My new Rand's hat is on the way...

Just got an email that the hat I had ordered last year is ready and being shipped Monday. Here are the pictures they sent. I wanted it to be ready before my October hunt and they exceeded my expectations. Drover style 20X beaver with custom bead hat band with a light distress.

View attachment 533670

View attachment 533671

View attachment 533672
Nice looking hat Tanks. As I think you know, I have been wearing Rands for over twenty years now. Once you are measured, and had one made, it is nice to know every other one after that will be a perfect fit.

Like most people who own and wear a quality hat, I have no use for wool felt. It is a lousy material, compared to fur (and especially beaver) at repelling water. And like all wool when wet, they tend to stink. They are also very unforgiving in the heat compared to a properly fitted beaver felt hat.

That said, the experts on the appearance of "real hats" and the people who wear them should look around a Texas sale or diner. When working, virtually everyone down this way wears straw - whether working horseback or on equipment. A beaver hat tends to be for business or perhaps funerals or just because.

I virtually always hunt Africa, or the American west with a brimmed hat. I have a close and enduring relationship with my dermatologist, and that is a mutual agreement. In really hot weather, I often use a cotton crushable, particularly if it is a difficult travel destination. Though, I have used both in the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique. I have never found a brim a problem stalking game.

Blaser S2 Double Rifle

Eland Hunt In Mozambique

on the rare occasion I go to cattle auction, you can always spot the new money investment ranchers(tax evasion professionals and insurance farmers) with the hats that only come out of the box for auction day.
I'll never forget when I first heard the statement "All hat, no cattle" ;)

It was a Kansas attorney talking about the shortcomings of a certain Texan CPA. I almost fell off my chair. :)

I'll never forget when I first heard the statement "All hat, no cattle" ;)

It was a Kansas attorney talking about the shortcomings of a certain Texan CPA. I almost fell off my chair. :)
"W" used the expression often. Still not sure on which side of the model he actually stood.

Nice looking hat Tanks. As I think you know, I have been wearing Rands for over twenty years now. Once you are measured, and had one made, it is nice to know every other one after that will be a perfect fit.

Like most people who own and wear a quality hat, I have no use for wool felt. It is a lousy material, compared to fur (and especially beaver) at repelling water. And like all wool when wet, they tend to stink. They are also very unforgiving in the heat compared to a properly fitted beaver felt hat.

That said, the experts on the appearance of "real hats" and the people who wear them should look around a Texas sale or diner. When working, virtually everyone down this way wears straw - whether working horseback or on equipment. A beaver hat tends to be for business or perhaps funerals or just because.

I virtually always hunt Africa, or the American west with a brimmed hat. I have a close and enduring relationship with my dermatologist, and that is a mutual agreement. In really hot weather, I often use a cotton crushable, particularly if it is a difficult travel destination. Though, I have used both in the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique. I have never found a brim a problem stalking game.

Blaser S2 Double Rifle

Eland Hunt In Mozambique
On my trips I have worn a brimmed kangaroo hat that seems to stand up to sun, dust and rain. I can crush it in brush and it pops right out again. Might not look very stylish but man can it take a beating, light and comfortable on my head

Out of interest what's so good about rand hats?.....are they the top maker ..or....
Well known, custom hat maker in Billings, Montana. They do it the old fashion way, making custom made hats. A bit pricey, but a great hat that will last a lifetime (unless you lose it).

Out of interest what's so good about rand hats?.....are they the top maker ..or....
It's a matter of style. A hat is a hat. Some models provide a few extra utility features beyond covering one's head. A wide brim may provide limited protection from the sun and shade the eyes, but at a cost: heavy, bulky in thick cover, a sail in the wind. As for protection from the elements, there are certainly many better options. For wind, cold, and rain, a ball cap under a hood can't be beat. The bill of the cap will keep the hood from wandering into line of sight. I prefer to hunt with ears open but I also prefer to not have them frost bit or laying in bed with pneumonia. In most situations a ball cap is all I need to keep my eyes shaded and glasses shielded from rain or debris. The closer my headgear fits to my head, the less likely it will get peeled off in the brush. If I need sun protection, I'll open a jug of sunscreen. I have a "flats cap" (French Foreign Legion style) for harsh situations (e.g. fishing on calm water where sun beats on me from two directions). But I rarely need it. Stocking caps have recently become the rage among waterfowl hunters for reasons that entirely escape me. No eyes/glasses protection from wind and rain (the ideal conditions for waterfowl hunting) and no shading for bright face (also a necessity for waterfowl hunting). But hey, the Duck Commanders wear camo stocking caps so it must be the proper thing to wear, right? Pffft.

Last edited:
Well known, custom hat maker in Billings, Montana. They do it the old fashion way, making custom made hats. A bit pricey, but a great hat that will last a lifetime (unless you lose it).

I’m not sure they are better than any other custom hat maker. I don’t have enough knowledge to state one way or another. I do know that they build your hat for YOUR specific head and shape. Most people have a misshapen head one way or another. I know every hat I wear I hafta turn slightly to port. Not with the Rand. Plus, it was designed in every detail by me and its got my name etched inside it. Cool as hell. And my ol’ lady thinks it’s sexy. Not sure what the girlfriend is gonna think. :cool:

Took a while to find an image I could use.
View attachment 534183
The hat has enough crown to stay on his head but the brim is definitely overkill. As is the length of that double rifle. Har, har! And only someone looking for a cheap vasectomy would carry a bare Bowie knife under his belt. That entire movie was all about fantasy so exaggeration is acceptable. Indeed exaggeration is what made it work. As for me, I am no character from the comic books. I am me.
View attachment 534185
“Looking for a cheap vasectomy “ LOL I’ll have to remember that one!

View attachment 533905
This crushable wool felt hat is genuinely distressed by twelve years of wearing. I bought it at an Oakhurst, California grocery store a few months before my son died in 2009. I was working at Yosemite then. Cost less than twenty bucks as I recall. It's made a couple trips to Africa but never to hunt. Brimmed hats are purely ornamental. They get knocked off in brush or blown off in the breeze. I wear a ball cap when hunting. Over the years I've gone through several beaver felt hats as an animal packer, ranch hand, and park ranger. This was my first crushable wool felt hat. I'll never go back to fur felt.
I too wear BB style hats when hunting. Here, one has to wear a fluorescent orange head covering when hunting big game. I wear a cap when the weather is decent and a heavy duty "watch cap" or even a full face mask style covering when the weather is nasty as it often is. Just as my PH and tracker wore in Africa, I wear BB caps to keep the sun out of my eyes. Unless I'm hunting in a blizzard (could happen?) in Africa, that's all I'll need. LOL

It's a matter of style. A hat is a hat. Some models provide a few extra utility features beyond covering one's head. A wide brim may provide limited protection from the sun and shade the eyes, but at a cost: heavy, bulky in thick cover, a sail in the wind. As for protection from the elements, there are certainly many better options. For wind, cold, and rain, a ball cap under a hood can't be beat. The bill of the cap will keep the hood from wandering into line of sight. I prefer to hunt with ears open but I also prefer to not have them frost bit or laying in bed with pneumonia. In most situations a ball cap is all I need to keep my eyes shaded and glasses shielded from rain or debris. The closer my headgear fits to my head, the less likely it will get peeled off in the brush. If I need sun protection, I'll open a jug of sunscreen. I have a "flats cap" (French Foreign Legion style) for harsh situations (e.g. fishing on calm water where sun beats on me from two directions). But I rarely need it. Stocking caps have recently become the rage among waterfowl hunters for reasons that entirely escape me. No eyes/glasses protection from wind and rain (the ideal conditions for waterfowl hunting) and no shading for bright face (also a necessity for waterfowl hunting). But hey, the Duck Commanders wear camo stocking caps so it must be the proper thing to wear, right? Pffft.
We have had this discussion a lot of places on this site under a lot of topics.

Someone wanting a 4 wheel drive SUV can own a Chevy Trailblazer or Mercedes G 550. They both work, but they aren't the same thing.

Someone wanting a watch can own a G-shock or a Rolex Submariner. They both work, but they aren't the same thing.

Someone wanting a 7x57 can own a CZ 550 or a Rigby Highland Stalker. They both work, but they aren't the same thing.

Appreciation of quality vice utility is an age old debate. There is no right or wrong, but there does seem to be a irresistible urge to disparage any choice but one's own.

Appreciation of quality, or uniqueness, or specialized craftsmanship is indeed almost always more expensive than mass production - often far more so. I think it is unfortunate not to appreciate that creativity even if we have no desire to fit it into our budget.

For instance, I love art. We have a number of special pieces from names that appear among listed artists. None are great masters or particularly valuable. But we love them and they are far different than filling wall space with a print or photograph. Two Rembrandt portraits were just discovered that have been "missing" since 1824. They will sell for between 7 and 10 million dollars - perhaps much more. I can't begin to imagine investing that much in art any more than I can imagine ordering a bespoke Rigby Rising Bite with "best" engraving. But I also don't think that it is ridiculous to pay such sums for unique creations or that it is foolish to do so. I simply rejoice that there are patrons with such resources who can keep such interest alive.

Not everyone sees the logic of investing in a Rand hat. That is fine. But I think it is a good thing that enough do so that creations like a Rand hat, Rigby rifle, or Mercedes G Class can still exist.

Someone wanting a 4 wheel drive SUV can own a Chevy Trailblazer or Mercedes G 550. They both work, but they aren't the same thing.

Someone wanting a watch can own a G-shock or a Rolex Submariner. They both work, but they aren't the same thing.

Someone wanting a 7x57 can own a CZ 550 or a Rigby Highland Stalker. They both work, but they aren't the same thing.

Appreciation of quality vice utility is an age old debate. There is no right or wrong, but there does seem to be a irresistible urge to disparage any choice but one's own.

Appreciation of quality, or uniqueness, or specialized craftsmanship is indeed almost always more expensive than mass production - often far more so. I think it is unfortunate not to appreciate that creativity even if we have no desire to fit it into our budget.

For instance, I love art. We have a number of special pieces from names that appear among listed artists. None are great masters or particularly valuable. But we love them and they are far different than filling wall space with a print or photograph. Two Rembrandt portraits were just discovered that have been "missing" since 1824. They will sell for between 7 and 10 million dollars - perhaps much more. I can't begin to imagine investing that much in art any more than I can imagine ordering a bespoke Rigby Rising Bite with "best" engraving. But I also don't think that it is ridiculous to pay such sums for unique creations or that it is foolish to do so. I simply rejoice that there are patrons with such resources who can keep such interest alive.

Not everyone sees the logic of investing in a Rand hat. That is fine. But I think it is a good thing that enough do so that creations like a Rand hat, Rigby rifle, or Mercedes G Class can still exist.
Very well put. I also believe that supporting the artisans that make functional works of art, be it a hat, knife or gun, is a modern imperative. Supporting human creativity will be the only antedote to AI 3D printed creations that will arrive quicker than we think.

Very well put. I also believe that supporting the artisans that make functional works of art, be it a hat, knife or gun, is a modern imperative. Supporting human creativity will be the only antedote to AI 3D printed creations that will arrive quicker than we think.
I regret that there is no Rand store here. Along with Enid that will get added as a destination when I come over for the DSC or SCI show next year.

Couldn't have said it better. It is not just high end, it is about works of art that you can just see, feel and tell had care and the extra mile were put into them so that they are just pleasing. I find Maitland Smith lamps are in this category and yes, forgive me beating the drum again - the Ruger No1. You Americans don't realise what you did there, they should put one in the gallery of classic art along side the e-type jaguar.

Couldn't have said it better. It is not just high end, it is about works of art that you can just see, feel and tell had care and the extra mile were put into them so that they are just pleasing. I find Maitland Smith lamps are in this category and yes, forgive me beating the drum again - the Ruger No1. You Americans don't realise what you did there, they should put one in the gallery of classic art along side the e-type jaguar.
And a Fender, Gibson or Les Paul guitar. True American classics.

I have some nice artwork too ... on the walls in my home. But I hunt too hard for artful stuff in the field. After the second set of walnut fell apart I decided it was time to change my A5 Magnum Twelve to artless black plastic. It still kills geese just fine and my weekly average skeet or trap is above 22. Sure irks some of the guys with fancy walnut O/Us slung over their shoulders. I have one of those too but the stock is thicker and I can't shoot it as well from low gun. It usually stays in the case at home. I should sell it to someone who appreciates good art.

Last year a new fella showed up at the club with a straight grip short barrel Citori he'd just bought. Pretty thing but I was not surprised when he shot it like crap. It was painful to watch. Couldn't even break double digits. He seemed like a nice guy so I stepped up to offer help. Took him to the practice range and told him to leave the shiny grouse gun in the rack. Use my goose gun. "Wow, this thing is heavy!" Yes, that's what you need. Light guns are too whippy for moving targets. Now, watch the target not the gun. He didn't even get through a box of shells before I moved him back over to an open spot on the league. "You're ready." He broke twenty and almost soiled himself. Then he was ready to trade guns and even throw a couple hundred bucks in the deal. I told him to sell it to someone who appreciates art and cares less about breaking targets. He did and bought an 870 someone restocked in brown laminate. Shoots it very well. He should. Those are one of the best pointing shotguns ever made. Just a cheap stamped metal tool ... that just about anyone can shoot well.
20221106_164058.jpg

Triple pheasants shot in Montana last fall.

Couldn't have said it better. It is not just high end, it is about works of art ... they should put one in the gallery of classic art along side the e-type jaguar.
Oh yeah, those Jaguars were sexy alright. Just try to keep one out of the shop. Eight more cylinders and three more carbs than those little cars needed. Sometimes more is not better. Back then I had an Opal GT which was plenty sexy but also highly functional and affordable. Don't know how fast it would reach 60 mph. Fortunately, I lived through a high speed patrol car crash at age 21 which provided a lifetime cure for quick acceleration.

I have some nice artwork too ... on the walls in my home. But I hunt too hard for artful stuff in the field. After the second set of walnut fell apart I decided it was time to change my A5 Magnum Twelve to artless black plastic. It still kills geese just fine and my weekly average skeet or trap is above 22. Sure irks some of the guys with fancy walnut O/Us slung over their shoulders. I have one of those too but the stock is thicker and I can't shoot it as well from low gun. It usually stays in the case at home. I should sell it to someone who appreciates good art.

Last year a new fella showed up at the club with a straight grip short barrel Citori he'd just bought. Pretty thing but I was not surprised when he shot it like crap. It was painful to watch. Couldn't even break double digits. He seemed like a nice guy so I stepped up to offer help. Took him to the practice range and told him to leave the shiny grouse gun in the rack. Use my goose gun. "Wow, this thing is heavy!" Yes, that's what you need. Light guns are too whippy for moving targets. Now, watch the target not the gun. He didn't even get through a box of shells before I moved him back over to an open spot on the league. "You're ready." He broke twenty and almost soiled himself. Then he was ready to trade guns and even throw a couple hundred bucks in the deal. I told him to sell it to someone who appreciates art and cares less about breaking targets. He did and bought an 870 someone restocked in brown laminate. Shoots it very well. He should. Those are one of the best pointing shotguns ever made. Just a cheap stamped metal tool ... that just about anyone can shoot well.
View attachment 534292
Triple pheasants shot in Montana last fall.
Come on OH, at least get the plastic painted wood grain....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouiseHunt

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross