don’t own a single small bore of any caliber that isn’t a stalking rifle.

7x57 best Dakota

18623002-3929-4308-9CDF-723F810C199B.jpeg

Its probably the most versatile smallbore ever made. When legal, it accounted for thousands of elephants due to its incredible penetration, yet it’s a light recoil caliber that allows for very lightweight rifles. Bullets from 120gr up to 180gr. Incredible B.C.s.

I’ve used it for bear, elk, deer, kudu, warthogs steenbok, duiker, waterbuck, hyena, and dozens of impala. Of course the caliber cut its teeth as a moose and elk caliber on two continents.

I won't knock the 7x57 but one of the requirements that the OP posted was the availability of loaded ammo.

I couldn't tell you when I have ever seen 7x57 ammo sitting in a large box store much less at the corner gas station.

People say the same thing about my .340 Weatherby, but I haven't shot a factory round out of it in close to 30 years and just plan on shooting only my reloads.

The best choice depend on where you live or hunt. In Europe the choice would be 9,3x62 then 338W and 300W. 375HH too much expensive in Europe. 9,3 can do everything till 200m, cheap, large choice of bullets, available everywhere.

The best choice depend on where you live or hunt. In Europe the choice would be 9,3x62 then 338W and 300W. 375HH too much expensive in Europe. 9,3 can do everything till 200m, cheap, large choice of bullets, available everywhere.

I think of LGS ammo availability is a lost cause. Even if a 270 or 30-06, what they have in stock isn’t hunting conditions acceptable. So we’re back to internet in which case 7x57 and 300WM come into play easily.

I bought five boxes of premium 7x57 on this very forum last week. Many gun shops carry the federal blue box which I don’t recommend.

plan ahead no matter what caliber you buy is the point. The best hunting loads are scarce in everything and the net is your friend.

I think of LGS ammo availability is a lost cause. Even if a 270 or 30-06, what they have in stock isn’t hunting conditions acceptable. So we’re back to internet in which case 7x57 and 300WM come into play easily.

I bought five boxes of premium 7x57 on this very forum last week. Many gun shops carry the federal blue box which I don’t recommend.

plan ahead no matter what caliber you buy is the point. The best hunting loads are scarce in everything and the net is your friend.
True that. I'm well stocked up on factory Norma soft and solids for my 470, Hornady ammo and Swift A frames, different powders, primers, and variety of bullets for reloading, just waiting to get a little cooler out here for the fun to begin..

As to premium I only see blue boxes, curious which other one are you alluding to?

True that. I'm well stocked up on factory Norma soft and solids for my 470, Hornady ammo and Swift A frames, different powders, primers, and variety of bullets for reloading, just waiting to get a little cooler out here for the fun to begin..

As to premium I only see blue boxes, curious which other one are you alluding to?

The good 7x57 is the S&B lines, the Nosler custom, the Nosler other one, the RWS, and the GECO.

Of course hand load with a-frames would put the caliber in a completely different range of uses, as would 140gr ttsx

The good 7x57 is the S&B lines, the Nosler custom, the Nosler other one, the RWS, and the GECO.

Of course hand load with a-frames would put the caliber in a completely different range of uses, as would 140gr ttsx
Thanks I see lots for S&B lines, so ammo here is not an issue I presume

My 375 can also be used for precise shots on plains game etc.. but occasionally it bites at both ends.. so needs a firm hold and scope with lots of eye relief..
On the croc I had to shoot prone at 175m and scope eyepiece cut me twice, so scope was then set forward another 10mm for the rest of hunt. It was nice to carry one rifle for all game.
Caprivi area Crocodile, Hippo, Warthog etc with Byron Hart Safaris, a great trip.
20191123_183513.jpg

20191128_065110.jpg
20191119_103926.jpg

Last edited:
The description of the rifle says the following

"The double cross-bolting as well as the slightly longer stock are the answer to the fact that its chamber will be filled by either a .375 H&H Magnum, a .416 Rigby or even a .450 Rigby. This means that the big game hunter holds a rifle in their hand which, along with its supreme reliability and its uncompromising firepower, provides exactly the spare capacity with its six (-375) or five-shot (.416 and .450) which is a clear advantage over a double-barrelled rifle. "

This is a little confusing to me if not to knowledgeable folks out here. That's the beauty of this forum, to ask, to learn, and one day very soon help others by giving back the immense help I have received here.
Yes by writing "The chamber can be filled by either" makes it sound like it's optional as to which ammo you use.

That's what I thought you were thinking. It's somehow a multi calibre.

Buy a .375H&H you won't be disappointed and they are easy to sell if you want to move it on later.

Blaser seem to have the multi calibre options sorted. They have interchangeable barrels and you can change bolts and magazines to use smaller cartridges to suit.

If you have a .470 a .375 can be used on a variety of game in Africa or the world over.

If you want something smaller than a .300wm the .30-06 and .308 are common too.

The 7x57 has history.

If you have a .470 a .375 can be used on a variety of game in Africa or the world over.

If you want something smaller than a .300wm the .30-06 and .308 are common too.

I think that if one has a .470 then a .375 is not needed. I agree with the .308 caliber cartridges mentioned.

On my most recent hunt I fired one solid and one soft out of my .500 NE for elephant and buffalo. Other 8 species were taken with the .300 RUM from 60 to 217 meters.

If you have a 470 for Africa DG and it breaks, is stolen, or your ammo never made it, what’s your plan? That’s why everyone buys a 375HH.

Well, in case of stolen, both guns would be gone, in regards to ammo the same thing. .470 ammo just like .375 AND .300WM ammo also are widely available in Africa.

And to be honest, the odds of the above happening are pretty remote as long as one is not flying United ;) .

If a .470 is your only rifle, I would get something like a .30/06 or a .300 WM as my next rifle.

Then, a .375 H&H

Then, a 7x57, .270, etc.

Then, a .338 Win.

Then, a 6.5, .260, .257, etc.

Then, a .223 to .243

Then, start filling in the many gaps that still exist.

Thank the Good Lord I live in the USA, despite all of it's faults!

If a .470 is your only rifle, I would get something like a .30/06 or a .300 WM as my next rifle.

Then, a .375 H&H

Then, a 7x57, .270, etc.

Then, a .338 Win.

Then, a 6.5, .260, .257, etc.

Then, a .223 to .243

Then, start filling in the many gaps that still exist.

Thank the Good Lord I live in the USA, despite all of it's faults!
That would be nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross