Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.42.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.42.47 PM.png
    732.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.42.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.42.51 PM.png
    398.3 KB · Views: 48
I saw this and -
I'm wondering if you can have it with a round each of each calibre, and discharge as needed. If so that's pretty cool...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.43.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.43.11 PM.png
    904 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.43.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 7.43.13 PM.png
    432.7 KB · Views: 45
Hello soumya,

Auguste Francotte Best Rifles are among the Best European rifles!! The asking price is correct, and usual, for A. Francotte Best bolt action rifles.

I saw this and -
I'm wondering if you can have it with a round each of each calibre, and discharge as needed. If so that's pretty cool...
A couple of options I would consider if I were in your position.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.41.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.41.21 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.41.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.41.22 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.41.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.41.43 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.41.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 7.41.44 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 35
A couple of options I would consider if I were in your position.
No doubt very nice rifles, but out of my range..

I have a 470 double and am contemplating my next rifle preferably a bolt gun. I plan to use this across all continents including N America. Looking for something in smaller caliber than the .40. I have been looking closely at the ubiquitous 375 H&H, 9.3X62, 9.3X74 and so on. Should be convenient to carry and fun to shoot and more importantly ammunition readily available, including reloading stuff.

Or should I go for a 375 double as a small brother..

Thanks for your feedback.
Personally I'd steer you towards some sort of .300WM bolt action. You can use it for anything on any continent. You have a variety of bullet options available to you in both factory ammo and for reloading components. If you need to get ammo in another state or country it should be somewhat available. You can use if for most any hunting distance and long range hunting.

Should you want some other caliber options, .30-06, .308 Win, .270 Win, .280AI, .257wby are some other personal favorites. The last couple might be challenging to find ammo in other countries.

I have a 470 double and am contemplating my next rifle preferably a bolt gun. I plan to use this across all continents including N America. Looking for something in smaller caliber than the .40. I have been looking closely at the ubiquitous 375 H&H, 9.3X62, 9.3X74 and so on. Should be convenient to carry and fun to shoot and more importantly ammunition readily available, including reloading stuff.

Or should I go for a 375 double as a small brother..

Thanks for your feedback.

A 375HH. It is backup for anything a 470 must do, it can be loaded down with 235gr bullets to be a do all elk and mule deer rifle too.

I saw this and -
If you are asking can you choose to change which cartridge you use in this rifle the , No.

It say it will be chambered one of those cartridges. The barrel can only use one sort of ammo.

If I misunderstood your comment my apologies but if you are thinking you could interchange this in the field I suggest you need to learn a little more about firearms before committing to such a rifle.

Hi soumya,

I see the 9,3x62 as a very useful second rifle for your needs. More so, you can use any 250 gr factory load for everything, chosing diferent bullet as needed. And even more, if you, or a friend, are handloaders, the 9,3x62 can be improved safely and significantly.
Good luck!

CF

If I misunderstood your comment my apologies but if you are thinking you could interchange this in the field I suggest you need to learn a little more about firearms before committing to such a rifle.
The description of the rifle says the following

"The double cross-bolting as well as the slightly longer stock are the answer to the fact that its chamber will be filled by either a .375 H&H Magnum, a .416 Rigby or even a .450 Rigby. This means that the big game hunter holds a rifle in their hand which, along with its supreme reliability and its uncompromising firepower, provides exactly the spare capacity with its six (-375) or five-shot (.416 and .450) which is a clear advantage over a double-barrelled rifle. "

This is a little confusing to me if not to knowledgeable folks out here. That's the beauty of this forum, to ask, to learn, and one day very soon help others by giving back the immense help I have received here.

Name the person who regrets a 375.
You bet, but to each his own... My desire at this time is to add a light bolt action in medium calibre that is easy to lug around, use, and ammo readily available. I feel 300 WM may be a tad o the heavy side in terms of it being a magnum, hence I'm leaning towards a 30.06. I've not decided yet as there are so many to choose from : 300 RUM, 9.3, 308 and so on...

A 375HH. It is backup for anything a 470 must do, it can be loaded down with 235gr bullets to be a do all elk and mule deer rifle too.
This is third or fourth on my list along with a .257 WBY possibly

In my opinion, the question may be phrased incorrectly. A single gun for everything in NA, including Brownies is the 375 H&H. People take grizzly with smaller than that, but it's not a stopper. 416 can be argued as better. If I'm hunting anything anywhere big bears are, I'm taking the 375 and 10mm or 7.5FK backup, no matter what. The 375 can do nearly everything in NA except certain specialty uses such as sheep and such. So, I would buy a 375 and a 30 of some sort of which there are numerous excellent choices.

No doubt a strong case can be made for the 338s and 35s but for me, not for big bears. And as the man said, 375 H&H and 30-06 can be found in nearly any store or camp.

Because of the "one rifle requirement" I would get a switch barrel like the R8 or others. They pack easy and go anywhere. Stocks can be plastic to exhibition grade wood. Or a custom takedown with barrels for 375 and another cartridge in that case family.

Not an R8 debate.

This is third or fourth on my list along with a .257 WBY possibly

If you have a 470 for Africa DG and it breaks, is stolen, or your ammo never made it, what’s your plan? That’s why everyone buys a 375HH.

On my first 4-5 safaris I brought three guns: 470 or 500, 375, and a 7x57.

I got sick of lugging all that, sick of ammo weight restrictions, and sick of having the wrong gun in hand when the game showed up. Also sick of the extra $5000-$10000 for a business class ticket to allow me the 70lb gun weight limit.

So at that point I went to two rifles. A double and a 375HH. The 375HH is also the only DG rifle that is practical for all types of American hunting so it actually gets used.

To each their own. A 7x57 is the perfect third gun, but you want a second gun and none of the choices but 375 provide you the backup plan that justifies the aggravation of bringing another gun.

You bet, but to each his own... My desire at this time is to add a light bolt action in medium calibre that is easy to lug around, use, and ammo readily available. I feel 300 WM may be a tad o the heavy side in terms of it being a magnum, hence I'm leaning towards a 30.06. I've not decided yet as there are so many to choose from : 300 RUM, 9.3, 308 and so on...

If you consider the 300 WM on the heavy side you won't want the 300 RUM.

In today's world most rifles are going to weigh in about the same. Long, short action, magnum or standard caliber. That is unless you go a custom route. There are those rifles in standard calibers that are what the manufacture calls "mountain rifles" that will have few pounds shaved off of them but even these rifles come in some of the magnum calibers.

I would still look hard at the 300 WM. Even our corner gas station where I live have some boxes of them sitting on the shelves along with the 7mm Rem mag, 30-06, 270 Win and a few others.

If you have a 470 for Africa DG and it breaks, is stolen, or your ammo never made it, what’s your plan? That’s why everyone buys a 375HH.

On my first 4-5 safaris I brought three guns: 470 or 500, 375, and a 7x57.

I got sick of lugging all that, sick of ammo weight restrictions, and sick of having the wrong gun in hand when the game showed up. Also sick of the extra $5000-$10000 for a business class ticket to allow me the 70lb gun weight limit.

So at that point I went to two rifles. A double and a 375HH. The 375HH is also the only DG rifle that is practical for all types of American hunting so it actually gets used.

To each their own. A 7x57 is the perfect third gun, but you want a second gun and none of the choices but 375 provide you the backup plan that justifies the aggravation of bringing another gun.
You certainly make a strong argument here. To reduce the chances of my DB failing is one of the reasons I went with a new Gun. Of course anything may happen, including things outside of our control.
Understand 375 in this case is a adequate back up, no question about it. However I'm not going to Africa this year or before end of next year. I plan to hone my skills first, by hunting locally, US, Canada and Alaska during this time. Would I need a 375 as a back up here, probably not before I go hunting for Grizzlies and Brownies and by then I will have 375 as my primary..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shay778767

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.